Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:15 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times

Advertisements

anyone have any experience with these folks. they seem highly good at what they do, but getting my washer fixed after the power surge turned into a nightmare of disorganization.....!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
anyone have any experience with these folks. they seem highly good at what they do, but getting my washer fixed after the power surge turned into a nightmare of disorganization.....!
What happened to your washer? The power surged damaged the electronic board?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What happened to your washer? The power surged damaged the electronic board?
That is the working theory at this point. After Christmas the tech came out on New Years day evening and tried everything short of that over 2 hours.

They "ordered" the part said it came in Tuesday this week however it actually did not. The tech from yesterday did not talk to whomever and now they said "we dropped the ball" which is fine want to make it right.....tenant moved in and so far they are understanding.

Its a front load GE Profile 18 months old. Only thing left is the motherboard they say.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:59 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
Well, it's good they admitted their error. I much prefer to deal with an honest company. Sorry about your washer, never thought you'd have to use a surge protector on something like that.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:03 PM

I guess the options are whole house surge protector or just use one on the washer/dryer....will be doing that probably. silicone intelligence is sensitive I guess

Old 01-08-2011, 03:30 PM

In the case you don't have a home surge suppressor at the main circuit-braker box, good quality individual surge protectors work fine, but in the long run these add to the total cost. For example, I have three APC UPCs, one at each computer in my network at home. Then the TV, receiver, and surround system use a Panamax surge protector, the boiler uses a smaller and cheaper surge protector, the refrigerator uses another, the washer, and the circulating pump for cold water. All of these put together cost a lot more than a home surge suppressor

In relation to the washer, I bought an extended warranty for it at Home Depot. It's just too expensive not to have one, since the control board alone costs around $450.00, and that's the first thing that fries during a surge. By the way, the best appliance technician I have ever seen is one of my coworkers (in Fairbanks). Nobody in this town can troubleshoot a problem as fast as he does. For years he took care of all of the washers and dryers at UAF, plus taking care of a couple of State and local commercial washer/dryer contracts in town, all while working full time at UAF

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-08-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Yes will consider a home surge protection. In the meantime have filed for a reimburse from MEA....not counting on that though. If they feel that surge protectors are needed for a washing machine then they should advertise that. Will press the case and see what happens. To bad your guy is in Fairbanks. Tenant is cool. Monday should be the day.........we shall see. What a claustro.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Yes will consider a home surge protection. In the meantime have filed for a reimburse from MEA....not counting on that though. If they feel that surge protectors are needed for a washing machine then they should advertise that. Will press the case and see what happens. To bad your guy is in Fairbanks. Tenant is cool. Monday should be the day.........we shall see. What a claustro.
New washers and dryers aren't what the used to be. Now the the control panel has a digital display, and a touch-pad for turning things on/off This control panel is the most expensive item in the whole machine, and the most delicate in relation to power surges.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:28 PM

they have quoted me $170. for the part.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
they have quoted me $170. for the part.
That's not bad. I have a Maytag with all the bells and whistles, and the control panel costs around $450.00 That's why I got an extended warranty for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska