Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,997 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know a way to get the pipes started again or do you just have to wait it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 01:45 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakola View Post
Does anyone know a way to get the pipes started again or do you just have to wait it out?
open faucet and slowly heat with hairdryer from closest to the faucet down the pipe to the frozen area.... if you can put some "heat tape" on the pipes or a 40wt light bulb plugged in an near the pipe should keep it from freezing again.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:02 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
Open your cupboard doors under the sink and any that are near where pipes may be running so that heat can get in there. Yes put a lightbulb on them or a space heater, but be careful you don't start a fire!

Old 01-15-2011, 02:20 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,549 times
With any method of getting heat to the pipes you need to watch for burst pipes due to the expansion of the ice inside the pipes. If this happens inside the walls you need to be aware of the leak because it'll need to have the pipe replaced. You might be able to hear water leaking or see the wet area. If so you'll need a plumber to replace the pipe inside the wall.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:00 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Like Richelles says, the biggest problem with frozen pipes is water damage when they are thawed. If you know where they are frozen you can watch the spot. If not, try to figure out approximately where this location is so that you can watch it.

Make sure you know how to turn off all the water to the house so that you can stop the water if you develop a bad leak.

Many thousands of dollars worth of damage is done every year by frozen pipes that start to leak.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:40 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
If the pipes are frozen, the first thing to do is to turn the water off at the source. For example, I turn the water off in my home at the utility room I have. Then immediately call a pumping/thawing company to thaw the pipes for you. They will figure if the pipes are frozen outside the house, or as the pipes enter you house, or just inside the house.

But again, all depends on how much frozen the pipes are. For light freeze-ups most people take care of the problem by opening faucets enough to allow for a few drops of water to drip, by opening cabinet doors, by cutting a hole on a wall and blowing warm air, and so forth.

For deep freeze-ups where the heating and also the water lines bulge or burst, all the water and heating pipes must be turned off. For this kind of problem sections of heaters and pipes much be replaced, and the rest thawed with special heaters (we call them pipe heaters at work). These electrical devices have two long electrical cords of different polarities, which in turn are terminated with a clamp each. One clamp is attached to one end of the pipe that's frozen, and the other clamp to the other end. When this heater is turned ON, the electrical current flowing from one clamp to the other heats and thaws the water in the pipe.

Deep freeze-ups cost could be expensive, since every inch of the pipes and heaters must be inspected for problems, or replaced if problems are found. It means that the pipes running along or through walls must be exposed (walls and insulation may have to be removed and replaced, and so floors by the joists).

During the winter months, take note or any cold spots on the walls or floors of your home, and then have the right person or technician inspecting your home and adding insulation or whatever is needed to avoid the cold spots you noticed during the winter.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks so much for all your replies and tips! I did contact a thawing company and they are here right now looking at the problem. So far, he seems fairly optimistic and he has worked on this house before. Nothing too important froze, but a filter did burst and there were a couple cracks that he said would be easy enough to repair. So, I'm hoping alls wells ends well type of deal, just costing me some money. Thanks again so much for all the tips!

Old 01-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for all your replies and tips! I did contact a thawing company and they are here right now looking at the problem. So far, he seems fairly optimistic and he has worked on this house before. Nothing too important froze, but a filter did burst and there were a couple cracks that he said would be easy enough to repair. So, I'm hoping alls wells ends well type of deal, just costing me some money. Thanks again so much for all the tips!
Unless you correct what is causing the pipes to freeze, the same will happen again. Just have the insulation problem corrected during the summer.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Unless you correct what is causing the pipes to freeze, the same will happen again. Just have the insulation problem corrected during the summer.
Thanks! The problem wasn't the insulation; I just made a stupid mistake and was careless. Usually, I watch the garage door until he hits the ground to make sure it's closed, but I didn't last night. I had my sister shut it and she didn't know that sometimes it won't shut all the way. So, the garage was open all night and that was the problem. But the guy came by and fixed everything. It was $583. Now, I have to work on the car, which isn't starting. :sigh:

Old 01-16-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks! The problem wasn't the insulation; I just made a stupid mistake and was careless. Usually, I watch the garage door until he hits the ground to make sure it's closed, but I didn't last night. I had my sister shut it and she didn't know that sometimes it won't shut all the way. So, the garage was open all night and that was the problem. But the guy came by and fixed everything. It was $583. Now, I have to work on the car, which isn't starting. :sigh:
Glad to know that the problem is solved. That bill was not too bad considering that the pipes could have frozen solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska