Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 12:55 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
In the past we had McMansions, in the future we'll have Yurts. As our society becomes more nomadic due to a pisspoor economy, the Yurt will be just the ticket for relocating to another state.

No mortage. No property tax. Just an initial outlay of 5 to 10 thousand dollars.

Go Yurts!
No property tax? The borough charges you on the land, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 12:59 PM

122 posts, read 240,698 times
I have looked for rental yurts but the only thing I have been able to find in that department is vacation rentals.I have not found 1 to rent year round... however I think it would be cheaper to just buy my own. The only thing I'm not so sure on is where to put it and how much it's going to cost to buy my own little slice of heaven.It is my absolute goal and ambition to get there this spring and all my energy this year is going to be spent figuring out all the details. I'm stoked!!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 01:09 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
You are better off buying a piece of property with a cabin on it. If you are going to pay that much for land to put a yurt on, why not buy one with a house/cabin on it already?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:17 PM

All the properties i have found with previous existing structures seem to be out of my price range. I have found some reasonably priced land in various parts of Alaska and it would only cost me between $10,000 and $15,000. I want to find land for around the same amount. I have not seen one property for sale anywhere close to $30,000.(it's all been WAY more!) If you happen to know where I could find a decent priced cabin and land I would love to find out about it. Pricing isn't the only reason I would love to live in a yurt, but also because it is eco-friendly.Even if I had a cabin I would still end up putting up a yurt...don't know why but my family has always wanted to live in one.We like the nomadic life-style.We have lived with way less than a yurt (by choice).We just believe there is more to life than material possessions

Old 08-15-2010, 02:26 PM

Spend a winter up here in a house, then reconsider a yurt.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:58 PM

I spent a good deal of time living out of a pop-up camper with my husband, 3 kids, a cat, and a dog in the mountains of Wyoming and Montana. We were in the Grand Tetons in Wyoming and all over in Montana. It was winter there, and from what I hear their winters are more bitter than some parts of Alaska.The wind was fierce, but I would say over all it was pretty good. A yurt would give us tons more space and I would think more sturdy than a vinyl sided 1974 camper. We did have an encounter with a bear scraping under my bed while I was in it, and that was nerve-racking to say the least. I know there are way more bears in Alaska and I wonder if they get into yurts a lot? When we first move up there we plan on living in a house until we can explore a little and find out where exactly we want to be. The yurt thing is our long term goal, but that may change once we get there, who knows? But seriously, if you know of any good priced cabins and land I would be highly interested.The most we can afford is around $30,000.I know that probably doesn't go far in such an amazing place.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi123 View Post
I spent a good deal of time living out of a pop-up camper with my husband, 3 kids, a cat, and a dog in the mountains of Wyoming and Montana. We were in the Grand Tetons in Wyoming and all over in Montana. It was winter there, and from what I hear their winters are more bitter than some parts of Alaska.The wind was fierce, but I would say over all it was pretty good. A yurt would give us tons more space and I would think more sturdy than a vinyl sided 1974 camper. We did have an encounter with a bear scraping under my bed while I was in it, and that was nerve-racking to say the least. I know there are way more bears in Alaska and I wonder if they get into yurts a lot? When we first move up there we plan on living in a house until we can explore a little and find out where exactly we want to be. The yurt thing is our long term goal, but that may change once we get there, who knows? But seriously, if you know of any good priced cabins and land I would be highly interested.The most we can afford is around $30,000.I know that probably doesn't go far in such an amazing place.
$30, 000 will barely be enough to move up here with family, pets, and furniture. Yurts in Alaska? Although I have heard some people have them, I have never seen any. I am certain that a yurt would not be a good place to spend the winter in the interior of Alaska, since keeping it heated would be prohibitively expensive, but I imagine that in the backyard one would be a place to sleep in the summer when it's hot like today (around 80 degrees). I also wonder how good a yurt would be in SE Alaska where it's humid, often raining, and moss growing all over it.

In relation to buying land, I would never buy it unless I can see it with my own eyes during Spring when the snow melts, and during the rainy season. I don't want to find myself under water when I wake-up

Old 08-15-2010, 03:23 PM

they have a yurt company in Alaska that specializes in yurts for Alaskan weather. It's in Homer. when we come up we don't plan on bringing very much with us except money. We are minimalist. We plan on having $30,000 upon arrival and from what others say they made it with way less( quite a few only had around $10,000). I am not going to be discouraged from my family's life goal. When there is a will there is way!!!! I believe in Quantum Physics and the Cosmic Laws....thought projection will make me successful!

Old 08-15-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi123 View Post
they have a yurt company in Alaska that specializes in yurts for Alaskan weather. It's in Homer. when we come up we don't plan on bringing very much with us except money. We are minimalist. We plan on having $30,000 upon arrival and from what others say they made it with way less( quite a few only had around $10,000). I am not going to be discouraged from my family's life goal. When there is a will there is way!!!! I believe in Quantum Physics and the Cosmic Laws....thought projection will make me successful!
It's possible that there are yurts around Homer and vicinity since the weather in there is quite mild compared to the interior.

I am not trying to discourage you not any more than the dumb family who just moved to Alaska by riding a bicycle. It's your life

Old 08-15-2010, 03:37 PM

It's funny how people compare the lower 48 to Alaska and how they survived in the "harsh" weather down there. There is no comparing down there to Alaska. Like I said, make a visit this winter and see what you think of it. Homer is for the most part a warm region of Alaska in the winter, you have the ocean right there, everywhere else it's down right cold.

Perhaps a Frisen's Cabin is in order.

Friesen's Custom Cabins - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska