Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
That you differentiate and point out the "white" and "native" of technology is unfortunate, and does not equate with culture. One would think the internet and use of technology would be a prime example of equality.
Who are you responding to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 AM

305 posts, read 683,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
...I also think it's important to remember that "technology" isn't something Whites came up with and Natives didn't. Any tool humans use to solve problems is technology. Alaska Natives have come up with many superb technologies for northern life.
I commented on this last of your post, as it seemed irrelevant to the discussion. I'd be interested in your correlation between technology's effect on cultures and "who" came up with what.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 AM

189 posts, read 327,568 times
Interesting how this thread has turned, it wasn't about who came up with technology but the complaint that it strips cultures of their heritage. In reference to what the discussions I have had with some friends I have heard over and over that technology has taken away traditions, and they are correct it has, there is no place now in people's lives for storytelling, very few youth know their family history and that is spread out through all cultures. I think by nit picking the term technology apart the point is missed, yes technology is any tool that betters or changes lives, and in that broad of a term we have had "technology" since the first man made a tool. I believe it's obvious though that in this particular discussion technology is in reference to the recent tools that provide the instant gratification we as humans are becoming reliant on, specifically computers,televisions, cell phones, mp3 players, and so on. As I stated they aren't going away and should be utilized to help keep cultures alive.
I don't believe the pointing out of "white" and "native" technology was in any ways a means to to put either down, but instead to make it clear that no people has the upper hand in creating technology in Frostnip's view, both have contributed.
However since you stated "equality" with the internet, tell me what is equal with the internet? Maybe 2 or 3 houses have internet access in our village, not counting teacher housing. More people worldwide are without internet access then have it, how is it equal if there isn't equal opportunity for everyone to use it?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 AM

11 posts, read 25,120 times
A more honest title for this thread would have been "Culture and the loss of identity"

We can do our best to avoid looking at the elephant in the room, but momofmany, I don't think that's what is best.

First off, thank you for being brave and strong enough to be a part of bush Alaska life. It's tough, I've had a few brushes with it and know it is different from what many of the Alaskans posting on here know. Urban versus rural. More than 2/3 of Alaska population is classed as urban. You are getting to know it better every day, and I hope I am not untoward in saying that you now live in a different world. A beautiful connected world, but one that is fractured, and has been for some while. You are seeing how and why now. The path for the future is hard to see sometimes but plenty of caring people are trying to walk it.

Be strong, do your best to take care of those around you. Don't get caught up in silly hurtful town stuff. You are among a strong beautiful culture. Even with faults, not much different than where you came from?

Be safe. All the best to you and your family.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmany926 View Post
I have heard over and over that technology has taken away traditions, and they are correct it has, there is no place now in people's lives for storytelling, very few youth know their family history and that is spread out through all cultures.
The fact that it is trans-cultural is significant.
Quote:
technology is any tool that betters or changes lives, and in that broad of a term we have had "technology" since the first man made a tool.
Specifically "technology" is an application of science to non-science. That is, science used in every day life, be that commercial or personal or whatever.
Quote:
I believe it's obvious though that in this particular discussion technology is in reference to the recent tools that provide the instant gratification we as humans are becoming reliant on, specifically computers,televisions, cell phones, mp3 players, and so on.
Every technology on that list has to do specifically with communications!

A distant second for the same effect are transportation technologies. Then come all the others, such as anything that otherwise makes industrial production easier or quicker, because those then in turn provide the tools that make life easier by reducing work load and/or the amount of time needed to work just to provide basic needs such as food and shelter.

Quote:
As I stated they aren't going away and should be utilized to help keep cultures alive.
Absolutely true. And the same effect is absolutely true for all cultures, but the effects vary in intensity. The most populous and/or prosperous cultures are affected the least. An example would be how the Lower-48, since the start of WWII, has been homogenized. The thick regional accents are gone, as are many of the quaint characteristics of regions. Generally that has been beneficial, but not in all ways. But it has virtually eliminated many of the smallest minority cultures in the US, and is seriously erroding the larger minority cultures.
Quote:
I don't believe the pointing out of "white" and "native" technology was in any ways a means to to put either down, but instead to make it clear that no people has the upper hand in creating technology in Frostnip's view, both have contributed.
What was said was very appropriate, as is a discussion of the significance. A lot of people (none that have contributed to this discussion though) apparently believe that Native's have lost culture because they incorrectly believe that Natives have not been a participant in the creation and use of technologies. Some even think Natives shouldn't be allowed to use modern technology for anything that relates to a traditional Native activity! Which is a bit ridiculous.

One major reason modern technology is affecting Alaska Native cultures is that all of the many Alaska Native cultures (and probably all Arctic cultures) have traditionally always been very technology oriented. They clearly have always adopted new technologies very quickly to gain the benefit of science in daily life.

Technology can, should, and is used to both increase the prosperity of our many cultures, including minority cultures, and to help prevent the loss of the many beneficial characteristics of minority cultures.

I could go on an on about how the Whaling Culture here on the North Slope is important... and about how modern technologies such as better weather forecasting by Super Computers, GPS navigation, better nylon ropes, and better outboard engines and VHF radios have all helped maintain that culture as the center of life here in Barrow. We also have the Inupiat Heritage Center, which is specifically intended to use technology to enhance Inupiat culture though better communications.

Quote:
However since you stated "equality" with the internet, tell me what is equal with the internet? Maybe 2 or 3 houses have internet access in our village, not counting teacher housing. More people worldwide are without internet access then have it, how is it equal if there isn't equal opportunity for everyone to use it?
Way back in the 1980's, when probably not anyone here that did not work in the communications industry had ever heard of this thing called The Internet, we were vigorously arguing that it had to be made ubiquitous, just like the concept of "Universal Service" that had been applied to the telephone.

To simply describe that, it is to everyone's benefit if everyone has access, and that includes subsidizing the extremely high cost of putting The Internet into every home in bush Alaska at the expense of an additional charge on every connection in New York City and Los Angeles.

To the degree that we have The Internet... and Alaska has a higher per capita access rate than any other state, and is second in per home access, so we are not exactly lagging... we can thank the late Senator Ted Stevens. Everyone made fun of the old man that couldn't find the words "pipe" or "highway" to describe it the same way everyone else did, and instead said essentially the same thing using the term "tubes". But Ted Stevens was the one who re-wrote the Communications Act in 1996, when most people still didn't have a clue of what it was all about. And he followed up on a huge amount of work done by Al Gore, the other person who over the years did more to enable Internet technology than any other politician.

People need to review history and determine how this happened in order to make sure we continue in the same direction. A missed step that puts us behind for a decade or two would be a disaster.

Why? Note above about how these technologies smooth out the rough edges and enable the most populous and prosperous, and then realize that China is already one of those, and rapidly closing on real prosperity too. The next trick for technology won't be to preserve tradition in small Alaska villages, but in major US cities!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceasugly View Post
A more honest title for this thread would have been "Culture and the loss of identity"
Eleanor Wirts, who lives in Fairbanks, wrote a master's thesis titled, "Changes in Traditional Gender Roles Among Alaska Natives: Their Effects on Sense of Purpose, Direction, and Identity, and Family and Community Stature".

Apparently it is not available on the Internet, but I'm sure that anyone who really wants an education on this topic could do a search on Eleanor's name to get an email address, and she would almost certainly be willing to send a copy to anyone who asks.

It not only hits this topic dead on, it is one of the best researched and most knowledgeable documents on this topic.
Quote:
We can do our best to avoid looking at the elephant in the room, but momofmany, I don't think that's what is best.

First off, thank you for being brave and strong enough to be a part of bush Alaska life. It's tough, I've had a few brushes with it and know it is different from what many of the Alaskans posting on here know. Urban versus rural. More than 2/3 of Alaska population is classed as urban. You are getting to know it better every day, and I hope I am not untoward in saying that you now live in a different world. A beautiful connected world, but one that is fractured, and has been for some while. You are seeing how and why now. The path for the future is hard to see sometimes but plenty of caring people are trying to walk it.

Be strong, do your best to take care of those around you. Don't get caught up in silly hurtful town stuff. You are among a strong beautiful culture. Even with faults, not much different than where you came from?

I'm still trying to figure out what that is supposed to mean...

Old 04-24-2011, 06:57 AM

189 posts, read 327,568 times
Quote:
You are probably correct in the suggestion for a better title.

Quote:
I would love to hear what your take on the elephant is? Is it the loss of their identity, the path of destruction many of them are on? Is it the invasion of their homelands, the removal of their freedoms in many ways? Will they ever truly recover, Native Americans still struggle with the same issues and have had longer to recover then Alaskan Natives.

I know this path all to well myself, have watched my mother's half of the family succumb to it too many times. I'm not saying that the lack of my family's connection to our heritage is the cause of their alcoholism and drug abuse, as well as the issues of poverty, spousal and child abuse. I just know that I always wondered growing up if that was what it meant to be Native American, if that was what it was. I wasn't raised with my mother's family, was raised with my father and his wife, and all I knew of my heritage was that "Indians" were lazy drunks, and I wasn't allowed to be near them. Growing up with that mentality does deep and lasting damage to a persons self-esteem.
It is possible though to break the cycle, I don't drink, do drugs, have a loving husband who would never lay a hand on me, and 7 beautiful children who I could never think of harming.

It can be done but not by others, they have to do it themselves in my opinion, others can offer support, words of advise and encouragement, but positive change comes from within.

Quote:
I don't think I should be thanked for living in the bush, it is our privilege to share our lives with the people here.
You are correct in that it is a much more connected world here, and a much different world. Yes and no as to it not being much different then where I came from, the size of the village in proportion to the number of issues is much greater, however there are issues, no matter where you choose to call home.
I have met many Natives who are working hard trying to help their culture survive and I pray that they succeed it is a beautiful and strong one!

Quote:

We do our best not to get caught up in the village politics, but for teachers that is sometimes quite difficult to do. It is a beautiful culture, and a loving, kind, and extremely generous people, all the more reasons it hurts to see the pain they are in. Thank you for the good wishes, and the same to you and your family.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:50 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
How about turning the issue of loss of identity and cultural knowledge around... Use the internet to PRESERVE it. If someone came up with a better "snow machine" or way to build a better house in the bush - why not endorse it? It doesn't mean the cultural "beliefs" need to change. Being Jewish we still follow traditions and cultures that were handed down centuries ago. Some of them were for hygenic reasons that are no longer neccessary, but are still followed. For example, no meat and dairy together.

I now this not the greatest example for Native Americans, but it is the only one I have been exposed to.

In Florida Native American Culture (maybe others?), the structure or conveyance of where someone dies must be "burned" or "destroyed". Today, that would mean that the Police Car or Ambulance would have to be burned/destroyed. They actually did this until it was apparent it was very expensive to do. I have been told, in the "old" days when Floyd was growing up, it typically meant a teepee or horse drawn carriage was burned and then rebuilt. Very symbolic and I can appreciate why this was done. The tradition is still intact, however, a little different. Now, they sell it and buy another one.

Floyd made some really good points as well -

Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 AM

305 posts, read 683,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmany926 View Post
... tell me what is equal with the internet? Maybe 2 or 3 houses have internet access in our village, not counting teacher housing. More people worldwide are without internet access then have it, how is it equal if there isn't equal opportunity for everyone to use it?
Merely in its relation to anonymity; there is no bias or prejudice. It affords the benefit and opportunity equally to those who would take advantage of it.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
I commented on this last of your post, as it seemed irrelevant to the discussion. I'd be interested in your correlation between technology's effect on cultures and "who" came up with what.
I grew up with this narrative where my people apparently accomplished nothing until some Euros showed up and gifted them with civilization, and I think that can make a person feel very small and lacking in agency, and kinda puts the idea in one's head that you have to fully assimilate to the majority culture if you want to be anyone. I think it's important for kids from minority cultures to learn about the achievements of their ancestors and what their people are achieving nowadays, too, and Alaska Natives sure have plenty to be proud of in that department. That why I'll happily split that hair on "technology" when it comes up in conversation, and I do think it's relevant to a discussion about how technology and (well put, twiceasugly) in loss of identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska