Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,551 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are residents in an other state, but would like to make Alaska our permanent residence. I am currently in the military and would like to make Alaska our home when I get out. What do we need to do? Also, what is the PDF, and does the PDF include educational funds for children or is that something separate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 PM

89 posts, read 185,865 times
Shouldnt be a big deal, go to the DMV or what ever they have and say the same thing you just posted. They should send you and ID or DL within a few weeks. Would be even easier if you live off base/ post. Take your lease papers with you or orders and you home state id with you. Should be breeze.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:52 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtimelevi View Post
Shouldnt be a big deal, go to the DMV or what ever they have and say the same thing you just posted. They should send you and ID or DL within a few weeks. Would be even easier if you live off base/ post. Take your lease papers with you or orders and you home state id with you. Should be breeze.
What part of Alaska are you in?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:12 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Here is the information you may want.

Permanent Fund Dividend Division - Home

Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Stephens View Post
My wife and I are residents in an other state, but would like to make Alaska our permanent residence. I am currently in the military and would like to make Alaska our home when I get out. What do we need to do? Also, what is the PDF, and does the PDF include educational funds for children or is that something separate?
Alaska has some pretty strict residency requirements regarding the PFD and a few other things like subsistence hunting/fishing rights. Getting an AK driver's license is the first step of course but it's absolutely no guarantee of getting the PFD check, and it shouldn't be.

There are no direct educational benefits for children through the PFD, but smart parents put their childen's checks in a college fund instead of buying themselves ATVs and 4 Wheelers et al. One of the things that has always bugged me about the PFD is that parents have rights over their children's checks and quite a few of them waste it away.

Personally I haven't been a resident of AK for a couple of years now...it just worked out that way, even though I spend most of my time here. Even if I were I wouldn't bother with the PFD; I don't like the idea of having to answer to the state if I'm gone for more than 90 or so days. Taxwise I'd be better of being a resident of AK but what the hell...I wanted an Oregon library card and I've got a flock of liberal relatives in public office there I wanted to be able to vote for

Anyway, don't move up just for the PFD. That'll crash and burn within five or so years. Move up because you want to be here, and the rest will take care of itself. Best of luck to you.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-28-2011 at 11:42 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 01:16 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
I agree with the above. Becoming a resident AND qualifying for the PFD are two totally different things.

There is a College Fund you can put your PFD money into if you choose to do that.

And we are one of those families that never was able to save for college for our kids. We did not fetter away their money, we needed it for living expenses. Except last year, we took our kids to Hawaii! Best money ever spent!

Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,360,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ Stephens View Post
Try becoming residence of Alaska before you come out of the military. Because you could use the Alaska benefits right away when you do leave the Military. Have your wife Children Move to Alaska and stake grounds with utility bills as soon as possible. With Children the Oil Revenue benefits does add up. I hear it takes like three year process when State Residence Benefits start rolling in.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blockus View Post
Try becoming residence of Alaska before you come out of the military. Because you could use the Alaska benefits right away when you do leave the Military. Have your wife Children Move to Alaska and stake grounds with utility bills as soon as possible. With Children the Oil Revenue benefits does add up. I hear it takes like three year process when State Residence Benefits start rolling in.
If he's stationed here already and has his dependents with him, it is advisable to transfer his residency now instead of waiting. I know several military families who are already enjoying resident benefits because they know that they are not leaving when the tour is up and/or they're short. However, you can maintain your Alaskan residency while you're in the military even if you are stationed in another state and are forced to move... IF you intend to return here and continue to state that Alaska is your state of residency.

When in the military, getting a driver's license in another state (if that state requires it) does not automatically void your state of residency... registering to vote there does.

The timeline for Alaska benefits depends on the benefit and when you move here. The PFD requires you to have been resident for an entire calendar year (Jan 1 to Dec 31) before applying the following March and getting your check in the Fall... so if you get here Jan 2 of Year 1, you don't get a check until the fall of Year 3 (almost 2 3/4 years); but if you get here Dec 31 of Year 1, you still get your check in the fall of Year 3 (only 1 3/4 years). But other resident benefits, like hunting and fishing licenses, simply require you to have been resident for 365 days prior to applying. Other benefits have different residency requirements.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:08 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
If stationed at another State, the only way to become an AK resident while in the military is by changing "home of records" to Alaska. I have no idea how that's done nowadays, but when I was in the military (I retired in 1994) was during a re-enlistment. Go to your Personnel's Office (CBPO if in the AF), and ask for home of records change.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I agree with the above. Becoming a resident AND qualifying for the PFD are two totally different things.

There is a College Fund you can put your PFD money into if you choose to do that.

And we are one of those families that never was able to save for college for our kids. We did not fetter away their money, we needed it for living expenses. Except last year, we took our kids to Hawaii! Best money ever spent!
I'd say a trip to the sun is a great investment.

Nothing wrong with spending the kids checks on living expenses but I've seen so many who don't. I recall when they first started slinging around the free loot, idjits were coming up in droves. Back then you only had to live here for 6 months before you were eligible, and they didn't check into it much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska