Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 01:02 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. Recently I started looking into my ancestry for the first time. I'm the last kid of the last kids in our families so there's not a lot of oldsters to ask anymore (basically, my mom is it). I used Ancestry.com and discovered my Great-Grandfather was born and raised in Blount County before the Civil War (discovered he fought in it as well on the Confederate side - had no idea!). I also discovered my mom's great-grandmother was born in Jackson County (Scottsboro?). I have never been to Alabama - really had no idea my family's roots were so deep there (they were among the first settlers to the state it seems). I was wondering if anyone familiar with these counties or that area could give me a little insight into what they're like. People, culture - whatever. I want to come as soon as I can, but it would be nice to get a little info prior to that. Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:32 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Rural, small-town areas.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:06 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
My family were amongst the first to settle in my hometown in South Alabama. They actually established the town (used to be Jones Mill before being renamed Frisco City due to the train heading to San Francisco started coming through town). It's amazing what you can learn.

Yes, Scottsboro is part of Jackson County. Oenonta and Blountsville are two towns in Blount County. Not a lot goes on in either place and as Dirt Grinder mentioned it's smaller rural areas. People are generally friendly as most Alabamians are. My recommendation would be to gather research and see if you can find out where exactly they lived and then come to Huntsville for a week. It's a 45 minute drive from there to either place. You can go to those areas and you might find an old timer or two that knows or has heard of some of the history.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:22 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
Blount county has an exclusive area around Blount Springs. It was one of those mineral spring spa type places found throughout the early years of the country.

It became an area that has been sequestered and built with many very expensive homes. Once a weekend getaway, but there are many that commute into Birmingham now. (just about twenty miles, it was one of the first outlying counties to become part of the metro area)

Blount is known for covered bridges. There are about eight, I believe. It is part of the Warrior River system.
Just across the Cullman county line is the Shrine of the most Blessed Sacrament. A large and beautiful convent and cathedral, on the scale of old Europe. It is quite a visitor attraction built in a Tuscan style with piazza and its beauty is breathtaking. I have been to many in Europe including Russia, and I can say that this place took my breath the first time I walked into it.

Enjoy your adventure, and remember how tree limbs grow; there are people out there that are related to you, you are just the last of your own twig.

Last edited by preguntas; 05-25-2016 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-25-2016, 04:58 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Hi folks. Recently I started looking into my ancestry for the first time. I'm the last kid of the last kids in our families so there's not a lot of oldsters to ask anymore (basically, my mom is it). I used Ancestry.com and discovered my Great-Grandfather was born and raised in Blount County before the Civil War (discovered he fought in it as well on the Confederate side - had no idea!). I also discovered my mom's great-grandmother was born in Jackson County (Scottsboro?). I have never been to Alabama - really had no idea my family's roots were so deep there (they were among the first settlers to the state it seems). I was wondering if anyone familiar with these counties or that area could give me a little insight into what they're like. People, culture - whatever. I want to come as soon as I can, but it would be nice to get a little info prior to that. Thank you very much.
I would visit some of the librarys in the area. Very often they will ha e historical documents and may help with you search

Old 05-26-2016, 04:05 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm definitely heading for Alabama for my next vacation and research how I might track down more information about my ancestors there. My paternal great-grandfathers intrigue me the most (share the last name!). He was 49 when my grandpa was born and my grandpa was 70 when I was born. Basically, even though I was born in the 1960s, I'm pretty close generational to him. Confederate soldier, wounded at Chickamauga and captured three months later (and still somehow survived). I was pretty much ignorant until a few weeks ago about him and now I have to come back to where it all began. I hope he knows somehow that even though its been 110 years since he past his great-grandson is trying to get to know him (as best I can). I really can't wait to visit!

Old 05-26-2016, 06:17 AM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
if and when you come be sure to do so in the september/october period or next year in the april/may / early june time frame as so not to be shocked by the heat of summer ..anytime during winter would be ok as it rarely gets extremely cold but you would miss the wonderful foliage .. look at any map of north alabama and in every county you will see mountains ..where you want to go yo will have Blount Mt.. ..there`s sand mt. nearby ..in scotsboro you`ll be on the guntersville Mt range and be near the tennessee river .. ..as i say come when the weather is nice and you mite wish to stay ..a modest 400 grand home in california will get you a mansion in north bama with a small farm ....take a look at "find a grave .com " and it may locate great grand dad .. also look up his name in some of the confederate muster rolls ..and if your last name is Hyatt we may be related ... lots of Hyatts in that area back then ....

Old 05-26-2016, 06:17 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm definitely heading for Alabama for my next vacation and research how I might track down more information about my ancestors there. My paternal great-grandfathers intrigue me the most (share the last name!). He was 49 when my grandpa was born and my grandpa was 70 when I was born. Basically, even though I was born in the 1960s, I'm pretty close generational to him. Confederate soldier, wounded at Chickamauga and captured three months later (and still somehow survived). I was pretty much ignorant until a few weeks ago about him and now I have to come back to where it all began. I hope he knows somehow that even though its been 110 years since he past his great-grandson is trying to get to know him (as best I can). I really can't wait to visit!
It would definitely be worth your time to visit Chickamauga. You may just find his name there.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:23 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Many of the settlers in these areas, especially North Alabama, came down the Applalachian Mountains via Virginia, western North Carolina and east Tennessee. Lots of relatives in all these areas.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:15 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
My family were amongst the first to settle in my hometown in South Alabama. They actually established the town (used to be Jones Mill before being renamed Frisco City due to the train heading to San Francisco started coming through town). It's amazing what you can learn.
I believe some of my kin were related to Roy Megargel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama