Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:27 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The fact that parents will send their kids to untested charter schools actually says even more about the public offerings. Give them free breakfast, free lunch, free healthcare, free housing, cash every month, and what amounts to bonuses for having more...what you get is billions down the drain, and an entire culture that doesn't know what STEM is. Money can solve a lot of problems, but only when people pay their fair share. You sound like an angry Fred Flintstone look-a-like NEA member. Would you care to comment on the houses with a negative value?
Heck, the entire nation bought the transparent falsehoods sold by Trump. Why wouldn't you expect the public to buy the spiel of charter schools or even parochial schools, especially when the state doesn't require the same testing required of public schools. Self-selection typically leads persons to believe that they've made the best decision.

I'm not a teacher, but I've had a couple teachers in my family, including my mother, who taught in an elementary school that had some very challenged children. I remember her legs being black-and-blue from being kicked by some of her first graders.

Mostly, I'm old enough that I've seen the experiences of many parents and the end results of children.

I also closely follow educational policies. Having taken some excellent liberal arts classes in my university days, I also studied Seymour Lipset and was heavily influenced by him. Lipset studied the cleavages in American society and social mobility and emphasized the importance of public schools in overcoming them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Martin_Lipset

Of course, now our society is increasingly being dominated by charter and private schools, which are enhancing cleavages. E.g, Ohio now has many voucher-supported charter Muslim schools. For those who thrive on the Lebanonization of the U.S., there can be no better development.

I also force myself to listen to presentations such as the following. Imagine being a teacher and finally figuring out that many of your students were having difficulties learning because they were in pain from a lack of dental care. Of course, many in our society don't care about such challenges, nor any longer about "leveling the playing field" through good education.

https://www.cityclub.org/events/less...ational-equity

I've also noticed that many persons have a double standard. Obviously, there's no outrage about the failure of Ohio to require the same testing requirements of public and private schooling.

I'm not certain what you mean by "negative values," but obviously any neighborhood with social/economic problems, underfunded schools, poor tax bases and services, and a sub-standard housing stock will have challenged property values. Places like East Cleveland and Lorain, which once were great contributors to Ohio tax coffers, now, when they are in need, are seeing state funding slashed by Ohio's Republicans, breaking a decades old agreement about local government funding.

However, I do share your concerns about the welfare society, having read Moynihan extensively. I lament the situation of young adults burdened by poor job prospects and heavy university debt, and who are putting off having families.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...report/360701/

Yet the same persons who rant against the welfare society, public schools, etc., with the exception of Libertarians, typically oppose abortion rights, or even robust sex education, and contraception services (the attack on Planned Parenthood). Then when mothers have children they can't afford, those same abortion right activists want to deny them the resources to raise children. Pathetic hypocrisy IMO.

I heard a City Club speaker who said that a recent drop in teenage birth rates is directly related to the stark realities presented in the "Teen Mom" reality show. Clevelander Lisa Damour is one of the nation's top experts extant on raising teenage girls.

https://www.cityclub.org/events/unta...-teenage-girls

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teen_Mom

At some point in the not distance future, the combination of decades of poor federal policies implemented both by the Democrats and the Republicans, will result in the dominance of our political system by persons desperately trying to survive and increasingly dependent on the state. Our failure to intelligently address the nation's challenges, to waste our wealth and youth policing the world, neglecting the environment, failure to implement and enforce rational immigration laws, etc., eventually will result in our becoming some version of Argentina, or even worse, Venezuela. Trump and the Republicans now are being given their chance, but are mostly focused on massive tax cuts for the one-percenters.

Imagine when the pendulum turns and the nation is governed by individuals to the left of Bernie Sanders. It's all so sad IMO.

Last edited by WRnative; 06-29-2017 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 09:48 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,973,235 times
100 million people in the US are in need of serious dental work...how many dentists did Ohio produce last year? "Negative values," refers to real estate that you would have to pay someone to take; usually as a result of property taxes that are painfully high. See: Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit, and quite a few places in Ohio. Who in their right mind, wouldn't move to Florida, Texas, Arizona, or out of the country? I just paid my health insurance premium with Tokio Marine...250 Deductible for 102 per month..the only stipulation is that my visits to the US are minimal.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
100 million people in the US are in need of serious dental work...how many dentists did Ohio produce last year? "Negative values," refers to real estate that you would have to pay someone to take; usually as a result of property taxes that are painfully high. See: Baltimore, Philadelphia, Detroit, and quite a few places in Ohio. Who in their right mind, wouldn't move to Florida, Texas, Arizona, or out of the country? I just paid my health insurance premium with Tokio Marine...250 Deductible for 102 per month..the only stipulation is that my visits to the US are minimal.
So you live in Japan, the land of extremely well paid public school teachers and a rational national healthcare system. The Japanese, like all of our trade competitors, aggressively control pharma prices. Or that you are employed by Tokio Marine America? Where do you get your medical services if not the U.S.?

<< Japanese teachers are the 5th best paid behind Luxembourg, Switzerland, Germany and Korea. >>

World of Education: Teacher Salaries - Australia

Japan for decades also has had an excellent tax system, vis-a-vis the U.S., that has allowed the Japanese to promote domestic manufacturing and exports, especially through the use of value-added taxes to levy effectively tariffs on imports and to subsidize exports. All of our major trading partners have use the VAT regime to rip apart American manufacturers who haven't aggressively moved production off-shore. Ironically, Trump was the first Presidential candidate who seemed to understand this, but, as President he has backed off doing anything about it, even failing to support the Republican House's border adjustment tax.

Someone who lives in Japan benefits greatly from the nation's universal healthcare system, but it's pathetic when they interpret its benefits as something to be achieved in the U.S. through a predatory, "free market" system. Pathetic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health...ystem_in_Japan

Old 06-29-2017, 10:16 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,973,235 times
No, I live in Thailand....public school teachers start at 400 USD per month....there are no property taxes.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,437 times
I was born and raised in Canton, It's pretty bad there now. My family still live there and I visit. I lived in Carrollton, Ohio for 20 yrs. A very quite, reasonable priced country setting. Try looking into real estate there. If I ever want to shovel snow again up north , Thats where I would move back to. In Florida now. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2017, 08:32 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny71 View Post
I am looking for a small affordable home. It can be 850 square feet because I have no family. I do not need attractions. I don't want to be close to a loud train or in a bad neighborhood. It looks like southern Youngstown, parts of Canton and parts of Akron all have potential for the home I am looking for. Usually families care about the schools and need three bedrooms. It doesn't have to be ultra quiet. But I think condos, apartments and certain locations near roads or trains would not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for finding an affordable home that is almost move-in ready? I'm trying to spend as little as possible but stay away from high crime areas.
Benny, I think you would find what you want in towns like Wadsworth, Seville, Rittman and that area. Still very rural, yet close to amenities. Very low crime, and quiet. It is also close to good hospitals and medical care.

I don't know if you want a fixer upper, or not, or a garage, or a big yard, but if you browse on realtor.com in those areas you can plug in your price range, and see what pops up. I was just looking and there are many choices under $100k, and well under that if you don't mind a project.

Just as an example. I know this area, and it is very quiet and peaceful.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...5_M30020-73264

Last edited by gentlearts; 07-05-2017 at 08:58 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 07:37 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
The issue with Teacher pay is not where people disagree so much, it is with the cost per pupil in a given district. This is the issue, for example in Washington DC.

The districts with high cost and poor results need to look at where they are spending their money and make changes. Most probably have a large bureaucracy full of former classroom teachers in a huge administration building, directing the current crop of classroom teachers to experiment with teaching methods that in some cases exacerbates the failing schools.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The issue with Teacher pay is not where people disagree so much, it is with the cost per pupil in a given district. This is the issue, for example in Washington DC.

The districts with high cost and poor results need to look at where they are spending their money and make changes. Most probably have a large bureaucracy full of former classroom teachers in a huge administration building, directing the current crop of classroom teachers to experiment with teaching methods that in some cases exacerbates the failing schools.
Critics of public schools largely ignore the vast socioeconomic differences between some districts, and certainly between public schools that serve all comers, and private schools that benefit from self-selection and the refusal to tolerate children with educational or behavioral problems.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:14 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Critics of public schools largely ignore the vast socioeconomic differences between some districts, and certainly between public schools that serve all comers, and private schools that benefit from self-selection and the refusal to tolerate children with educational or behavioral problems.
What can't the public school systems create schools that take in the disruptive students? Sort of a reverse magnet school. That would allow the students that want to learn to do so. If the parents can't control their kids, then they have to face the fact that their kids will go to worse schools.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:30 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Well, I guess Benny isn't coming back anyway....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton