Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2023, 02:52 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times

Advertisements

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...etin-23-01.pdf

1. Walker County is back in the B'ham Metro
2. Neither Huntsville or Decatur MSA changed
3. Mobile dropped Washington County, did not pick up Baldwin
4. Montgomery MSA has 4 counties; I think picked up Lowndes County

Birmingham CSA appears to be the same as it was

Huntsville CSA picked up Marshall, Dekalb, and Lincoln TN (called Huntsville/Decatur/Albertville CSA once again). Total Counties are Madison, Limestone, Morgan, Lamar, Marshall, DeKalb in Alabama and Lincoln in Tennessee. Population estimate July 2023 appears to be 879,315

Last edited by RocketDawg; 07-21-2023 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 03:17 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,029,926 times
Welp. That Walker County pickup is kind of big for Birmingham.

Old 07-21-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Welp. That Walker County pickup is kind of big for Birmingham.
Not sure why it was ever dropped.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:40 PM

858 posts, read 585,192 times
Damn Mobile got royally screwed on this go round

Montgomery metro didn't change it was already 4 county metro

Old 07-21-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Damn Mobile got royally screwed on this go round

Montgomery metro didn't change it was already 4 county metro
In the linked document, some things were italicized. Still don't know what the italics mean, but at the time of my post I was thinking it was a new county. But that's not the case.

Yeah, I thought Mobile might pick up Baldwin, but Baldwin is so large in area, and a lot of people work on the coast, that the required 25% must not have been met.

Old 07-21-2023, 09:05 PM

541 posts, read 555,881 times
Italicized counties are central counties. They're actually a pretty decent deal since those are the main counties the commuting calculations are based off of. Birmingham having St. Clair as a central county means Anniston and Gadsden are more likely to join Birmingham's CSA in the future.

What's noticeable: Birmingham absorbed Jasper again. CSA added one county as Talladega stripped Alex City of Coosa County.

Huntsville's CSA blew up, adding Fort Payne, Albertville and the new Fayetteville, TN micropolitan area. Scottsboro is now in the Chattanooga CSA.

Mobile lost Washington County. Also, Atmore is no longer a micropolitan area.

Russellville is a new micropolitan area. It's in the new Shoals CSA.

If any CSA took a beating, it's Montgomery. It lost Alexander City to Columbus. Auburn also added Macon County to its MSA. I kinda wished it could take LaGrange from Atlanta, but it didn't (BTW: Marietta is now a metropolitan division of Atlanta).

Dothan added Enterprise to the CSA. It was weirder that it wasn't with Dothan to begin with.

Anniston, Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, Troy and Eufaula are the "non-CSA" areas, now. I thought Anniston might add Cleburne County, but it didn't. Nothing changed for these five.

Old 07-22-2023, 07:00 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
In the linked document, some things were italicized. Still don't know what the italics mean, but at the time of my post I was thinking it was a new county. But that's not the case.

Yeah, I thought Mobile might pick up Baldwin, but Baldwin is so large in area, and a lot of people work on the coast, that the required 25% must not have been met.
I'm shocked too because I think it's a little over 25% for the commute to Mobile. The Easternshore commutes to Mobile for work ( Spanish Fort,Daphne,Fairhope). The beach areas are mostly hospitality related. In other words Baldwin's largest population cluster commutes to Mobile for work. Still shocked on that one well both actually.

Still don't understand why Tuscaloosa county isn't in Bham's MSA they are being cheated. And Huntsville with Decatur parts of Huntsville's city limits share counties with Decatur. I just don't get it.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemean View Post
1. Italicized counties are central counties. They're actually a pretty decent deal since those are the main counties the commuting calculations are based off of. Birmingham having St. Clair as a central county means Anniston and Gadsden are more likely to join Birmingham's CSA in the future.

What's noticeable: Birmingham absorbed Jasper again. CSA added one county as Talladega stripped Alex City of Coosa County.

2. Huntsville's CSA blew up, adding Fort Payne, Albertville and the new Fayetteville, TN micropolitan area. Scottsboro is now in the Chattanooga CSA.

Mobile lost Washington County. Also, Atmore is no longer a micropolitan area.

3. Russellville is a new micropolitan area. It's in the new Shoals CSA.

If any CSA took a beating, it's Montgomery. It lost Alexander City to Columbus. Auburn also added Macon County to its MSA. I kinda wished it could take LaGrange from Atlanta, but it didn't (BTW: Marietta is now a metropolitan division of Atlanta).

Dothan added Enterprise to the CSA. It was weirder that it wasn't with Dothan to begin with.

Anniston, Gadsden, Tuscaloosa, Troy and Eufaula are the "non-CSA" areas, now. I thought Anniston might add Cleburne County, but it didn't. Nothing changed for these five.
1. That makes sense. Thanks.

2. Yes, the Huntsville really blew up and is reasonable, but I still wonder about DeKalb County being included. Maybe it's because of their association with Marshall County, which was added back in to the CSA.

Gotta wonder why Jackson County is in Chattanooga's CSA instead of Huntsville's. Scottosboro is the largest (really the only) city in Jackson County, and presumably they have closer ties to Huntsville than Chattanooga. But Jackson is a physically large county.

3. Adding Russellville to the Shoals CSA makes sense. That's an area that sort of slips under the radar but has a modest growth. They would do a lot better if they had Interstate access (the non-existent Memphis/Huntsville/Atlanta I-28).

As an aside, the MSA and, by extension, the CSA, of Jackson MS is HUGE. Perhaps it's because there are no other cities nearby and the workers in outlying counties flock to Jackson to work. The "real" MSA should probably be Hinds, Rankin, and Madison Counties though.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I'm shocked too because I think it's a little over 25% for the commute to Mobile. The Easternshore commutes to Mobile for work ( Spanish Fort,Daphne,Fairhope). The beach areas are mostly hospitality related. In other words Baldwin's largest population cluster commutes to Mobile for work. Still shocked on that one well both actually.

Still don't understand why Tuscaloosa county isn't in Bham's MSA they are being cheated. And Huntsville with Decatur parts of Huntsville's city limits share counties with Decatur. I just don't get it.
If you look at the commuter patterns, not that many workers in Tuscaloosa County commute to Jefferson County. There is a website that shows major commuter numbers in Alabama (I had it bookmarked but one of the iOS updates deleted about half my bookmarks and reordered the remaining ones), but if I recall correctly Tuscaloosa to Jefferson commuters were under 10% of the workforce. In fact, as many went the other way - Jefferson to Tuscaloosa. Plus, the cities are about 60 miles apart.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:27 AM

5,000 posts, read 9,146,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
If you look at the commuter patterns, not that many workers in Tuscaloosa County commute to Jefferson County. There is a website that shows major commuter numbers in Alabama (I had it bookmarked but one of the iOS updates deleted about half my bookmarks and reordered the remaining ones), but if I recall correctly Tuscaloosa to Jefferson commuters were under 10% of the workforce. In fact, as many went the other way - Jefferson to Tuscaloosa. Plus, the cities are about 60 miles apart.
Dang that's shocking man just 10% is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama