Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 AM

38 posts, read 170,839 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have never been to Alaska, so unfortunately i know NOTHING of it! I have always been super curious how many Russians there are or if Russian culture has more influence there than in other US states? Are there many Mongolian looking people?

Thanks so much for input, Id love to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,647 times
In 2007: White Americans made up 68.5% of Alaska's population. African Americans made up 3.8% of Alaska's population. American Indians and Alaska natives made up 13.4% of Alaska's population; they are the largest minority group.

Asian Americans
made up 4.6% of Alaska's population. Pacific Islanders made up 0.5% of the state's population. Individuals from some other race made up 1.9% of Alaska's population while individuals from two or more races made up 7.2% of the state's population. Hispanics and Latinos made up 5.5% of Alaska's population

According to the 2005-2007 American Community Survey, 84.7% of people over the age of five speak only English at home. About 3.5% speak the Spanish language at home. About 2.2% speak an Indo-European language other than Spanish at home and about 4.3% speak an Asian language at home. And about 5.3% speak other languages at home.

Conclusion: Not too many russians, sorry mate.

But atleast there are plenty of mongolian looking folks =) If this helped rep me up.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerricaAnna View Post
Hi,

I have never been to Alaska, so unfortunately i know NOTHING of it! I have always been super curious how many Russians there are or if Russian culture has more influence there than in other US states? Are there many Mongolian looking people?

Thanks so much for input, Id love to know.
There are virtually no Russians left who are descendants from the period of Russian America (1742-1867). They were made totally unwelcome by the United States after the transition to American rule, and of the several hundred that were in Alaska at the time of the transfer only a dozen or so stayed.

On the other hand there were many hundreds of mixed race Native-Russians who did not leave, and while their legacy has been diluted to the point of being virtually non-existant, there are some very visible remains. The Russian names of many Aleutiiq and Unagan people is the most obvious, but the very existence of the Russian Orthodox church in several parts of Alaska is equally rooted in Russian America.

In the past several decades there have been groups of Russians (known as the Old Believers) that have migrated into Alaska too.

Russian culture affects Alaska almost only by the existence of the new immigrants and from the Russian Orthodox church.

As another response has pointed out, there are many many (virtually all Alaska Native people, for example) Alaskans that have Mongolian ancestry and looks. In addition there are also a pretty fair number of Korean people who have settled in Alaska, and they are also descended from Mongols. It appears that perhaps Athabaskan people are very distantly related to Mongols, and Tlingit, Haida and Eskimo people are relatively closely related to Mongols.

Oddly, note that the Mongols extended their "influence" all the way into Europe and it is likely that some Hungarian or perhaps Germanic people are just as closely related to Mongols as are Eskimos...

Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 AM

38 posts, read 170,839 times
very cool! very helpful! thanks

Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 AM

854 posts, read 1,977,411 times
damn you, floyd, and your accurate information!

Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
In 2007: White Americans made up 68.5% of Alaska's population. African Americans made up 3.8% of Alaska's population. American Indians and Alaska natives made up 13.4% of Alaska's population; they are the largest minority group.

Asian Americans
made up 4.6% of Alaska's population. Pacific Islanders made up 0.5% of the state's population. Individuals from some other race made up 1.9% of Alaska's population while individuals from two or more races made up 7.2% of the state's population. Hispanics and Latinos made up 5.5% of Alaska's population

According to the 2005-2007 American Community Survey, 84.7% of people over the age of five speak only English at home. About 3.5% speak the Spanish language at home. About 2.2% speak an Indo-European language other than Spanish at home and about 4.3% speak an Asian language at home. And about 5.3% speak other languages at home.

Conclusion: Not too many russians, sorry mate.

But atleast there are plenty of mongolian looking folks =) If this helped rep me up.
I know the Russian language is pretty famous in Alaskan schools

Old 02-22-2011, 04:30 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Not about Western Alaska: There is a Russian population on the Kenai Peninsula, and another at Delta Junction, but I don't know the numbers. The one in Delta Junction, as far as I can tell, was the result of immigration to that area from Russia, and believe that Ted Stevens was involved in the process. The one on the Kenai Peninsula I know it exists (I know a family from there), I have no idea of.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-22-2011 at 04:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 06:07 PM

854 posts, read 1,977,411 times
there are several villages of old believers on the kenai peninsula, and one on afognak island as well. maybe there are more that i'm not aware of?

Old 02-22-2011, 06:13 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times
I think a lot of the "Russians" in the Delta area are actually from other former Soviet countries, but yeah, there's a ton of Slavic people around.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:41 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
I think the original "Russian" family in Delta was from the Ukraine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska