Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:20 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times

Advertisements

bother to check the 'Alaskan Information Links?' Just wondering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 AM

67 posts, read 99,420 times
Why, I like the Alaska that I dreamed up in my head! Any Snow Leopards around? lol

Old 03-07-2011, 12:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,847,561 times
If I'm one of "those", then the answer is yes.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:19 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
If I'm one of "those", then the answer is yes.
I was curious because a friend moved to KY and they had a link of info that was of great help to him.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Yeah, the Alaskan Information Links thread is great. I use those links, mostly the ones for jobs, quite often. I am not making my move to Alaska until I finish my degree here (2 or 3 years, realistically), but I am always keeping an eye on the job situation. Right now, it looks really promising, especially compared to the lower 48. The three states that I most wanted to move to down there (Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine) are all WAY tighter on jobs - especially forest resources jobs - than Alaska is.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:03 PM

104 posts, read 180,196 times
I have checked the job links and the links for moving. The car transport link I wished I hadn't done as I now get several emails a day with quotes for the truck I wanted to find out how much to have it shipped to alaska. As for the job links in my field of work they don't apply really but I have found other resources to obtain work in alaska.

I think anyone looking to make the move to alaska should read all they can on this forum and the links provided in the alaska information link thread. I grew up in south central but that was 25 years ago so much has changed, but I still feel alaska would be the spot for me I still miss the people after 25 years.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:30 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,877,229 times
I read everything in these postings, internet searches and ... I am only contemplating the move right now but do not think it is an easy thing to do. I will certainly have a huge nest egg... a job and a place to live before I make the move. I love you guys and your great sense of humor... and I do love brutally honest and as long as I can give it back once in a while ... we're good to go

Old 03-08-2011, 11:49 PM

355 posts, read 508,691 times
I have been looking to move to Alaska for about a year now and have read many of the links. I have a few friends in College from all over Alaska and they have many many great things to say about it and great advice to give! it all ways helps to get an insiders view than to just read the info sites... IMO anyway

Old 03-08-2011, 11:53 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Yeah, the Alaskan Information Links thread is great. I use those links, mostly the ones for jobs, quite often. I am not making my move to Alaska until I finish my degree here (2 or 3 years, realistically), but I am always keeping an eye on the job situation. Right now, it looks really promising, especially compared to the lower 48. The three states that I most wanted to move to down there (Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine) are all WAY tighter on jobs - especially forest resources jobs - than Alaska is.
ND has the lowest unemployment rate in the nation (around 3%).

Old 03-09-2011, 12:06 AM

Actually, I have considered North Dakota, but I don't believe that it is somewhere I would want to live. The topography there is the main issue; I have lived in the mountains for nearly five years now and couldn't imagine living somewhere as flat as ND. It's a great state for jobs, yes, and I could see how living there would be great - tight knit communities and all - but it's not what I would prefer. In my field, Alaska has a much higher number of jobs than most states in the lower 48. Most professors I have talked to said that moving out West would be the best way to find a job, and when I mention I'm thinking about Alaska, they usually react very positively.

So I'm going to take a seasonal job in the summer of 2012 and see what I think about Alaska, and I will still be in school. Then, I can arrange to come spend some time up there in the winter to see if I really would like it as much as I think I would. It's going to be tough to figure out the logistics of that, but I'll make it work. I love winter, but I am aware that there is a small chance that I wouldn't hold up to the conditions in Alaska. The only way to find out, as far as I can tell, is to come and actually experience it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska