Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 06:37 AM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's a terrific resource. Thanks for showing me this. I wonder how commuting patterns will change for Walker County over the next several years?
One would think that I-22 would make it easier to commute to Birmingham, but the census estimates show Walker County losing population from 67,000 at the 2010 census to 63,500 at the 2019 estimates. Those estimates can be off quite a bit however, and it's always possible that Walker County could one day develop as a bedroom community for B''ham like Shelby County has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Yeah it was odd (and a bit concerning) that Walker County was removed from the MSA after I-22 opened. While not a very big loss, I hope that reverses the next time they recalculate MSAs. Of course, in a post-COVID world you have to wonder if commuting patterns will remain the method for calculating these, as these will likely shrink across the board in most places as telecommuting / WFH becomes commonplace.
I don't think work from home will last all that long for most people. Adults in the workplace need social interaction just like kids in school do. I know I, for one, would go nuts if I had to work from home all the time. I actually enjoyed going into the office, but maybe times have passed me by.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:06 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
One would think that I-22 would make it easier to commute to Birmingham, but the census estimates show Walker County losing population from 67,000 at the 2010 census to 63,500 at the 2019 estimates. Those estimates can be off quite a bit however, and it's always possible that Walker County could one day develop as a bedroom community for B''ham like Shelby County has.

Walker County was hit hard by the movement away from coal. However, with an increase in manufacturing in Birmingham, it makes sense that a lot of those former coal miners could find meaningful employment.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:56 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
I don't think work from home will last all that long for most people. Adults in the workplace need social interaction just like kids in school do. I know I, for one, would go nuts if I had to work from home all the time. I actually enjoyed going into the office, but maybe times have passed me by.

There is just no substitute for being able to walk down a hall to someone's office and ask a question. I don't care how good the technology is.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:59 AM

1,017 posts, read 639,673 times
Quote:
Are you familiar with this map that shows commuting patterns in Alabama? Not that many from Etowah to Jefferson - 1450 or so, so I can't see them moving into the B'ham/Hoover MSA. They're not even in the CSA at the moment. The map is pretty interesting to play around with, but I've never quite figured out how to navigate this type of map all that well.
I think traffic patterns to neighborbing MSA counties have something to do with it too, but don't quote me on that.

If they are really trying to cut back on metros, this would be an easy way to do it and of course, hand over more clout to existing metros.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:57 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
I support changing it from 50k to 100k.

Who actually considers Decatur or Anniston "metropolitan" areas. Come on.

Really, I think a better definition for a metropolitan area would be not of having a core city of 100k necessarily, but maybe an area core of 250k.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
I support changing it from 50k to 100k.

Who actually considers Decatur or Anniston "metropolitan" areas. Come on.

Really, I think a better definition for a metropolitan area would be not of having a core city of 100k necessarily, but maybe an area core of 250k.
I think they sort of did that anyway. For instance, Hattiesburg, MS only has a population of 46,000 in the city but they (currently) are considered an MSA anyway.

I agree - 50,000 just doesn't cut it any longer to be called a metro. 100K for the central city puts it back in line with the original definition meaning from 70 years ago. I believe the person proposing the change is the former director of the Census Bureau, so has some credibility.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:31 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,337,250 times
Many people don't realize that (for example) commuters from Etowah do not have to come into Jefferson to influence becoming part of the MSA or CSA. Etowah commuters only need to work in Blount or St. Clair or Talladega to create the percent of commute necessary. Talladega was joined due to the fact that the majority of Honda/Acura workers chose to build homes in St. Clair.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I think they sort of did that anyway. For instance, Hattiesburg, MS only has a population of 46,000 in the city but they (currently) are considered an MSA anyway.

I agree - 50,000 just doesn't cut it any longer to be called a metro. 100K for the central city puts it back in line with the original definition meaning from 70 years ago. I believe the person proposing the change is the former director of the Census Bureau, so has some credibility.
Almost all of the fifty largest metros have at least one suburb of 100,000 or approaching, so that could be another good reason to boost the core population beyond that number.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
Yeah it was odd (and a bit concerning) that Walker County was removed from the MSA after I-22 opened. While not a very big loss, I hope that reverses the next time they recalculate MSAs. Of course, in a post-COVID world you have to wonder if commuting patterns will remain the method for calculating these, as these will likely shrink across the board in most places as telecommuting / WFH becomes commonplace.

Walker has been in and out of the MSA more than once over the past fifty years. It never misses a beat though. It remains list under umbrella organizations such as BBA as they know it is going nowhere. It has unique economic and commuter circumstances , but the main contribution is that it is one of the two lowest MSA's in population and therefore it does not take much to move up or down on that percentage scale. None of the other have ever done that and yet Walker had done it about three times.
I think I-22 and its development will stabilize that.

You are quite correct about Tuscaloosa; the traffic flow in both directions on I-20/59 looks like only game day traffic use to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama