Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 01:53 PM

23 posts, read 32,943 times

Advertisements

Hello. I live in the DC area, and a part of me really wants to move to Alaska. I've been twice in my life so far. Both times were in early winter. Once was for a job interview, which I didn't end up getting unfortunately. I'm still searching for jobs in my field there. I can't get over the scenery! I also felt very free there. I've heard though that Alaska can be a depressing place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
The only thing depressing about living in Alaska is that there is no other place in the world as beautiful ! It's as good as it gets !

Old 01-22-2019, 03:53 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel360 View Post
Hello. I live in the DC area, and a part of me really wants to move to Alaska. I've been twice in my life so far. Both times were in early winter. Once was for a job interview, which I didn't end up getting unfortunately. I'm still searching for jobs in my field there. I can't get over the scenery! I also felt very free there. I've heard though that Alaska can be a depressing place to live.
There's this romantic view of Alaska many people have who have never lived here. Understandable if you are looking at scenery. Every single place on the planet has it's downside. No different here. Social ills can be severe here and upsetting to watch. That sort of reality isn't in brochures, magazine articles, or on websites. Freedom comes from within. A place won't do all of that for you. It seems freeing to live in an isolated place on your own terms. It is also backbreakingly hard work every single day to maintain yourself.

Yes there are aspects of AK that can be depressing. Winters are long, cold, unrelenting, and dark depending on where you live in. Goods and services may not even be available or if they are, so distressingly expensive money can be tight a lot of the time. If you are someone who depends on entertainment and diverse social life you may not find it. Scenery can be inspiring but not if you can't see it or get to it. You may be too far from people you've spent your life with. So many people give it a try, last a year or so, then leave because they just don't have the connections with family or friends down south. Distance means money, so if they don't plan ahead they end up stuck in a place they resent. Many people simply get bored...can't be out having grand adventures every minute.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:40 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,006,642 times
Probably what bothered me the most was lack of roads. After a few weekend drives there was nowhere left go for an afternoon drive.

Want to fly stateside for a spur of the moment trip or a family emergency? Can be very hard to do and quite expensive. A co-worker once had a family emergency during the winter and was not able to get 2 airline tickets out of Alaska to anywhere. Ended up having to drive 3.000 miles.

The winter darkness was a problem for me. However the extra light during the summer was awesome.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:30 PM

53 posts, read 48,217 times
Hi, I grew up in Alexandria VA and have since lived in MN, AK, and CO. If you live around Anchorage, you will have most of the major amenities that are you are used to having if that matters to you. And it might, even if you don't think so now. Winters are long and dark and that takes some time to adjust to but usually less damp. I feel like I used to feel colder at the end of the day in DC than I did in AK. That damp just settles in your bones. It is really far from anything and yep, there are not a lot of roads so if you like road trips, it can be frustrating. It is also much more expensive...well maybe not home prices for you, but everything else will be.

It is beautiful. It is vast. I miss the northern lights. Many days I am tempted to come back but you have to understand that to accept and love Alaska also means letting go of some of the conveniences that you find normal now.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:31 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Amazon Prime is worthless.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:49 AM

681 posts, read 1,207,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Amazon Prime is worthless.
Really?? Over the past 3 years I have bought and shipped 4 sets of snow tires with Amazon Prime. All were sent Second-Day Air......for FREE! My Prime account has been paid for several times over.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:11 AM

284 posts, read 405,340 times
I live on an island with 14 miles of road. There are no big box stores. There is a McD's and a small Subway for fast food. It rains tons. There are 2 traffic lights. And the wife and I love every minute of our lives here. I get to look out over the ocean every day. I have mountains looking out another window. I have great neighbors. Lots of great fishing and hunting and berry picking. There is no downside for us. Its what you want and make out of life, not what you might miss in my opinion. Folks that give you the downside of living here--ask them if they want to leave. Bet you won't get any that do. You will either love it or hate it here. We left for a bit and worked in several states and couldn't wait to get back--can't stand the lower 48. Dirty, noisy, congested traffic, panhandlers everywhere, all the crazy crap that goes on down there, so unfriendly, can't trust a soul. I can't even imagine actually living in D.C. Was there in like 1996 for a few days to see the sights--it was a nasty, dirty place then; can't imagine its changed much.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:12 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,668,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Probably what bothered me the most was lack of roads. After a few weekend drives there was nowhere left go for an afternoon drive.
This is what I probably like most about Alaska. Plenty of other ways to get around the state and they usually come with some adventure.

Darkness is what I hate most. I definitely suffer from SAD and taking the usual steps (get outside for a bit every day, keep busy, etc.) helps but doesn't eliminate it. However, we have turned the corner and the lengthening days are already noticeable.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:59 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Really?? Over the past 3 years I have bought and shipped 4 sets of snow tires with Amazon Prime. All were sent Second-Day Air......for FREE! My Prime account has been paid for several times over.
Uh yes, really.

That's the fastest prime shipping option for my Palmer address.

Shipping to my home in South Carolina, I get 1 day and 2 day options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska