Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:51 AM

32 posts, read 62,626 times

Advertisements

Want to start a debate, which one do you think will have the most growth over next 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 10:10 AM

976 posts, read 2,685,731 times
Mobile, I say that because of whats going on there now, but Montgomery is doing alot of downtown development plus just landed a Hyundai transformer plant and there are talks of another Hyundai auto plant coming to Montgomery.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:14 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
I think Birmingham, Huntsville, and Mobile all have the potential for growth. I think debating which one will have the most is kind of silly.

Huntsville, of course, will be driven by the military and space program. BRAC has been an absolute boon to the area. At the same time, Huntsville remains very much a government town, and is thereby vulnerable to the whims of politicians and the priorities in Washington, DC. To me, the priority of Huntsville should be to diversify its economic base to enjoy continued growth.

Birmingham actually is the most intriguing of the four cities, chiefly because it has gone through some difficulties of late in government and the consolidation of the banking industry. However, several key events, both recent and on the horizon, will likely put the city in a higher growth mode. First, the cleaning out of corruption in local governments seems to have done its job, with an entirely new county commission and Birmingham mayor in place. Second, the region looks as if it has gotten its organizational act together in terms of economic development, rather than the crazy quilt of agencies in the past who devoted most of their energy to fighting turf battles. Third, both the development of the intermodal rail facility in McCalla and the completion of I22 suddenly transform Birmingham into a highly-desirable distribution center. Fourth, the continued expansion of Honda and Mercedes mean corresponding expansion elsewhere in the still-new automotive industry. Add Hyundai, Kia, and Volkswagen within a two-hour drive, and Birmingham occupies a very central geographic position for a lot of manufacturing support. Fifth, the bank acquisition shakeout seems to have abated, giving some stability to what had been a cornerstone of the local economy. Any number of smaller and mid-sized banks are expanding, and using the very deep talent pool in the market to fuel their growth.

Birmingham's economy at the moment is larger than Huntsville's, Mobile's and Montgomery's combined, with Anniston and Tuscaloosa thrown in for good measure. The continued foundational changes taking place in the city at the moment should serve it well in the next few years.

Mobile is a bit of a headscratcher. So much depends on the EADS plant. The new steel plant is a big deal to be sure. It just remains to be seen whether the civic government will prove mature enough to build on that coup, landing similarly sized projects.

Montgomery is probably the market least poised for strong expansion. Until Hyundai came along, the city had no real industry, and still doesn't. It's chief business is government and little else. I'm not really sure how it will grow in the future.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Birmingham's economy at the moment is larger than Huntsville's, Mobile's and Montgomery's combined, with Anniston and Tuscaloosa thrown in for good measure. The continued foundational changes taking place in the city at the moment should serve it well in the next few years.
The the topic is which will see the the most growth not which city is the biggest.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
The the topic is which will see the the most growth not which city is the biggest.
And, as I said at the beginning of my post, that it's a silly thing to debate. In this volatile economy, there is absolutely no way to predict what growth will be next quarter, let alone in the decade to come.

But if you ask me to go out on a limb, I'll say Birmingham and Huntsville will see far higher growth than either Mobile or Montgomery. Of the two, I think Birmingham's more diversified economy will more likely ensure long-term sustained growth than Huntsville's.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,605,428 times
Holistically, almost all the economies are based directly or indirectly on government spending. UAB =state and federally funded university. Huntsville = Dept of Defense and NASA. Montgomery=state.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM

Your opinion is not based on facts.cpg35322

Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,605,428 times
What is your opinion complete with facts?

Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Holistically, almost all the economies are based directly or indirectly on government spending. UAB =state and federally funded university. Huntsville = Dept of Defense and NASA. Montgomery=state.
Well, I would argue against your characterization of Birmingham, given the importance of banking and manufacturing. Sure, UAB is an important driver of the economy. But to say that it is even the most important part of the local economy would not be supportable. Yet, it's the largest employer in the market. But there are far too many other economic forces at work in the area to maintain that Birmingham is based on government-spending.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimpdaddy View Post
Your opinion is not based on facts.cpg35322
Mimp, since I have ongoing dealings with economic development people, both in private and public sectors, I think I know what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama