Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 02:51 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wmWjvAJGsg

For me, definitely Luanda, Angola! A little Brazil in Africa with it's coastal beaches, Portuguese language, Carnival, and it's own form of Kurudo Music (nothing like the Carribbean style)!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 08:05 AM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
For me it would be Luanda or Lagos, though Lagos would probably win out due to the culinary scene (I love West African cuisine).

Old 09-16-2020, 11:32 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Just based on the video alone, Cape Town looks to be the most beautiful. But doesn't that city have a very high crime rate? That's not what I'm looking for in a vacation destination. I'm going to go with Kigali. It looks like a graceful, relaxing city in a beautiful natural environment. I would probably say Windhoek would be a runner-up.

I've heard lots of words used to describe Lagos, but "beautiful" has never been one of them, before now.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:31 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Luanda, Angola and Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania

Angola is the home of kizomba and semba, both of which I love. So I’d love to spend time in the capital to dance and enjoy the rest of the culture.

Dar Es Salaam...just calls me.

Old 09-16-2020, 05:29 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
Lagos beautiful? You're having a joke.

Luanda looks nice but for me its a toss up between Nairobi and Cape Town, I think I could easily live for a while in both these cities. Dar Es Salam will probably be third, I could see myself being here also.

I would like to visit Windhoek, Abidjan, Luanda and Kigali.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:36 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,893,856 times
Luanda and Cape Town would be the top choices.

The video showed mostly high rise buildings which don't appeal much to me I like to see a mix of historical architecture. I really don't like people much so for a congested city to catch my attention it has to have good food, the people have to speak a language pleasing to my ears have interesting architecture and it needs to be relatively clean for me to tolerate the crowds.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:36 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
I'm not going to watch a ten minute video to see what my choices are. And certainly would not judge a city by loooking at a video.'.
I loved Lagos and Khartoum , -- but not for any reasons that could be captured by by a few snapshots.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:07 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I'm not going to watch a ten minute video to see what my choices are. And certainly would not judge a city by loooking at a video.'.
I loved Lagos and Khartoum , -- but not for any reasons that could be captured by by a few snapshots.
The choices are:
Luanda, Angola
Windhoek, Namibia
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Cape Town, South Africa
Nairobi, Kenya
Kigali, Rwanda
Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Lagos, Nigeria

Old 09-18-2020, 02:33 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The choices are:
Luanda, Angola
Windhoek, Namibia
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Cape Town, South Africa
Nairobi, Kenya
Kigali, Rwanda
Abidjan, Ivory Coast
Lagos, Nigeria
Bad Choices, every one of these lists always have a largest city bias, and try to be to representative, by and large many small cities especially the ones that are just developing so don't have massive slums are more beautiful than the large capital cities.
For Nigeria, Lagos is a nice city and Infrastructure wise it's probably one of the best in Nigeria but on Beauty, nearly every other Nigerian city is in a more beautiful geographic setting which on it's own adds to the beauty there. The only thing that knocks Lagos, is that modern Nigerian architecture is horrible looking at the street level. The wealthier a neighborhood is the more ugly street-level it looks, the exception is Banana Island/Ikoyi. If you go to any other GRA type area you'll see massive mansions with a line of often ugly fences/walls with overgrown shrubbery and no life on the actual street. Estates are significantly better looking.

The best looking cities out of the small selection of West African one's I've been through.
The gaps represent the distance imho between these cities.
Abuja

Cotonou
Lome

Ibadan
Accra

Lagos

Port Harcourt

Badagry (Just drove through the outskirts are horrid in terms of look, but the actual city might be nice since it's a bit historic)
Warri

Most Nigerians say the best looking city in the country though is Jos, which is on the Jos Plateau, which is a hillly and gorgeous region of the country, but Jos itself has had recent issues with criminality and fighting which has spoiled a lot of the beauty. Another city that comes up is Calabar which is actually safer, and yet another one that comes up is Abuja.

Owerri and Uyo also aren't too bad either but that's in city organization.

Warri is a oil wealthy Detroit. Period.

Outside of Nigeria, Aklo, Benin isn't a city, but near a small village that floats in a Lake and honestly driving past it is the coolest thing ever. If the area got redeveloped and got one iconic building or something it could easily be a small and interesting tourist attraction to visit a floating village. Sorta like the small villages with Massive castles you see in France.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:53 PM

417 posts, read 444,937 times
I would go with Windhoek, followed by Dar Es Salaam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa