Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,626 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a young person (23) from the great plains region of the United States that in the future is interested in moving to the south. Specifically, I am interested in Alabama, North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia.

I have talked to people from these areas and read about major cities and seen pictures but have not visited there at all. I find these states interesting because of what it seems to me a pro-business/economic growth attitude and what I would consider great weather. Also, the close proximity to the ocean is also a plus (except tennessee).

I am sort of mostly interested in Alabama and North Carolina. Cities like: Huntsville, Birmingham metro area, Mobile metro area, Charlotte metro area, Wilmington, and Greenville. Cities like Knoxville, Columbia, Athens, Augusta, Charleston, also seem appealing.

I have lived in the Fargo-Moorhead (ND and MN) area my whole life and I HATE the winters up hear. I enjoy all 4 seasons but the winters here suck. Furthermore, I am interested working mainly in finance/banking/real estate jobs. Also, I want to be an entrepeneur in the future so a state with low taxes and pro business growth attitude is a must for me.

Which area do you think would be the best for me? Would I fit in? Would women view me as an "outsider?"

About me:

-23, consider myself center-right politically, not afraid of black people, own a gun, enjoy being outside, I am extroverted and like meething new people, I enjoy tennis, golf, being near water, like thinking about business ideas, etc...

Tall, muscular, caucasion (Norway, Germany, France = my ethnic background)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 11:24 PM

346 posts, read 852,070 times
There's a huge German influence in Huntsville. People are very diverse here and IMO, you would def not be viewed as an "outsider". Would you be moving here for employment or were you looking at the college aspect as well?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:19 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,607,972 times
I don't think your "ethnic background" really matters at all. I don't think the outsider thing will be much of an issue for you, as a white mid-westerner. But they don't really like tall people here. Just kidding, everyone here is a giant compared to where I grew up.
You say you like all 4 seasons. Do you need them? If ocean is a priorities over seasons, then somewhere like Mobile is for you. If you like mild, but actual winters then more north (eg Birmingham or Huntsville) is for you.
I would guess that with finance, Charlotte and Birmingham would be high on the list. Although I don't know how well Charlotte has recovered. Not saying it hasn't, I just don't know.
I also don't know about Charlotte, but Birmingham seems to love love love golfing, from what I can tell. Don't see many tennis fans, and the courts that exist are fairly empty compared to where I'm from, but that's not to say that in any of those cities there won't be plenty of people to play with. You just might not be able to chat it up at the water cooler or whatever. If you like to chat about sports here are the top five to get into: college football, college football, college football, college football, and college football.
I'm betting that hunting would be abundant in any of those places. Although I don't know enough to know where it might be better or worse.

Last edited by bluebeard; 09-08-2010 at 08:54 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 06:45 PM

I should also add I am originally from North Dakota and I am a male

Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamachic80 View Post
There's a huge German influence in Huntsville. People are very diverse here and IMO, you would def not be viewed as an "outsider". Would you be moving here for employment or were you looking at the college aspect as well?

I would say in the future for employment and trying to build businesses

Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM

179 posts, read 393,147 times
I'm originally from Kansas and find Huntsville very accepting. It seems that in Huntsville "everyone is from somewhere else" which puts everyone on a level field.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:52 PM

23,612 posts, read 70,504,176 times
Charlotte, N.C.. Women always view men as outsiders. That is as it should be.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 PM

346 posts, read 852,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prden View Post
I'm originally from Kansas and find Huntsville very accepting. It seems that in Huntsville "everyone is from somewhere else" which puts everyone on a level field.
Yes, alot of transients. Everyone I've met here is from somewhere other than Huntsville...very few locals. Other than a few ladies in my meetup group, I'm the closest to being local, from Tuscaloosa few hours South.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:28 PM

How is the southern alabama area? Mobile looks interesting to me...

Old 09-11-2010, 08:30 PM

Howabout Tennessee also? Are places like johnson city and knoxville good for outsiders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama