Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 PM

145 posts, read 570,729 times

Advertisements

We just haul our water in, but...once and a while I have *thoughts*; I try not to think about what it might be like to have water (potable) coming out of a sink...a shower...wowzer...what a thought

But, it is all good...just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 PM

432 posts, read 760,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Deb View Post
We just haul our water in, but...once and a while I have *thoughts*; I try not to think about what it might be like to have water (potable) coming out of a sink...a shower...wowzer...what a thought

But, it is all good...just the way it is.
That's one thing I don't think I would want to have to deal with - hauling water. I suppose one can get used to anything, though, and I imagine that it's probably not as big a chore as I suppose.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:04 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Lots of places around the state have to haul water. Many people who live on the Chena Ridge in Fairbanks have to haul water. It doesn;t look like a huge chore.... but one I would not want to do in the winter. They generally have huge tanks either in the back of their trucks or on a trailer. Generally 400 - 600 gallon tanks. Those with trailers just drop the trailer with the full tank near the home where the pump is located, hook it up and viola.

From what I understand... the water is pretty darn cheap. I would imagine you are much more conscious how much you use as well.

I know there are also parts in Barrow where the water delivery truck comes and fills your tanks. So no water hauling there, but you do have to keep an eye on it so the water man comes before you run out.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,892 times
water is not so cheap, sure 5cents per gallon seems reasonable until you have to fill a 1500 gallon tank and it is gone in 3 weeks then you do it all over again. Having city water and sewer has been way more affordable for us as a family of 7.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:04 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,035,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
water is not so cheap, sure 5cents per gallon seems reasonable until you have to fill a 1500 gallon tank and it is gone in 3 weeks then you do it all over again. Having city water and sewer has been way more affordable for us as a family of 7.
I used to sell water for 10 cents a bucket when I was a kid. Just dipped it out of the creek in the winter and hauled it around town on my sled. No shortage of buyers but I always quit when I had enough for treats at the store...which only took one trip.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDawg View Post
I'll be heading to my new home in Alaska in a few weeks, and a question just occurred to me: Can I drink the water? Another, related question is are the fish from the river safe to eat? These questions came up while I was reading about the village's water source. I've had someone suggest to me on another forum that neither the groundwater nor fish from the river are safe to consume. Anyone know anything about that?

Oh, the village is Lower Kalskag, by the bye, and the river is the Kuskokwim.
Some information about Lower Kalskag water:

The State and the Federal government are coughing up about a million in taxpayer dollars to design and construct a piped water and sewer system in the City of Lower Kalskag for FY11. The estimated dates for this project are from July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2015.

Also, according to the Contaminated Sites program within the Spill Prevention and Response Division, Department of Environmental Conservation, there appears to be an old tank farm with some contamination in the southern portion of the bermed area. A more thorough examination has not yet been made. See: Contaminated Sites Database Report (http://www.dec.state.ak.us/spar/csp/search/IC_Tracking/Site_Report.aspx?Hazard_ID=4686 - broken link)

According to the Department of Commerce, Division of Community & Regional Affairs, just about all the homes, school, and store have individual wells with potable water. A piped gravity sewage system with lift stations, force main and lagoon serves around 60 households and facilities. Some homes lost use of their utilities due to burst pipes and dried up wells. About ten to twelve homes do not have utility services. See: Alaska Division of Community and Regional Affairs

Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 AM

57 posts, read 130,015 times
$1million to get water - great use of money
Heard they also spent $1million on the new buss-stop by the Museum in Anchorage.........

Lets see.........water for people or a fancy buss-stop.......which do you guys think was the better way to spend money?

Old 07-07-2010, 12:08 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeak01 View Post
$1million to get water - great use of money
Heard they also spent $1million on the new buss-stop by the Museum in Anchorage.........

Lets see.........water for people or a fancy buss-stop.......which do you guys think was the better way to spend money?
Obviously the bus..... more people use it.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:26 PM

432 posts, read 760,940 times
Hey! Some of us are looking forward to having that water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska