Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 04:06 PM

10 posts, read 11,113 times

Advertisements

My son who is 26 and I (older than dirt!) are heading up to AK Sept. 14-28. I have a friend in Glennallen who we will visit for a few days then plan on heading to the Kenai Penninsula for some of the time too. Is there going to be any worthwhile fishing then? Silvers? Halibut? Will probably be staying in Seward, unless one of you has a better idea? Also want to kayak, hike, horseback, and general sightseeing. Hoping the better part of tourist season is over then, we have made no reservations anywhere!(except car rental) I've been looking at cabins online and see a lot of vacancies then, but it also looks like a lot of places close labor day.

Any suggestions, places to stay, eat, or things to do down on the penninsula would be greatly appreciated. I see Alyeska has octoberfest sept 23-25 and Seward has music & art fest that same weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 04:37 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyrider View Post
My son who is 26 and I (older than dirt!) are heading up to AK Sept. 14-28. I have a friend in Glennallen who we will visit for a few days then plan on heading to the Kenai Penninsula for some of the time too. Is there going to be any worthwhile fishing then? Silvers? Halibut? Will probably be staying in Seward, unless one of you has a better idea? Also want to kayak, hike, horseback, and general sightseeing. Hoping the better part of tourist season is over then, we have made no reservations anywhere!(except car rental) I've been looking at cabins online and see a lot of vacancies then, but it also looks like a lot of places close labor day.

Any suggestions, places to stay, eat, or things to do down on the penninsula would be greatly appreciated. I see Alyeska has octoberfest sept 23-25 and Seward has music & art fest that same weekend.
just a heads up....GlenAllen down to like Kenai is about a 12 hour drive...add another 1 or so to Seward.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 PM

173 posts, read 380,662 times
It's not a 12 hour drive, more like about six at the most. Especially now that the tourist traffic is thinning by the week.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
I would suggest spending some time reading through the TripAdvisor forums: Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska - TripAdvisor

Old 08-29-2011, 06:08 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Well your traffic behind motor homes amd such is going to be thinning out, but you are in the middle of hunting season so there will trucks with fourwheelers and other oddities on the road looking for moose or parked along the road system.

But for the most part you will have an easy drive except going through Anchorage during Rush hour traffic, it's a pain all year long, but doable.

Most of the major seasonal fishing is winding down, but there is still some charters going on out of Homer as well.

Should be a nice trip for you!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:46 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
In any case, Glenallen to Anchorage/Kenai/Seward is a long trip... at least it's pretty once you aren't right in the middle of town

Bring warm layers, as the weather can turn on you at any moment that late in the season... one of the reasons touron season ends at Labor Day LOL.

River fishing might be a bit dead by then, at least in some places. You might still find some late salmon or some fresh waters, depends on where you end up. I can't vouch for any sea fishing... but keep an eye on storm warnings if you do head out. Booking a charter may be easier or harder at the end of the tourist season... some folks will be happy to grab some last cash before winter, but other captains may have packed up already. Same goes for most rental cabins. So the "no reservations" thing may bite you in the butt.

You might want to plan on hunting instead of fishing since a lot of the seasons open around then (although non-resident licenses and tags can set you back a pretty penny) and you may still find a guided hunt with open slots. And if you don't want to shot-to-kill, I'm sure you could find someone to take you on a photo "hunt" instead.

Only in Alaska will Oktoberfest be held in September :rolls eyes: Alyeska is pretty, but IIRC their O-Fest was pretty lame; but I might be a bit biased since I grew up in Germany with real Oktoberfest

If you're driving through Anchorage anyway, stop in at the Moose's Tooth for a pint and some pizza

Old 08-29-2011, 09:08 AM

10 posts, read 11,113 times
Thanks for the info everybody. I have been doing lots of trip advisor research. This will be my second trip up there, I was in Glennallen 3 yrs ago. I cannot wait to get out of this hot, miserable state. Hopefully the weather will be changing here by the time I get back.

We are very outdoor oriented, so clothing, and weather really aren't an issue. Hunting is a great idea, especially if we totally miss out on fishing season. My friend in Glennallen recently shot a caribou, she may be able to hook us up hunting. We originally planned on coming in July, but we are using free miles and this was the only time we could use them. Also have free car rental for one of the weeks. We have free Marriot stay flying in and out of Anch and free place to stay in Glennallen! My sons work involves traveling a lot, so he has all the perks!
I have noticed a lot of places close Labor Day. We are a bit late in the season, but at least most of the tourists (or terrorists as I like to call them down here) will be gone. Looks like it'll be rainy and cool too, which doesn't bother me a bit either.

The Moose Tooth sounds great right now! Counting down the days! Cheers!

Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2hoop View Post
It's not a 12 hour drive, more like about six at the most. Especially now that the tourist traffic is thinning by the week.
hummmm took me from Homer to Wasilla 6 hours an that was not stopping anywhere...an I made the drive 5x this summer...I stated 12 as I doubt being as it is their first time they will drive straight thru...

Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,289,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
hummmm took me from Homer to Wasilla 6 hours an that was not stopping anywhere...an I made the drive 5x this summer...I stated 12 as I doubt being as it is their first time they will drive straight thru...
And it's about 2 or 2.5 hours from Wasilla to Glennallen. Glennallen to Seward can't be more than 5-6 hours.

I don't know much about the halibut season, but you'd be just late for the silvers around here. Don't know how the run compares over on the Kenai though. I'd try freshwater fishing for trout, dollies, or grayling then. There's plenty of that around Glennallen, and probably on the Kenai as well.

Last edited by tigre79; 08-31-2011 at 12:52 AM..

Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 PM

157 posts, read 240,458 times
A little off topic, but I tried to get into Mooses Tooth twice last week and there was a wait of 1 - 1.5 hrs! I just can't wait that long for pizza. Maybe it's time for them to accept reservations, at least during the summer? Shoot - I was there New Years Eve (albeit about 6 PM) and got a table right away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska