Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,197 times

Advertisements

Im conducting a study on how people currently get goods and groceries in Northwest region, specifically Kotzebue. The aim of this study is to propose solutions and find better alternatives for people living in that area.

I believe people currently get their goods from local stores in the area, ship it in mail orders or fly to Anchorage and similar bigger cities to buy those.

If you live in that area or have information please help me by posting it. Im interested in knowing anything related to where you go to buy goods, how much does it cost, what options you have, what problems you encounter, what development projects can be done their to make this experience better and less costly, what alternatives you propose or any suggestions you have, recommendations and links that can help me get more information.

Ill appreciate any information you can provide, this project will help improve the quality of life in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,171 times
I'm pretty sure everything is shipped in by monorail or *** team.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:44 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,613,331 times
Stupid yaks...

Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
They build an ice road all around Alaska in the winter time. You should know this by now. I seen it on TV!

Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Buying goods, it's right outside their front door. They call them subsistence foods. Caribou, seals, walrus, moose, and fishes of all types.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
Fly in. Ask around.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:05 PM

191 posts, read 360,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirna_houston View Post
Im conducting a study on how people currently get goods and groceries in Northwest region, specifically Kotzebue. The aim of this study is to propose solutions and find better alternatives for people living in that area.

I believe people currently get their goods from local stores in the area, ship it in mail orders or fly to Anchorage and similar bigger cities to buy those.

If you live in that area or have information please help me by posting it. Im interested in knowing anything related to where you go to buy goods, how much does it cost, what options you have, what problems you encounter, what development projects can be done their to make this experience better and less costly, what alternatives you propose or any suggestions you have, recommendations and links that can help me get more information.

Ill appreciate any information you can provide, this project will help improve the quality of life in the area.
Well you got some snarky answers, but it is hard to give a serious answer when someone just posts for the first time without any history and asks something that broad. We might be able to be a bit more helpful if we knew a bit more.

1) Why Kotzebue?
2) Who are you working for?
3) Are you thinking about some kind of business.

I'm not sure if we have any regulars from Kotz. I've been there a couple of times and I'm sure others here have as well. If I remember correctly, they have a AC store (Alaska Commercial), order in from Anchorage, and of course do a lot of subsistence hunting. The suggestion about flying in and looking around is the best. There is no way anyone can have a clue about a bush town without having been in one. If you absolutely can't ..I'd call KOTZ, the local radio station and ask. Be prepared for suspicion if/until people understand what you are trying to do.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
If he calls KOTZ they may assume he is a local playing a joke on them ;-)

Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 AM

191 posts, read 360,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
If he calls KOTZ they may assume he is a local playing a joke on them ;-)
Good point. I always loved their motto "KOTZ .the ONLY one" (and they are)

Old 06-30-2010, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 11,969 times
I am a new one to here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska