Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 PM

127 posts, read 613,719 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with winterizing a vacant house. I've heard that it is not good for a house to be subjected to below freezing temps. That it can cause walls to crack, etc. If you've had experience winterizing a house, please let me know if you feel it did any harm to it to go through a winter without heat.

We bought a house with the intention of demolishing it. The boiler in the house just broke and needs to be replaced. We aren't 100% certain we are going to demolish it - so need to preserve the house. Would like to avoid putting in a new boiler until we are certain we are not going to demolish it. The house is on Long Island.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 07:00 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
I have always used RV Anti-freeze to pour down the drains and in the toilet. Also, drain the water tank and water heater. Leave all facets open to.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:02 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa1127 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with winterizing a vacant house. I've heard that it is not good for a house to be subjected to below freezing temps. That it can cause walls to crack, etc. If you've had experience winterizing a house, please let me know if you feel it did any harm to it to go through a winter without heat.

We bought a house with the intention of demolishing it. The boiler in the house just broke and needs to be replaced. We aren't 100% certain we are going to demolish it - so need to preserve the house. Would like to avoid putting in a new boiler until we are certain we are not going to demolish it. The house is on Long Island.

TIA
Don't mess around...hire a plumber. It's worth it.

If it's on Long Island in Big Lake you may not want to demolish it. It may have some grandfather rights that you will lose if you demolish it. check it out. You might want to PM me.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:29 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Don't mess around...hire a plumber. It's worth it.
Very good advice if you don't know what you are doing.

Like Marty said, you may not want to distroy the place until you find out if there is a chance you can't rebuild there due to restrictions that have been enacted after the place was built.

Oh, and if the place has already been frozen since winter set in, it will be too late for the plumber anyway, it will aready be damaged as it will get, and the piping will have been split open aready.....

Old 11-30-2008, 09:36 PM

I just wanted to hear from as many people as possible whether they felt leaving a house with out heat for a winter would do it any harm - assuming the pipes were properly winterized - drained and antifreezed. Our house is brick with a basement. If I limited myself to NY I would surely not get many replies. In fact - not one person so far.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 PM

If the place is in NY, drained and antifreezed proper you should be fine. I have always used a lot extra anti-freeze than really needed, just to be safe. If it's an old place and has the old type water pipes (cast ?) then you will for sure be ok.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:56 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa1127 View Post
I just wanted to hear from as many people as possible whether they felt leaving a house with out heat for a winter would do it any harm - assuming the pipes were properly winterized - drained and antifreezed. Our house is brick with a basement. If I limited myself to NY I would surely not get many replies. In fact - not one person so far.
Well there is a whole lot of other issues that you may encounter without heat.

If there is sheetrock, it tends to gather moisture and swell up and can be useless except for stripping out and replacing.

The paint can get moisture in it also and cause the paint to bubble up and crack, or in some cases and just slide down the wall a bit.

The vinyl flooring can contract in the cold and cause cracking and/or will leave the floor in "rolling" lumps when it warms back up.

Mold may get started in the spring and cause some issues too....

The list goes on, but if it is frozen already, not much you can do til spring now, so I wouldn't lose any sleep about it... But good luck anyway.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

If there is sheetrock, it tends to gather moisture and swell up and can be useless except for stripping out and replacing.

The paint can get moisture in it also and cause the paint to bubble up and crack, or in some cases and just slide down the wall a bit.

The vinyl flooring can contract in the cold and cause cracking and/or will leave the floor in "rolling" lumps when it warms back up.

The list goes on, but if it is frozen already, not much you can do til spring now, so I wouldn't lose any sleep about it... But good luck anyway.
Good points, where I always did this was in a log cabin, logs, just logs. Didn't have to worry about those things.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

Lord have mercy! It does sound as though winterizing could cause many future problems. When my husband heard a plumber tell him today that there could be problems even in a properly winterized hosue (not so graphically as above tho) and also that we should really to be extra safe add rv antifreeze to the drinking water pipes . . . well he's about ready to pay $4000 for cheap new boiler. I am wondering though if the fact that we're in Long Island and we really rarely have more than a few days in teens, if the damage could be so extensive to walls, floors, etc.

Thanks for all the info!

Last edited by Teresa1127; 12-01-2008 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: info added

Old 12-01-2008, 05:57 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
I thought you were on Long Island in Big Lake Alaska.

NY is likely a different matter. But I wouldn't know. It's best to use local knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska