Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 09:13 AM

13 posts, read 82,451 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I might have the oppertunity to take a job in Valley and was wondering if anyone had lived there or was familiar with the area, etc.

If so, what are your thoughts on the city?

- What's the housing market like?

- What is average rent like?

- How is crime?

- Shopping? Is there any... I know there can't be much in a city that small... I'm especially interested in what the local grocery, clothing, and pet stores might be like (if there are any).

Just as a reference, I would be coming from the phenix city/columbus GA area and would probably have to move to take the job (I know it's only a 45 minute commute, but I can't afford the gas and I hate long commutes).

I appreciate any and all help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 02:20 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,506 times
I was born and raised in that area. I left in 1962. Back then it was a pretty good place to live, but I believe all the textile mills have closed and that used to be the only industry. The new KIA plant is nearby and should bring a lot of prosperity to the area. The small towns that make up the Valley are Riverview, Fairfax, Langdale, Shawmut(My Town),Hugley, Plant City. I don't know if Lanett is part of Valley and West Point, Ga. would never admit to it. A lot of the old mill villages have really gone down and it is a pity, but there is a lot of newer housing there. No shopping malls that I know of.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,724 times
Default oh Valley...

[FONT=Verdana]I grew up in Valley and left last year (sort of) to attend Auburn University (it's only about 30 minutes away). But, honestly, even though I grew up there, I will never be able to get far enough away. Valley is a black hole when it comes to entertainment, shopping (unless you consider Wal-Mart as a retail Mecca), education (even the "better" private schools aren’t up to par), and an intellectually capable population overall. Most of the inhabitants (not all, though) of Valley are either country dumbasses or very close to it and most have a very small, skewed view of anything outside of their existence. A lot of people here were lucky to have graduated high school and don't fully understand the importance of a quality education. By the way, if you have a daughter, run for the hills (if you haven't been scared off yet) because she will most likely be pregnant by the age of 15 but at least by 18. On that note, HIV/AIDS rates are booming among the 15-25 age range in this area (I knew several people that I went to high school with that were infected, and those are just the ones that I knew of.) But, from what I understand, the Valley area used to be a nice place to live, but since the 80's things are been sliding quickly and I really don't think anything will truly heave it from its depths. Also, count yourself lucky to have found a job here; Chambers County has a 10.5% unemployment rate and all the problems that come along with it. There's a plethora of other issues with this town and area in general, but it would take forever to adequately delve into them...and I think I sound as though I'm ranting :-) Anyway, if you take the job in Valley, be aware that it's not all that great in this part of Alabama, and you may not see it straight off, but in time, you'll be clawing at the walls.[/FONT]

Old 07-31-2008, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 7,920 times
Valley is ok but I wouldn't want to live there. Have a brother that retired to that area. A lot of country but nothing else. No malls no grocery stores. Just little Mom & Pop type of stores. My brother does all his shopping in Auburn.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:59 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygreen View Post
Valley is ok but I wouldn't want to live there. Have a brother that retired to that area. A lot of country but nothing else. No malls no grocery stores. Just little Mom & Pop type of stores. My brother does all his shopping in Auburn.
Plenty of people would think that's wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama