Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the best, period?
Birmingham 7 41.18%
Huntsville 4 23.53%
Mobile 6 35.29%
Montgomery 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 AM
MPC MPC started this thread

703 posts, read 1,268,074 times

Advertisements

Just pick, I know its been discussed and argued but never seen a poll as of yet. So let everyone know, who you picking?

I pick Mobile for various reasons, one because of it being my home town. Two, the culture and history(Alabama's oldest City, upto 1910, Alabama's biggest City lol). Give some reasons why you pick what you pick. Just a random fact, Mobile is only city in Alabama, besides B-ham, to be #1.

If you are from somewhere else just pick from the four.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,162,150 times
I love the city by the bay the most of course but all of them are great cities and Alabama is full of decent sized metros from the mountains down to the Gulf.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I like Huntsville and Mobile a good deal (Sorry, Montgomery, but you're just a wide spot in the road), but Birmingham is just in a different class in about every measurable way.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:28 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
These kinds of polls are stupid. There is no one "best" city in Alabama. Biggest? Oldest? Most cosmopolitan? Most Southern (whatever that means)? Least Southern (good? bad?)?
Why are you trying to promote contention? Why not just promote your own wonderful city for its unique attributes?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 PM

138 posts, read 254,539 times
Birmingham

Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
I agree. These polls are pretty lame.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:07 PM
MPC MPC started this thread

703 posts, read 1,268,074 times
These polls are not for contention, just opinion. Never once was I intending to start people up and get them mad and heated about this. I love Bama as a whole, I dont favor no area from another, maybe my town a little but not enough to go diss any other Alabama cities and regions. This was intended for people who would not get heated and could explain their vote maturely.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:46 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
I try to look at things objectively and to me in order to be the best a city has to be diverse, large, have a lot of things going for it and have some things on the table for the future. This makes Birmingham the clear winner. Having a poll is only going to prove how many people from each city frequent this forum and choose to participate in this pointless exercise.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 PM

14 posts, read 32,798 times
Birmingham. For me, it offers the best quality of life. I like restaurants, bars, live music, and outdoors activities. Out of these choices, Birmingham offers the best combination of those things.

The rest are all fine cities, I just prefer the 'Ham.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,715 times
I voted Mobile.Birmingham is the only city that can probably come close to the size of Jacksonville but there is something about Mobile that grabbed my interest.I have been all over Alabama from the larger cities to little towns like Opp,Alabama. I like the food in Mobile and the restaurants,Mobile has a good deal of out door activities.I enjoyed exploring the Mobile delta and bayous the 1,000 year old Indian mounds and the alligator alley was cool.When I was downtown I like the convience and walking distance of all of the bars and lounges that were open on Dauphin street.Just about every bar was cooking spicy crawfish and that signituire blue crab that people down there in Mobile like to brag about and it was for Free.I love the architecture of Mobile and in some areas I found the city to be very charming.The parks downtown had a few homeless nothing major or overwhelming.You will find the homeless in just about any park in any city but never the less the downtown parks in Mobile were pristine and manicured well.I felt safe due to the fact that there was a great police presence in Mobile.My wife and kids like the idea that the police in downtown Mobile ride around on horses and bikes.The horse riding police presence downtown sort of put us back in time with the historic architecture and all. I also noticed that Mobile is very big on art ! We saw musicians playing the sax and when we were walking back to our hotel we saw a few more musicians playing live music at every other corner.Serda`s Cafe had some really good gelato and some really great music acts were playing as well.There was another restaurant I think it is called cafe Royal it had a live harpist so that created a very romantic moment with my wife.And on our last night in Mobile we tried Veets and they had great crab legs and my wife ordered duck.They had some really good musical acts.Mobile has a few boarded up buildings here and there but the city does well with what it has so I commend them on that.One thing really disappointed me about Mobile was the lack of retail choices but other than that I enjoyed my stay and it was a really great southern experience with charm.Mobile is one of those cities that seem to have a soul or as if it is a living thing.Mobile can easily be in the category as cities like Savannah, Charleston,New Orleans,and Memphis. When I come back to visit we are staying in one of those beautiful southern historic houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama