Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 AM

2,048 posts, read 3,809,562 times

Advertisements

Associated Press...Published: Thursday, March 15, 2012

While bringing a gun to a bear fight may seem like a solid way to win, experts say the gun largely provides a false sense of security -- and would be similar to trying to shoot, and stop, a small car careening toward you at speeds of up to 35 mph.

It's not that firearms don't work, but many people can't load or aim them quickly enough in the panicky moments of a bear attack, according to a recent study by bear researchers at Utah's Brigham Young University.

"It's more about how you carry yourself than whether you carry a gun," said wildlife biologist Tom S. Smith, the study's lead author.

The report analyzed 269 armed human-bear encounters in Alaska between 1883 and 2009, and found that the use of guns made no statistical difference in the outcomes, and many people were mauled or killed anyway -- 151 human injuries and 172 bear fatalities.

Other experts, however, question the findings, citing limited data given the thousands of human-bear encounters and noting that guns can be just as effective as pepper spray, and that each incident presents a different scenario.

"The bottom line of his research is correct -- guns are not a crutch, but we do have a problem with his limited data," said Larry Van Daele, an Alaska state biologist on Kodiak Island.

Smith's report, published online in the Journal of Wildlife Management and set to appear in print in July, found that when guns were fired, they were effective at dissuading or killing a bear about 80 percent of the time in the cases studied, but at a cost. In nearly half those encounters, the people using guns or their companions were injured or attacked anyway, with 12 percent left fatally mauled.

Researchers found people trying to use guns to defend themselves against an advancing bear often couldn't fire them effectively in an instant of panic -- 27 percent had no time to fire, and 21 percent were hesitant to discharge their weapons.

In addition, a jammed gun, a missed shot, a safety mechanism that couldn't be unlocked in time or a bear too close to shoot -- among other problems -- kept guns from being effective in some cases, the study found.

"If anything, our findings raise a cautionary flag about what we should do for protection in bear country," Smith said. "If we know we're not experienced with a firearm, don't even go there. It's probably not going to be any help at all. A charging animal is like a small car running at you. The odds are not good."

Smith's finding that a fifth of people carrying guns can't bring themselves to use it in a bear encounter is no surprise, he said.

Many people don't want the stigma of killing a bear, Smith noted, while others just don't want the hassle of having to skin it and file a report with wildlife officials, a required procedure in Alaska. Reporting requirements vary in other states where bears are present.

The ease of using pepper spray, it turns out, is more effective compared to the mechanical shortcomings of a gun and the hesitancy of some people to use lethal force, Smith said.

In an earlier study, Smith found that pepper spray worked for all but three of 156 people in 71 conflicts with bears.

Pepper spray also has a lasting advantage, Smith said.

"When you spray a bear, you are powerfully conditioning that animal to stay away from people," he said.

Another bear expert, however, said pepper spray and guns can be equally effective in trained hands, depending on the situation.

"I certainly don't think we should try to pit one tool against the other," said bear expert John Hechtel, a former Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist. "You get people arguing about the wrong things."

Experts say prevention is the best way to avoid deadly encounters, including hiking in a group, making noise and avoiding areas of poor visibility.

"One bear attack can ruin your whole day," Smith said.

When someone does encounter a bear, Smith says people should get deterrents ready but "let the bear work through the situation" before reacting to give the animal a chance to retreat.

"Talking in a calm voice, not moving when the bear's coming toward you, giving the bear a chance to think things over and realize you're not threatening," Hechtel said. "A lot of times that will resolve the situation."

Other experts largely agreed with Smith's message.

"A gun is a tool, but so is your brain," said John Shivik of the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources.

Using a gun should never been "Plan A," he said. "What it comes down to is that bears, cougars and wolves are predators, and we need to treat them with respect."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:51 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,422 times
In my opinion it depends on your experience both handling guns and being in the wilderness. A gun is useless if you have no experience using it. And if you don't have experience being around bears, you'll either fail to identify a dangerous situation quickly enough or you will use the gun to cause a situation in which an attack wasn't coming to end up in an attack.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
Natural selection?

I'd rather try to save my or someones else butt using a gun than just letting nature take it's course.
Do I think it is a shield or a guarantee that we/I will come out of it unharmed. Nope.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,523 times
the best defense against a bear is to not surprise one or **** one off to start with....

Old 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,563 times
Generally the final outcome all depends on what the bear wants to do...gun or no gun.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,996 times
I generally agree with the OP. I carry a gun or pepper spray. I carry the gun only as a last resort and only expect to use it if I'm actually in physical contact with a bear...assuming I'm not incapacitated immediately.

Pepper spray is to hopefully keep a bear away. I really wonder how often a bear in full charge has been stopped by pepper spray. I doubt that a brown bear in full charge would stop for pepper spray. A gun often will not stop them either.

Pepper spray can be used when a bear is just too close, or in a bluff charge. A gun shouldn't be used unless there is absolutely no other alternative to keep the bear from eating you.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,567,607 times
Well the best defense for a charging bear is a hiking partner with really heavy hiking boots you can outrun.

Otherwise I prefer my 12 gauge with slug, double 00 Buckshot, slug in a six shot tube. Only had to use it once in self defense and it worked very well. Have used pepper spray, but a charging bear will knock you into next week before that makes a differance. In the bear is just courious, then a shot of the pepper spray can be pretty effective, but so is a warning shot over the bears head in most cases.

A charging bear can cover 40 feet faster than you can ever imagine, the inertia of a charging bear is a lot more than a can of bear spray can inflict. A large caliber slug may not stop him in his tracks, but it can certainly change his trajectory! I carry a .44 mag, but that is more for the noise factor than stopping a brae dead in its tracks, although it will kill a charging bear, it may not be as immediate as you might wish!

But by far the best defense is being aware of bears in the area and letting them know you're in the area as well! Some supprises aren't always that much fun!

Last edited by starlite9; 03-15-2012 at 02:56 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 03:44 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,519,308 times
It does not surprise me that a bear 40 feet away will get you before you can shoot it dead with a gun. A person with a knife will cut you before you can shoot them dead in 21 feet plus the lenghth of the knife... And that is if you are trained to use a gun and you are ready to use it. Avoiding the confrontation is obviously the best action to take, but I would rather take my chances with a gun than without.

In the end you may kill the bear but that is small consolation to your friends and family.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Pepper spray isn't so good if the wind is blowing the wrong way...

Old 03-15-2012, 06:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,118 times
Default An old timer National.......

.....Park Ranger told me that the way you can recognize bear scat is that it smells like pepper and has little bells in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska