Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 02:47 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,064,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I don't doubt that people who move to Ghana/Africa make working in Ghana/throughout Africa happen. However, I've also seen struggles, particularly for those people who don't have work visas or otherwise have a right to work within the continent as citizens of a nation, etc. That brings me to the first video you posted. The family did get up and move from Europe to Ghana, but both the husband and wife qualify for Ghanaian citizenship and I'd imagine have it; they mention that both of their fathers are Ghanaian.

To that end, I'd argue that unless you are bringing a much needed skill to Africa or are opening your own business (or are living in retirement on a pension from another nation), you probably should think twice about moving to the continent seeking employment when there are so many other citizens of the continent in need of work.

As I've mentioned in this forum before, I qualify for Ghanaian citizenship as I am a descendant of a citizen of Ghana. While I would love to visit Ghana one day, I couldn't see myself moving there and taking a job away from a local. But that's me.
Who said anything about someone going to Africa looking for a job or going without the proper documentation. Starting a business in Africa employs Africans and helps the economy. I believe you've never lived in Ghana how can you state that you wouldn't live there. Anyways, no one has to make the move to Africa and in you case Ghana, just hope at the very least you do one day visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 04:29 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Who said anything about someone going to Africa looking for a job or going without the proper documentation. Starting a business in Africa employs Africans and helps the economy. I believe you've never lived in Ghana how can you state that you wouldn't live there. Anyways, no one has to make the move to Africa and in you case Ghana, just hope at the very least you do one day visit.
1) I just made an observational point about those people that I do see having hard times when they try relocating to Africa. The Native Bourne YouTube channel family is but one of many examples. The wife has to go back to the US for several months each year to earn money for the family to sustain their living in Ghana. Now, they are trying to gain Ghanaian citizenship, which would make getting employment in Ghana easier, but until then that's one of the biggest hiccups for the family it seems.

2) I explained that starting a business or going to Africa with a skill in high demand is different from going there and taking away jobs from locals generally.

3) I stated that I don't see myself living in Ghana and taking away a job from a local. Who knows if I'd ever end up living in Ghana, though as of now I don't see myself living there or in any other foreign nation at the moment; I just have no need to or desire to at this point in my life. If I do, it would have to be in line with my point in 2) above.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
1) I just made an observational point about those people that I do see having hard times when they try relocating to Africa. The Native Bourne YouTube channel family is but one of many examples. The wife has to go back to the US for several months each year to earn money for the family to sustain their living in Ghana. Now, they are trying to gain Ghanaian citizenship, which would make getting employment in Ghana easier, but until then that's one of the biggest hiccups for the family it seems.

2) I explained that starting a business or going to Africa with a skill in high demand is different from going there and taking away jobs from locals generally.

3) I stated that I don't see myself living in Ghana and taking away a job from a local. Who knows if I'd ever end up living in Ghana, though as of now I don't see myself living there or in any other foreign nation at the moment; I just have no need to or desire to at this point in my life. If I do, it would have to be in line with my point in 2) above.
You like to argue just to argue but I still appreciate you though. Wonder if any of your sentiments have changed about the US government and or the economy as it is worse than I stated it would be (BTW I did mention it would be a disaster in 2020).

Anyways, the Native Bourne family is an interesting family. They go back and forth for various reasons much of it I believe is due to finances and her education. She also had some medical issues when she was in the states and took care of the issue there.

There is another lady that moved to Ghana I catch her channel here and there (Eat Love Migrate). I don't believe she has the same educational background as the family you wrote about. But she is determined she went to Africa with a plan. She didn't just pick up and move just to be in Africa. I advocate that everyone have a plan and have resources and be strategic with their money! I personally know people that have done extremely well in Africa and others have done not so well and return to the states or Europe or Canada (but you can usually see this being their reality before it even happens. With the Native Bourne family they need to figure out what is home and work it out from there.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
You like to argue just to argue but I still appreciate you though. Wonder if any of your sentiments have changed about the US government and or the economy as it is worse than I stated it would be (BTW I did mention it would be a disaster in 2020).

Anyways, the Native Bourne family is an interesting family. They go back and forth for various reasons much of it I believe is due to finances and her education. She also had some medical issues when she was in the states and took care of the issue there.

There is another lady that moved to Ghana I catch her channel here and there (Eat Love Migrate). I don't believe she has the same educational background as the family you wrote about. But she is determined she went to Africa with a plan. She didn't just pick up and move just to be in Africa. I advocate that everyone have a plan and have resources and be strategic with their money! I personally know people that have done extremely well in Africa and others have done not so well and return to the states or Europe or Canada (but you can usually see this being their reality before it even happens. With the Native Bourne family they need to figure out what is home and work it out from there.
While it takes two to argue--and I appreciate you as well in this forum--ultimately much of the back and forth comes from you reading different things from my statements than I wrote.

And the US (and much of the world) economy is going through temporary pains not due to any economic or political policy, but rather due to government orders to close certain businesses (and order telecommuting) and keep non-essential workers at home for the most part throughout much of the country as a way of confronting a pandemic. There is nothing inherently broken about our economy and things will rebound quickly once this covid situation is under control. In that sense, no, my sentiments have not changed.

Will have to check out the Eat Love Migrate channel, though

Old 04-11-2020, 06:05 PM

Quote:
While it takes two to argue--and I appreciate you as well in this forum--ultimately much of the back and forth comes from you reading different things from my statements than I wrote.

And the US (and much of the world) economy is going through temporary pains not due to any economic or political policy, but rather due to government orders to close certain businesses (and order telecommuting) and keep non-essential workers at home for the most part throughout much of the country as a way of confronting a pandemic. There is nothing inherently broken about our economy and things will rebound quickly once this covid situation is under control. In that sense, no, my sentiments have not changed.

Will have to check out the Eat Love Migrate channel, though
Touche! The economy and stock market are two different things and was showing several signs of decline (recession territory) before COVID19. Being that the average citizen only had $400 of savings and were living paycheck to paycheck, many school children heavily depend on meals from schools as a source of food, or that car payments were defaulting at high rates coupled with several other variables like trade wars in addition to concerning financial practices and matters I pointed out prior to COVID19 doesn't make the economy good before COVID19, plus several CEO's jumped ship right before COVID19 doesn't paint a rosy picture of the economic position. Am hoping things turn around and that there aren't evictions and or foreclosures. COVID19 is a convenient excuse though!

Old 04-11-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Touche! The economy and stock market are two different things and was showing several signs of decline (recession territory) before COVID19. Being that the average citizen only had $400 of savings and were living paycheck to paycheck, many school children heavily depend on meals from schools as a source of food, or that car payments were defaulting at high rates coupled with several other variables like trade wars in addition to concerning financial practices and matters I pointed out prior to COVID19 doesn't make the economy good before COVID19, plus several CEO's jumped ship right before COVID19 doesn't paint a rosy picture of the economic position. Am hoping things turn around and that there aren't evictions and or foreclosures. COVID19 is a convenient excuse though!
I'll just add that most economists pre-covid had resorted to predicting no imminent recession. Many thought that that the trade wars (and feared inflation, which ultimately didn't take hold as China ate the tariffs) would help lead to recession.

Now, all that written, if covid impacts things for longer than anticipated, we could be in for some serious economic pain as it'll be harder for many businesses to open back up after a lengthy time being closed. The small business loans (which don't have to be paid off as long as employees aren't laid off) will help, but that can only be sustained for so long I suspect. Yes, hopefully things get back on track soon!

Old 04-11-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I'll just add that most economists pre-covid had resorted to predicting no imminent recession. Many thought that that the trade wars (and feared inflation, which ultimately didn't take hold as China ate the tariffs) would help lead to recession.

Now, all that written, if covid impacts things for longer than anticipated, we could be in for some serious economic pain as it'll be harder for many businesses to open back up after a lengthy time being closed. The small business loans (which don't have to be paid off as long as employees aren't laid off) will help, but that can only be sustained for so long I suspect. Yes, hopefully things get back on track soon!
I'll have to respectfully disagree with your comments as it pertains to economist not predicting a recession prior to COVID19. There were too many evidentiary stresses on the market making it obvious as to where things were headed and that a recession was eminent if not predictable. But these are old arguments we've had that probably bores people and can be debated on another thread and or in DMS.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:22 PM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
If I were to move to Africa, it would definitely be in South Africa. I really hope to take a trip there soon.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
If I were to move to Africa, it would definitely be in South Africa. I really hope to take a trip there soon.
I really hope you do! It's an amazing and beautiful country and can't be seen in a day or a week.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:29 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,953 times
Thanks everyone for the information and meaningful discussion without getting into the tit-for-tat that goes on elsewhere on this forum.

As of this moment, I'm still pondering the possibilities - knowing how farfetched they are. I'm not highly educated (although do have what some might call a useless degree). My health is not all that great, and I'm much less cultured than even the average American. Not growing up in the 'hood' but still being one of those often referred to as "that little black gal," it seems that I just don't have that much to offer when it comes to feeling part of any culture. So now life seems to have not gone much of anywhere for me and I've been thinking for a long time that it's because I've been in all the wrong places. I just don't belong in the US.. not Canada, South America, Europe, China, India, etc. I think it's fairly easy to see where I'm coming from. I want to know more about the different cultures of Africa, the climate, the daily routine, foods, clothing and more. And what parts are the people more likely to be laid back and simple living? Is there anywhere left in the world like that these days?

Anyhow, guess I'll have to start checking out those videos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa