Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,590 times

Advertisements

I've been reading through the forums, and I love this site! I grew up in Ozark, but have lived away for a long time. I lived in Tampa, FL for a while and now live in Scottsdale, AZ. My fiancee is still in Tampa, and we would love to move to Dothan to be closer to family.
I am almost 5 months pregnant, so we would need to move very soon. Here's the dilemma: Neither of us has any credit that would help us get into a place (an apartment or a house for rent). He works from home as a graphic artist and I work as a production cook at a university. We need to find a place asap, and get settled before the baby gets here. My grandparents and aunts and uncles live in the area and would probably help if we asked, but we would rather do it on our own. If anyone knows of anything we can do just to get into the area and start getting things going, i.e. dr.s appts, job, etc., we would be extremely grateful. We are only looking for a 2 br place, but we will work with whatever we can get for the time being. All help is appreciated!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 15,050 times
As my fiancee said above, we've pretty much set our minds to move to Dothan. I've loved the atmosphere every time we've gone up there to visit her family (but then, I've lived in the crummier areas of Tampa my whole life, so anyplace where you don't need to have a weapon by your front door is an excellent change of pace anyway!)

What I'd be more curious about would be any information about the state of the apartments there, if any of you locals have some advice? Compared to the cost of rent here in the evil Tampa, the prices just seem too good to be true! I live in a ghetto, and the places around here go for $1200 a month... and barely stand! (To be fair, we didn't live here by choice... it's a family owned home, but once all the older, more responsible neighbors ran away, the place went gangland-style haywire. I only don't get mugged because of a rather known incident in the neighborhood of me chasing a would-be burglar down the street in my boxer shorts in the middle of the night. I'd rather not have to do that sort of thing with a child around.)

So that's it. I couldn't find one bad neighborhood in my limited time up there, but then, I doubt I'd even recognize one, based on comparison with THIS garden spot down here. Quiet is a beautiful thing... and not having your neighborhood spotlighted on "COPS" every 3 weeks is a plus.

Thanks in advance for any help, folks!
-Drew

Last edited by Wharf Rat; 10-16-2007 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: My woman censors me on occasion.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
If you look at the bottom of page you will see similar threads where you might find some useful information about Dothan. You can also do an advanced search for Dothan and Enterprise area only on this forum. Someone just asked about the area a couple of weeks ago.
There are a few people on this forum from Dothan/Enterprise area, but it may be a few days to get an answer.

I came to AL from Tampa, I lived in TnC area. I now live in NE section of AL and it is so nice to be in a small town with little crime.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,590 times
Thanks for replying so quickly! My fiancee lives across the street from Busch Gardens and I was there for almost 4 years myself. It's no picnic! Thanks for your help and I'll keep my eyes open for other related threads.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:24 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
What are you going to do for health insurance when you deliver the baby?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 AM

An excellent question... one of many that we're suddenly having to deal with (this whole situation came on us rather surprisingly, as we only discovered that she was preggers a little over 3 weeks ago). I've been talking to my clients, as they are all magazine publishers and know loads of people and sell advertising to just about every sort of service on earth. Probably pull a favor with one of them in trade, since they constantly owe me money anyhow... and since they're self-employed as well, they most likely know more about this sort of thing than I do. Otherwise, their wives would have killed them by now.

Glad you mentioned it... lots of stuff to figure out! When my son was born 12 years ago, I had a regular job and insurance. This time's a bit different.

-Drew

Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 PM

763 posts, read 3,836,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
An excellent question... one of many that we're suddenly having to deal with (this whole situation came on us rather surprisingly, as we only discovered that she was preggers a little over 3 weeks ago). I've been talking to my clients, as they are all magazine publishers and know loads of people and sell advertising to just about every sort of service on earth. Probably pull a favor with one of them in trade, since they constantly owe me money anyhow... and since they're self-employed as well, they most likely know more about this sort of thing than I do. Otherwise, their wives would have killed them by now.

Glad you mentioned it... lots of stuff to figure out! When my son was born 12 years ago, I had a regular job and insurance. This time's a bit different.

-Drew
Make it a goal to get Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama. Excellent coverage and 95% of Alabama physicians participate....you need to do this ASAP as you have a Pre-Existing Condition.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 PM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
I am a bit fluffy today - your fiance is five months pregnant, you figured it out three weeks ago. Have her and the baby checked!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I am a bit fluffy today - your fiance is five months pregnant, you figured it out three weeks ago. Have her and the baby checked!
She's already been to the OB/GYN in Scottsdale three times... we've even got pictures of the little gal to prove it. She looks like an alien currently, but I'm sure her resemblance to me will fade in time.

I guess it does sound kind of irresponsible without an explanation... which would be far too long and boring to read, so to sum up: we'd decided to spend some time apart (break up, however one wishes to put it) in June, and that's when she moved to Arizona to live with her mom. Well, as it turned out, she took a bit of me with her... but didn't really FEEL pregnant (we had many, MANY false alarms over the last 4 years and 1 miscarriage, hence the hesitation to get our hopes up). When the symptoms finally were pretty much irrefutable, she went to a doctor and WHAMMO! Child. Reconciliation. Escape from the War Zone to a peaceful place.

And the adventure continues daily. Gotta love the simple life... we'd like to try one of those someday.

-Drew

Old 10-17-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo35223 View Post
Make it a goal to get Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama. Excellent coverage and 95% of Alabama physicians participate....you need to do this ASAP as you have a Pre-Existing Condition.
I've heard good things about them... we'll get to work on that if I'm not able to secure something with my clients. Thanks!

-Drew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama