Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 PM

8 posts, read 12,579 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm going to move to wasilla. What is the weather like each season and what is wasilla like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:46 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
It's warm in the summer, cold in the winter. Mild in between.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 PM

What are some need to no things before I make the big move there?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesterbaby88 View Post
It can be quite expensive up here, but if you have the cash you can easily adapt to any situation as it comes. Some of the things you will need:

a. An automobile in good working condition, winterized, and with two sets of tires (winter and all-season for the rest of the year).

b. Winter clothing and shoes.

c. Cash for rent or lodging and security deposit, plus utilities and such.

d. Cash for food.

e. More cash, just in case
--------

Old 10-24-2011, 10:48 PM

275 posts, read 579,742 times
Quote:
Ray pretty much covered the basics, other than the fact it can get very windy at times in the valley. Because of the geography, the wind is far worse in some areas as compared to others.

During my first visit to Wasilla for house hunting last December, the winds were blowing at around 60-75 MPH and as we headed through town, there was a semi blown over just across from Wasilla Lake.

Other than the answers so far, what kind of things do you need to know?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:01 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Bring a kite for kite surfing on ski's!

Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Go for a visit first, would be my suggestion.

Just out of curiosity, why are you moving somewhere you don't know anything about?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:18 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Hi I'm going to move to wasilla. What is the weather like each season and what is wasilla like?
I agree with the other posters. Where are you moving from?

The more specifics you can provide about your move, the more specific answers you will obtain from us.

As to the weather:
  • Summers are mild, between 60F and 70F typically but it can, very rarely, get as warm as 80F. Those warm summers are about the only time you will hear thunderstorms in the Mat-Su Valley. Late May to at least mid-June is typically the driest part of the Summer. Very light rain (a.k.a. drizzle) usually starts off and on in late-June and runs through July, August, and September. Usually it is three to four days of either this drizzle or overcast without the drizzle, followed by one or two days of sunny days. If you have a yard with grass, expect it to grow an inch per day under the 20.5 hours of sunlight. Alder will grow three to four feet in a single summer.
  • Fall begins in late-August and runs until mid-October. The temperature drops to 30F to as high as 50F. It rains a little less, but is still overcast most days. It is also the most beautiful season of the year, without a doubt.
  • Winter usually begins with the first snowfall, which is late this year. More often than not, the first snow on the ground is around mid-October, but has been as late as early December. It is difficult to give you a temperature because it can vary considerably. It has been -20F for a few days in December or February, and it has been +50F in January if the Chinook Winds are blowing. Normally these warm Chinook Winds come in January, but it can also vary considerably. Winter lasts from mid-October to the Spring Equinox in late-March. Winter is also the second prettiest season of the year. By Winter Solstice we are down to about 3.5 hours of daylight (usually overcast). The lack of light can be harder on some people than the long winters.
  • Spring begins in April and ends by mid-May. Spring is without a doubt the ugliest time of the year. Everything is melting, and there is mud everywhere. Temperatures are usually above freezing during the day, and still dropping below freezing at night. The first mosquitoes appear coming out of hibernation in mid-April.
Needless to say, you will want decent rain gear that doubles as a wind breaker. You will also want to be prepared for at least -25F during the winter. The Mat-Su Valley gets slightly less snow than Anchorage during the winter, so using their averages and subtracting a few inches would be reasonably accurate. However, it depends on your proximity to the mountains. The closer you are, and the higher you are in elevation, the more snow you will get. If you are further in to the valley, you will get less snow, but it will also be slightly colder.

As far as the winds are concerned, the Palmer/Matanuska side of the valley gets more wind than the Wasilla/Susitna side of the valley, but they still reach as far as Houston. We have had hurricane force winds, in excess of 85mph, but usually they are in the 40mph to 60mph range. They are their worst on the Palmer Hay Flats.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Go for a visit first, would be my suggestion.

Just out of curiosity, why are you moving somewhere you don't know anything about?
That takes all the fun out of the adventure.

I say come up blind, but bring lots of cash.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:08 AM

We are moving from ohio. Its been our dream for a very long time and we are so sick of it here that were ready. I am coming with a mathematics degree and my dad is a precision grinder or/toolmaker. Can you tell me anything about those types of jobs there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska