Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:04 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,024,608 times

Advertisements

Due to the quirks of the Alaska Airlines reservation system, looks like I'll have a 2 1/2 hour stopover in Barrow on Thurs, Dec 30 on my way back from Deadhorse. Rather than the usual quick stop to pick up passengers, I'll be flying in on the Combi at 5:58 pm, and out on AS 52 at 8:20 pm back to FAI -> ANC. Will any of our esteemed northern colleagues be around for a quick gathering? Will Pepe's be open?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
That sounds just great ! Since your going to be near the airport then just go to Vito's. Never mind Pepi's.

There are three restrauants in town that are not run by the Korean's

Vito's - Arctic Pizza & Pepi's.

By far the best of the three is hands down Vito's !!

Undisputed best pizza & Philly steak & cheese, and biggest least expensive burgers in Barrow.
Vitos = East Coast Pizza & food choices.

Just tell them Ralph sent you !!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:21 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Due to the quirks of the Alaska Airlines reservation system, looks like I'll have a 2 1/2 hour stopover in Barrow on Thurs, Dec 30 on my way back from Deadhorse. Rather than the usual quick stop to pick up passengers, I'll be flying in on the Combi at 5:58 pm, and out on AS 52 at 8:20 pm back to FAI -> ANC. Will any of our esteemed northern colleagues be around for a quick gathering? Will Pepe's be open?
Pepe's will be open. But you really want to go to Sam & Lee's.

You'll have to be back over at Alaska Air by about 8 PM, so you've got 2 hours to do things. I'll certainly take you to Pepe's if you want... but I won't be able to get anyone else to go with us (except maybe the newcomers to town). At Sam & Lee's we might be able to gather up a few other folks and have a really fun time.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Pepe's will be open. But you really want to go to Sam & Lee's.

You'll have to be back over at Alaska Air by about 8 PM, so you've got 2 hours to do things. I'll certainly take you to Pepe's if you want... but I won't be able to get anyone else to go with us (except maybe the newcomers to town). At Sam & Lee's we might be able to gather up a few other folks and have a really fun time.
I don't necessarily have my mind set on any one place over another (I wouldn't have any reason to in the first place). I'm more interested in using the time wisely, and getting a good meal on the way back to ANC. Sam & Lee's sounds good to me!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
That sounds just great ! Since your going to be near the airport then just go to Vito's. Never mind Pepi's.

Undisputed best pizza & Philly steak & cheese, and biggest least expensive burgers in Barrow.

I will certainly make it a point to also try these places in the future. Though I am curious...is there something wrong with the restaurants run by Koreans?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I don't necessarily have my mind set on any one place over another (I wouldn't have any reason to in the first place). I'm more interested in using the time wisely, and getting a good meal on the way back to ANC. Sam & Lee's sounds good to me!
Well, if you had enough time for a couple meals... say, why don't you just spend a night here and see the place! Cause I assure you that visiting Pepe's would indeed be fun. I was there Sunday night at 8:50 PM because they lock the doors at 9 PM to have dinner with a friend of mine, plus her daughter (one of the most drop dead beautiful women I've ever seen in my life), and Fran who owns Pepe's. My friend and I do that at least one Sunday, sometimes two, every month. The three of us gossip. This time the daughter, who visits her mother every Christmas, was here. I'm positive you'd get a kick out of joining us and meeting Fran. She's a riot.

But given only two hours, Sam & Lee's is the place we can introduce you to the most fun people.

Sam & Lee's also has one other advantage: it's one of those Korean places!

Old 12-13-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post

Have you ever actually been there? I mean, ahh... have you sat down there and had a meal?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,787,412 times
Funny you should ask that question;

Yes I have; and it is without any doubt the best place in town.

I did not insinuate something was 'wrong' with any of the other places. It was for convience sake I mentioned the CLOSEST place to eat.

and at much cheaper prices I do believe.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
why don't you just spend a night here and see the place! !
I'm going to make that a priority for the new year.
Quote:
Sam & Lee's also has one other advantage: it's one of those Korean places!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,976 times
Vito's is a takeout joint. If you want to "sit" down, you are sitting on one of two chairs in the entryway next to the door and enjoying an Arctic blast everytime someone opens the door. 3 steps gets you to any of the walls in the entryway. 2 steps if you are sitting in one of the two chairs. Might want to bring your own TV tray if you want to eat in the entryway...just sayin', ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska