Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,608 times

Advertisements

How hard is it to find a job in Akron?

I'm not even looking for a career, and can't find anything.

The only places I've heard about are call centers, and from previous experience working in one I can't bring myself to do it again.

If anyone knows of an opportunity around portage lakes/manchester/kenmore/downtown akron let me know.

I would prefer doing some sort of computer work, but like I said would take anything besides telemarketing.

Anyone else out there struggling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 09:07 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,002,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post

The only places I've heard about are call centers, and from previous experience working in one I can't bring myself to do it again.

If anyone knows of an opportunity around portage lakes/manchester/kenmore/downtown akron let me know.

I would prefer doing some sort of computer work, but like I said would take anything besides telemarketing.

Sales is usually something you can jump into more easily than most occupations with an opportunity for better than average income. There are always sales positions open, some better than others.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:22 AM

310 posts, read 1,357,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Sales is usually something you can jump into more easily than most occupations with an opportunity for better than average income. There are always sales positions open, some better than others.
Good luck. My bf works in Akron and is on the verge of getting laid off. Then we're moving the hell out of Ohio! I don't blame you, call centers SUCK. I worked a few of those and refuse to ever do it again. Are you able to relocate somewhere else?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:21 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,869 times
try merchandising there are lots of openings in Akron

Old 01-22-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
Good luck. My bf works in Akron and is on the verge of getting laid off. Then we're moving the hell out of Ohio! I don't blame you, call centers SUCK. I worked a few of those and refuse to ever do it again. Are you able to relocate somewhere else?
Be sure to line something up before you move.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAsALion View Post

Everyone else is struggling.....here's some advice. Leave. Head to the bus station, load up your car. No one will miss you and believe me, you probably won't miss them....

Kind of like the Sam Kinnison routine...quit feeding the starving.....get a bunch of U-Hauls and take them to where the food is!!! Same with Akron....there are few jobs...there have been few jobs and the forecast is for more, few jobs......go to where the JOBS are......

South, West.....in that order.....and even THEY are struggling.....if it sucks for them, it must be a vacuum for you in Akron....just sayin'.....

Old 02-03-2012, 04:27 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,416,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
it must be a vacuum for you in Akron....just sayin'.....
Your posts read like a vacuum.

I don't understand your shtick. I mean I get it, but I don't understand why you stick around. City-data is usually made up of a couple frequent posters per sub forum combined with the occasional one-time poster who either asks advice or complains about the area(this is true for every sub forum on CD). Yet you keep coming back to these forums and posting the same, played out negativity.

So it begs the question. What do you get out of coming back to the Akron forum and posting the same things repeatedly? It's not like you're saying anything new. So let me get this straight-- the job outlook is better in the Southeast than it is in the rust belt? No kidding?? Welcome to 1980.

In the future, it would benefit everyone if you tried to change your tone and look past your distaste for where you came from.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Kind of like the Sam Kinnison routine...quit feeding the starving.....get a bunch of U-Hauls and take them to where the food is!!! Same with Akron....there are few jobs...there have been few jobs and the forecast is for more, few jobs......go to where the JOBS are......

I don't get this constant presumption by certain people that somehow NE Ohio is in such dire straits compared with the rest of the country. Please, direct us to this bountiful land of jobs you speak of!

Dec 2011 Unemployment:

Akron: 7.6%
Canton: 7.3%

For comparison:

Atlanta 7.3%
Charleston SC 8.8%
Charlotte 9.7%
Chicago 9.3%
Denver 8.1%
Los Angeles 10.6%
Louisville 8.7%
Miami 9.6%
NYC 8.8%
Orlando 9.5%
Philly 7.9%
Phoenix 7.9%
Raleigh 8.7%
San Francisco 8.5%
Seattle 7.8%
St. Louis 8.3%
Tampa 10.0%

Here are some of the few areas that have what I would consider to be "reasonable" unemployment rates:
Bismarck ND 3.2%
Boston 5.8%
Minneapolis 5.5%
Rapid City SD 4.5%
Salt Lake City 5.4%
Vermont (state) 4.9%

Source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/metro.pdf

So basically pack your bags and move *north*. It's also likely you're be working in an oil field.

Hey, I'm not saying moving isn't a good alternative if you need a job. We've all got to eat. But you better god damn well have a job lined up before you get there because otherwise you're going to be sitting in a new place with no job *and* without whatever personal connections you had here.

And telling people to just "Pack your bags!" is ridiculously bad advice. It's horrible. You ever check the forums in other cities, like, say Charlotte? I have. You know what their posts like this say? "STOP COMING HERE WITH NO JOBS, WE DON'T HAVE ANY EITHER."

Old 02-06-2012, 08:06 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,906,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post

I don't understand your shtick. I mean I get it, but I don't understand why you stick around. City-data is usually made up of a couple frequent posters per sub forum combined with the occasional one-time poster who either asks advice or complains about the area(this is true for every sub forum on CD). Yet you keep coming back to these forums and posting the same, played out negativity.

So it begs the question. What do you get out of coming back to the Akron forum and posting the same things repeatedly? It's not like you're saying anything new. So let me get this straight-- the job outlook is better in the Southeast than it is in the rust belt? No kidding?? Welcome to 1980.

In the future, it would benefit everyone if you tried to change your tone and look past your distaste for where you came from.
That's the Ohio forum in a nutshell...

Old 02-16-2012, 01:11 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,233,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post

Hey, you are the ones looking for jobs? It isn't all bad back there and believe it or not, I have sung some of the praises. Read more. But, when people continue to fish where the fish are not biting, one has to beg this question...why not change your geography? And not just to the Southeast?

And while we are on the topic, tell me what the experts say for the growth? Is the city growing, or shrinking. if I truly didn't care, why woukd I bother? It's much easier to pencomments elsewhere. I do wish you luck but, when I see some of the same economic questions p,ayed out for 3 decades, welcome to 1980 is quickly replaced by, welcome to 2012?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton