Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2023, 08:18 AM

396 posts, read 604,052 times

Advertisements

Hello folks. My lovely wife and I will be making a journey to this area (Berlin, OH and surrounding 75 mile radius), and were wondering ( staying in the Dundee area) - in the fall

getting in most towns in the area

-Berlin
- Mt Hope
- Millersburg, and others you suggest

- What major brands of gas are sold (Getting gas cards)
- What should be high on our list
• Yarn Shops
• Coffee Roasters
• Bakeries
• Candy Stores / Chocolate Shops
• Tourist Traps
• Orchards (picking fruits is a great way to get some exercise in)
• Pleasant small walks along planned paved paths, downtown's (wife's medical condition doesn't allow hard, steep, tough hikes anymore )
• Great places to eat Prefer Local places and NOT Franchises / Fast Food / National Brands
• Breakfast
• Lunch
• Dinner (Italian, German, Thai, Noodle Bars?
• Botanical / Flower Gardens
• Area Museums
• Wineries
• County Fairs

Getting in a nice play / musical would be great if possible

Is there something a bit father out we should consider? We will be coming in from Maine, (not sure if we'll be getting there via #76 or some back roads?) and going back to Maine (via Watkins Glen NY) after a week or so. So getting something in on the way in or out of town shouldn't be a big issue.

We've done the Cleveland area 3 times in the past 3 years, so not likely to be in that area this trip

As usual, Thank you all for any kind suggestions. We pretty much get great ideas for our trips based on the input from the fine members of City-Date

Karl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 04:23 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Hello folks. My lovely wife and I will be making a journey to this area (Berlin, OH and surrounding 75 mile radius), and were wondering ( staying in the Dundee area) - in the fall

getting in most towns in the area

-Berlin
- Mt Hope
- Millersburg, and others you suggest

- What major brands of gas are sold (Getting gas cards)
- What should be high on our list
• Yarn Shops
• Coffee Roasters
• Bakeries
• Candy Stores / Chocolate Shops
• Tourist Traps
• Orchards (picking fruits is a great way to get some exercise in)
• Pleasant small walks along planned paved paths, downtown's (wife's medical condition doesn't allow hard, steep, tough hikes anymore )
• Great places to eat Prefer Local places and NOT Franchises / Fast Food / National Brands
• Breakfast
• Lunch
• Dinner (Italian, German, Thai, Noodle Bars?
• Botanical / Flower Gardens
• Area Museums
• Wineries
• County Fairs

Getting in a nice play / musical would be great if possible

Is there something a bit father out we should consider? We will be coming in from Maine, (not sure if we'll be getting there via #76 or some back roads?) and going back to Maine (via Watkins Glen NY) after a week or so. So getting something in on the way in or out of town shouldn't be a big issue.

We've done the Cleveland area 3 times in the past 3 years, so not likely to be in that area this trip

As usual, Thank you all for any kind suggestions. We pretty much get great ideas for our trips based on the input from the fine members of City-Date

Karl
You might want to ask this in the general Ohio forum. 75 miles from Berlin could get you into NE Columbus area, pretty far from Akron. Also, you might want to narrow down when you expect to be making the trip, so that people can recommend fairs/festivals. Here's a list of county fairs I found, if you're still figuring out when you'll make the trip: https://www.mymiamicounty.com/ohio-county-fairs-2023

That is such beautiful country. There are lots of small towns/villages that you could stop and visit. I think you'll have to visit some of the larger (like Massillon, New Philadelphia, Wooster, etc.) cities to get food that's not Amish/homestyle. (I could be totally wrong, too. There could be some great hidden gems.)

I feel there's lots that I'm forgetting. I grew up in the Massillon area, and my uncle was once the mayor of Wilmot. So, I've been in this area a lot as a kid. But, I live in the Youngstown area now, so I've grown out of touch with the area. One place you'd probably want to visit is Lehman's https://www.lehmans.com/ They have a little of everything. You could also try the Smucker's store in Orrville. https://www.jmsmucker.com/smucker-cafe-store I've never been there, but I think it would qualify as a tourist trap, at least!

Maybe I'll come back with more. Or, if you post in the general Ohio forum, I might add more there.

Old 06-26-2023, 04:41 PM

Thank you this helps, and I will go ahead and post in the general area to see if that helps.

Right now we'll be there the last week of September into the 2nd week of October

Old 06-26-2023, 04:53 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Thank you this helps, and I will go ahead and post in the general area to see if that helps.

Right now we'll be there the last week of September into the 2nd week of October
OK. As I said, this is a beautiful area, and a visit any time of year will be nice. But I hope you're not looking for peak fall colors. Depending on weather, peak color doesn't usually happen until the last half of October.

Old 06-26-2023, 05:24 PM

I live in Maine I have seen peak foliage at its best many many times, heck I should see it some on our way back. A few days in Watkins Glen, NY and a few days in Bennington VT should get us some great foliage … if this rain ever stops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton