Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times

Advertisements

Batten down the hatches folks... they've just upgraded their prediction for Isaac to be a CAT 2 Hurricane when it makes landfall!

Ah, thought I'd beat the crowd to the stores yesterday afternoon... bottled water was almost completely gone as well as two shelves of the bread... and lines wrapped around the gas stations. Cashiers stated they had three trucks bringing in more supplies overnight just to that store.

So, there are many making preparations and not just on the coast, as this will affect most all of Alabama before its done. Get your cash, your gas, your water and food supplies ready for at least three days per person if you're evacuating, for two weeks if you're not evacuating. And, if you need to evacuate, make your plans now as well as hotel reservations!

Be alert, prepare for the worst and hope and pray for the best!

Take care and stay safe, all!

National Hurricane Center
Tropical Weather and Storms - Hurricane Updates from weather.com
weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar Isaac Projected Path

Hurricane - American Red Cross Emergency Preparedness

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-25-2012 at 02:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Current projections are that it will hook right in the middle of the Gulf and head towards Appalachicola. Hate it for the good people of the Panhandle, but I really don't want a direct hit on our condo.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Latest News:
Quote:
MONTGOMERY – Governor Robert Bentley on Saturday urged Alabamians to keep watch on changing weather conditions as Tropical Storm Isaac continues to move toward the northwest. The Governor also announced he is canceling his plans to attend the Republican National Convention in Tampa.
See: Governor Bentley Closely Monitoring Isaac, Cancels Plans to Attend Republican National Convention
and: Governor Bentley Encourages Alabamians to Prepare for Isaac.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-25-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 03:05 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Having been through Andrew and Wilma and a few less bothersome ones, I don't miss the drill. For older folks, make sure the insurance is paid up, and take a short vacation. For those who plan to stay, get the smallest combination of a room AC and a generator that will power it, or alternately your refrigerator. CHAIN AND LOCK the generator out of street view.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:24 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
We bought a generator after Hurricane Opal knocked the power out for two weeks. Powers the whole house and took a crane to get it in the backyard, so no chains necessary here

I am simultaneously skeptical and paranoid about the impending storm. It seems like meteorologists like to play up the potential of storms like this (and sure, it's better to be safe than sorry), but I feel like as soon as I let my guard down and assume this won't make it up to Birmingham, it's going to really show its fury.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:36 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
We bought a generator after Hurricane Opal knocked the power out for two weeks. Powers the whole house and took a crane to get it in the backyard, so no chains necessary here

I am simultaneously skeptical and paranoid about the impending storm. It seems like meteorologists like to play up the potential of storms like this (and sure, it's better to be safe than sorry), but I feel like as soon as I let my guard down and assume this won't make it up to Birmingham, it's going to really show its fury.
I have always had the impression that when I was prepaired, things didn't happen as bad as they could have been, where as when I was'nt, I really got hit hard.

Springfield, Mo. news last night showed our area Red Cross was leaving here today for Florida area with supplies.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post

The issue with whole house generators is the running cost, and if it isn't natural gas in an operating pipeline, fuel availability. During Wilma, the neighbor across the street was bragging on his son and the whole house generator he had. Three days later, he had burned through 60 gallons of gas and power was out at his place from then on. We, OTOH, had a 5KW generator and about 15 gallons of gas - AND four marine batteries, an inverter, and a solar panel. By careful load management, we were still fine two weeks later, had washed clothes and taken hot showers, and our refrigerator was never without power. Around here, a 1200 watt unit is sufficient for most needs, which means gas can last even longer.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Current projections are that it will hook right in the middle of the Gulf and head towards Appalachicola. Hate it for the good people of the Panhandle, but I really don't want a direct hit on our condo.
My, how much difference a day makes in their landfall predictions... and how much worse this looks for Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana! The latest projected path puts this square between Mobile and New Orleans... so pay attention all! This is the worst scenario yet, with Mobile possibly catching this storm head on, or at the least Alabama catching the east side (bad side) of the storm just as it did for Katrina!

As you stated, cpg35223, while we don't wish any of the good people in the Florida Panhandle any harm... we also never wanted to hear this come about, either. Still a few days out, so this still may change for the better, but it's seriously not looking good for us!

Again, stay alert, be prepared for the worst and hope and pray for the best... stay safe all!

weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar Isaac Projected Path

Old 08-26-2012, 04:49 PM

If we all put leaf blowers on high straight up, think it will miss us and go to Canada?

Old 08-26-2012, 05:49 PM

971 posts, read 1,454,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The issue with whole house generators is the running cost, and if it isn't natural gas in an operating pipeline, fuel availability. During Wilma, the neighbor across the street was bragging on his son and the whole house generator he had. Three days later, he had burned through 60 gallons of gas and power was out at his place from then on. We, OTOH, had a 5KW generator and about 15 gallons of gas - AND four marine batteries, an inverter, and a solar panel. By careful load management, we were still fine two weeks later, had washed clothes and taken hot showers, and our refrigerator was never without power. Around here, a 1200 watt unit is sufficient for most needs, which means gas can last even longer.
Having the advantage of living here and being through the best and the worst, I put my whole house automatic generator on a 500 gallon propane tank. Had it 3 years and have never topped off the tank yet. The generator has come on several times for periods up to an hour and one day for 9 hours. It goes through a maintenance 15 minute cycle once a week. Had it serviced 3 weeks ago. The service man said I had 60% propane in the tank. I should probably top it off while the price is at it's cheapest. I have an all electric house and was worried my copper pipes would freeze and bust without any electricity. I probably couldn't afford having all the pipes replaced on my retirement income. Been looking into solar and wind generators for alternative backups.

Hope the drought people receive a slow steady rain. Doesn't hurt to have a little luck along with your prepardness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama