Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 05:39 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,095 times

Advertisements

Like what I did for the national census in another forum, I broke down the 2009 population estimates that were recently released from the Census Bureau. After looking at the national estimates, I began to look at the state estimates. I looked into Alaska because I hear almost nothing about changing demographics in Alaska and other relevant issues. Anyway, here is what the Census Bureau estimates is a ballpark figure for the state.

2000 2009
Non-Hispanic White 68% 65.2%
Hispanic 4.1% 6.4%
Black 3.4% 3.9%
Native Alaskan 15.5% 14.7%
Asian 4% 4.8%
>2 Races 4.5% 4.4%

Note: All ethnic groups selected except for Hispanics belong to only "one Race" and "Non hispanic"

That leaves me several questions for Alaskans...

1. What are your reactions to the Census estimates? Seem accurate enough?

2. What racial issues dominate race relations in Alaska? ex. In Arizona it is between Anglos and Latinos over the issue of immigration. ex. in Alabama it still is between blacks and whites over beaten to death topics. ex. In Hawaii it is between Natives and whites over who really belongs in Hawaii. What about Alaska? (please just state the basic issues so we do not have a big fight)

3. Most importantly, do these demographics vary by region of Alaska and municipality or are they more evenly distruted?

I am not trying to start a big debate, I just want to hear the basic facts. (((Note, I am just trying to further understand ethnic relations in your part of the country that recieves so little attention.))) As someone with a deep personal interest in demographics and ethnic relations, I know little about Alaska's issues. It is the only part of the country where I am not familiar with the basic issues. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:57 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,110 times
Why don't you wait until December when the Current Census Data is released??

Old 06-17-2010, 12:53 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
Why are you so interested in ethnic relations. That fact is interesting to me. I grew up in an Indian village in Alaska but I'm 1/2 dutch and 1/2 mutt. I never really thought much about it. I got along great with all my friends and learned something about their culture. Never really thought about mine or anyone elses.

What is ethnicity to you? You mention Hispanics. Isn't there a difference between Guatemalans, Columbians, Mexicans? I have nephews in Spain, they are 1/2 spanish and have lived there all their lives. They are spanish, but moved to Barcelona where people aren't necessarily spanish but catalan, they speak a different language in school.

In America, I like to think that except for the original Americans, we are all Americans first and our own ethnicity should come second. Original Americans are a little MORE American. I kind of think of the US as different, we should welcome people from anywhere, but expect those people to come here because they want to become Americans.

The Balkans, are the epitome of where people are their ethnicity first, and they nurse their hurts and grudges through the years.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:34 AM

5 posts, read 12,079 times
basics:
AK Natives don't trust whites and trully believe the government owes them something, most are hard working but alcoholism and drug abuse run high
Hispanics usually only seen during fishing seasons working at canneries
Phillopinos live and work here in large numbers, maintain thier own cultures and groupes
African Americans largest crime group, largest pop in Anchorage
Arab maintain own cultures and communities
White hold most of the highest paying jobs and own most of the property

Old 06-24-2010, 12:03 PM

432 posts, read 760,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynch View Post
AK Natives don't trust whites and trully believe the government owes them something...
Does everyone concur? Is this generally true?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:58 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
Does everyone concur? Is this generally true?
No, everyone does not concur....but some us get tired of this kind of white trash ignorance and consider the people who spout it to not be worth our time.

I would imagine though, that if this person actually lives in Alaska, the Natives in that particular community don't trust him/her, can't blame them there.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:07 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynch View Post
basics:
AK Natives don't trust whites and truly believe the government owes them something, most are hard working but alcoholism and drug abuse run high
Hispanics usually only seen during fishing seasons working at canneries
Filipinos live and work here in large numbers, maintain their own cultures and groups
African Americans largest crime group, largest pop in Anchorage
Arab maintain own cultures and communities
White hold most of the highest paying jobs and own most of the property
There are high rates of intermarriage between whites and Alaska Natives. Are you sure that whites are not trusted by Alaska Natives?

Also, where is your source backing up your claim that blacks are the "largest crime group"?

Old 06-24-2010, 02:13 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Why are you so interested in ethnic relations. That fact is interesting to me. I grew up in an Indian village in Alaska but I'm 1/2 dutch and 1/2 mutt. I never really thought much about it. I got along great with all my friends and learned something about their culture. Never really thought about mine or anyone else.

What is ethnicity to you? You mention Hispanics. Isn't there a difference between Guatemalans, Colombians, Mexicans? I have nephews in Spain, they are 1/2 Spanish and have lived there all their lives. They are Spanish, but moved to Barcelona where people aren't necessarily Spanish but Catalan, they speak a different language in school.

In America, I like to think that except for the original Americans, we are all Americans first and our own ethnicity should come second. Original Americans are a little MORE American. I kind of think of the US as different, we should welcome people from anywhere, but expect those people to come here because they want to become Americans.

The Balkans, are the epitome of where people are their ethnicity first, and they nurse their hurts and grudges through the years.
1/2 "Mutt"? Huh?

And yes, there are differences between Guatemalans, Colombians, and Mexicans. I don't know why you're so annoyed by the topic creator.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:44 PM

432 posts, read 760,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, everyone does not concur....but some us get tired of this kind of white trash ignorance and consider the people who spout it to not be worth our time.

I would imagine though, that if this person actually lives in Alaska, the Natives in that particular community don't trust him/her, can't blame them there.
I figured not. I don't get that sense at all. I was just looking for an expert opinion there.

Good to see you again, Met.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:28 PM

286 posts, read 535,363 times
My cousins are one half Tlingit and they don't seem to be racist at all. But beyond all the racial questions, I beg to ask.....

aren't there lots more men in Alaksa than women? My cousin near Anchorage wants me to visit the last part of August and I would love to do some sight seeing, the traditional tourist stuff and some for my never ending hormonal high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: