Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:18 AM

12 posts, read 82,394 times

Advertisements

MY daughter is doing okay. She rushed but got dropped the day before pref.parties. So she was pretty upset. Wanting to come home. But, I think she is getting over it and realizing a lot of things are considered to get in a sorority. She went to a frat party.So I am worried about those things.
She came from a very small Christian University. So this school I'm sure is party central. But, we let her decide where she wanted to go to school.
So I'll be up worrying and praying for her for the next three years.HA.
I've gotten a lot of help from people on this site so I am grateful for all the info. and tips.
Thanks for asking about her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
I'll bet daughter does just fine. Parties, studying...it's all there, and if they want to go wild, they will. But most kids seem to stay true to how they were raised (where did I hear that before? Oh yeah, the Bible!!). If they've got a bit of maturity, and they know their real reason for being there is an education, they'll enjoy themselves and still graduate.
And in a week and a half....FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!
There is NOTHING like being in Bryant-Denney Stadium with 93,000 other Bama Family members, the first notes of "Sweet Home Alabama," and then crowd singing "Yea Alabama" with the Million Dollar Band on the field.
Gives me chills just thinking about it! I hope you will join her in Tuscaloosa for a game while she is in school.
Roll Tide Roll!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:06 PM

34 posts, read 114,796 times
She should be safe everywhere but frat row. AL is one of the best party schools in the country, so she should have a strong minor in partyology. I'm kidding, sort of.
Alabama is a horribly competitive school during rush time. Thousands of AL girls dream of being AL cheerleaders and sorority girls. She can always make friends and try again next year. But, why would you want to be friends with people who care about all that stuff that is "considered"...and you have to pay for, or wouldn't want to be your friend anyway. I was a GDI, and do not regret it. It seems like life and death right now, and I know it's hard for a parent to see their child hurt. Life

Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbeck View Post
Thank you so much for your input. She is starting to think "Why am I here"?
Ha. I told her the weather will get better. Yes she is going to Rush. She will see if it is what she wants.She is afraid of it being too much of a commitment.
I think it is a great way to make some friends,since she only knows her roomates. She is in an apt. No housing for transfer students. So I was a little worried about that. Her neihborhood doesn't look that good. It is down 10th. Ave.

Hi RockBeck,
I am doing the reverse of your daughter so I know EXACTLY how she feels. MANY days I wonder "why am I here?" ...
I was born and raised in Tuscaloosa, AL. I graduated from UA in 2004 and moved to Santa Clara, CA in September 2005 where I got a job after college.
My father is head of the Business Management Department at UA and has been a Professor there for 33 years now. So if you have any questions please feel free to email me.
I have to say that after going home for only Christmas, and being away for over 2 years now I am REALLY starting to miss Southern people.
Its hard to explain unless you have lived in both places for a significant period of time. There is just something special about the kindness of southerners.

The first time I had a flat tire out here in California I didnt know who to ask for help and NONE of my fellow male co-workers offered to help. In fact, they asked me if I had AAA. I said "No, I dont have AAA. I am a Southerner, I either have a boyfriend or guy friend to call to do these things for me."

Anyway, I honestly moved to CA because I couldnt handle the humidity anymore in AL and of course the job opportunity is far better here to Tuscaloosa. However, there are so many other things that I miss about being closer to home that is causing me to look for jobs within driving distance of Tuscaloosa.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions.
What is your daughters major, at least for this semester

Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,647 times
Hi RockBeck,
Hmm, yes, 10th Ave is a bit shady in appeareance. But, things are changing in Tuscaloosa big time, as far as buildings and apartments that are being thrown up. I was there in late January and I was shocked to see how much has changed.
If it helps, I lived in High River Apartments on Rice Mine Road in Tuscaloosa for most of my college life and I was very happy there (I was also only 3 miles from my parents home). You should look into it if you have concerns about where your daughter is now.

Good Luck,
Jennifer
AprGrad2004@yahoo.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama