Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:23 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I've been up here for over ten years now, and my general impression is that (with the caveat that it's a huge and diverse in every way state) Alaskans tend to more practical-nice than manners-nice. Like, if my truck is in the ditch, people will immediately stop and pull me out, but they might communicate wholly in grunts while doing so, lol. It's definitely not like Minnesota where people are "nice" but disengaged - folks can be pretty rough around the edges but they've got an eye out for anyone who might need help.

Have I pulled you out of a ditch? That could be me. There has been a few times where I'm really focused on getting things done in a certain amout of time and I see someone in a bind. Often, not always, I really, really, don't want to stop, but I do. Help can be sparse up here, so you have to stop and see what you can do to help. In the end, its not the end of the world if I didn't get my tasks done, and I usually feel glad to have been of help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 11:17 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
Have I pulled you out of a ditch? That could be me. There has been a few times where I'm really focused on getting things done in a certain amout of time and I see someone in a bind. Often, not always, I really, really, don't want to stop, but I do. Help can be sparse up here, so you have to stop and see what you can do to help. In the end, its not the end of the world if I didn't get my tasks done, and I usually feel glad to have been of help.
Yep, I have to put my jumper cables back in my truck as I missed an opportunity to help because they were in my garage

Old 03-08-2019, 01:59 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times
The question was about bad things in AK. But drivers ready to help are one of a few things that Alaska can be proud for. Thank you those who helped!

Old 03-08-2019, 07:49 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskans View Post
There seems to be too many negatives for some people.
And we are happy for those folks to go or stay elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:52 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Alaska is very hard to get out.

If one knows for absolute sure that he wants to move there and die there, it's a place for him. Getting out before retirement is very difficult, if you aren't a scientist...
Scientist? Lots of Alaskans get out regularly. We may have the highest per capita number of snowbirds in the US- well to do retirees. Also, many people rack up beaucoup frequent flyer miles from their credit card and work related travel, providing free tickets for vacations.

Bad/negative things in/about AK? That's mostly subjective. I would say the political climate is a bit oppressive right now.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Scientist? Lots of Alaskans get out regularly. We may have the highest per capita number of snowbirds in the US- well to do retirees. Also, many people rack up beaucoup frequent flyer miles from their credit card and work related travel, providing free tickets for vacations.

Bad/negative things in/about AK? That's mostly subjective. I would say the political climate is a bit oppressive right now.
You have to be pretty well to do to really GET OUT and see Alaska on any sort of regular basis as it usually requires owning a plane, expensive ATV's, spending alot in gas, having a separate cabin so you can actually enjoy your time out etc.

Otherwise just being suck at home you can live anywhere else and do that.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:23 AM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
You have to be pretty well to do to really GET OUT and see Alaska on any sort of regular basis as it usually requires owning a plane, expensive ATV's, spending alot in gas, having a separate cabin so you can actually enjoy your time out etc.

Otherwise just being suck at home you can live anywhere else and do that.
?

Alaska has a substantial road system, and a high percentage of the roads lead to places that are very scenic, interesting, and offer a lot in the way of outdoor activities. In fact I can say confidently that southcentral has more convenient road access to spectacular places than anywhere else in the country.

If you're not into self powered outdoor activities, or really into mountainous northern scenery, then Alaska's probably not the place I guess, but I can't understand how anybody on the road system could ever feel "stuck at home."

Old 03-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
?

Alaska has a substantial road system, and a high percentage of the roads lead to places that are very scenic, interesting, and offer a lot in the way of outdoor activities. In fact I can say confidently that southcentral has more convenient road access to spectacular places than anywhere else in the country.

If you're not into self powered outdoor activities, or really into mountainous northern scenery, then Alaska's probably not the place I guess, but I can't understand how anybody on the road system could ever feel "stuck at home."
Even if you just want to drive out somewhere and hike or fish you are looking at substantial amounts of money in gas and provisions. I mean unless you just want to go combat fish in ship creek or battle for parking to hike flat top on a nice weekend day.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:58 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times
There is all kinds of Alaska you can enjoy without spending a fortune. There's a half million acres of wilderness that starts just a couple miles east of my house in Anchorage. Some good hiking boots and backpacking gear and off you go into some of the most gorgeous scenery anywhere.

Recreating in the lower 48 is far from free. To get anywhere good outside of major metropolitan area is going to involve driving gas, traffic, lodging, and more and more often - tolls. Plus, once you get there, you will likely have lots of company.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
There is all kinds of Alaska you can enjoy without spending a fortune. There's a half million acres of wilderness that starts just a couple miles east of my house in Anchorage. Some good hiking boots and backpacking gear and off you go into some of the most gorgeous scenery anywhere.

Recreating in the lower 48 is far from free. To get anywhere good outside of major metropolitan area is going to involve driving gas, traffic, lodging, and more and more often - tolls. Plus, once you get there, you will likely have lots of company.
But the lower 48 has good jobs lol. Our economy is the worst in the nation.

Maybe if the economy ever substantially improves it may be a different story.

You have just as much company here unless you can fly out to a remote area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska