Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 09:20 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
Glitch how come you woke up acting like Lurch? Nephler is ALASKAN as they come-location is just a technicality at this point.
Are you kidding me? You certainly cannot tell that by his derogatory posts about Alaska, Wasilla in particular. He was chomping at the bit to get back to his precious Michigan from the day he arrived in Alaska. Good riddance. "Alaskan" my ass.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Well, you said it right there. You have never been there (I have). You claim to have seen videos etc. Do you even know where the oil production would take place as compared to where those videos were shot, or the relative proposed footprint of development as compared to the total area of ANWR? Or even what that development means in terms of infrastructure? Obviously not.

I'm not one who usually jumps on the "you're not from here so you can't comment" argument. But in this case the point is valid. Your post demonstrates an utter lack of comprehension of what drilling in ANWR would really mean. Over 99% of the land there wouldn't even be impacted, but you have clearly bought into the false assumption that the entire place would be "defaced". You simply are not qualified to be making comments about this issue.
First of all, I will admit that I was speaking first out of passion and emotion in this case, rather than being prudent and checking the facts properly, and for that I will apologize. You seem to know a lot more about the actual "what, where, and how" of the proposed drilling in ANWR than I do, and so I would appreciate it if you would point me to somewhere that I can look at the facts and learn more about what they would actually do if they were to drill there. And I can't stress enough, this is not sarcasm; I geniunely want to know..
You can start with some of these:

Arctic Power - Arctic National Wildlife Refuge - Home
http://www.netl.doe.gov/publications.../Policy006.pdf
Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, 1002 Area, Petroleum Assessment, 1998, Including Economic Analysis
Arctic Refuge drilling controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some things to keep in mind during your reading:
  1. Any oil exploration or production would take place only in a very limited part of ANWR designated as the 1002 Area (pronounced ten-o-two by Alaskans).
  2. The 1002 area was designated for oil exploration at the time ANWR was created – in other words: oil production was part of the whole deal that created ANWR in the first place – a fact that is being conveniently overlooked by certain interests in today’s debates.
  3. Back to the original intent of this thread, this was in fact the point Young was making when he was interrupted by that smart a** punk – the guy is a well known Revisionist Historian who always tries to claim that Alaska was always only intended to be some kind of giant nature preserve from the very beginning – and somehow that was even the intent of all us residents too (but of course, he doesn't live here).
  4. ANWR covers roughly 20 million acres. The 1002 area is only about 10% of this, ~2 million acres.
  5. Once production were to start it is estimated (by using the existing example of Prudhoe bay) that only about 2000 acres would actually be developed. That is 0.01% of the total land in ANWR.
A good comparison would be to think of the entire expanse of your State as untouched wilderness devoid of any people. Now put one small town down in the corner on the coast. More than just a few miles away from this area, would this development ever even be noticeable anywhere else within the State?

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 11-29-2011 at 09:42 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ray, I do not know how your poor wife puts up with you. No doubt she is working late again and will arrive home to find you on your fifth or sixth "cup" of wine. You are truly a fathead of the worst order.
When reading your comments like this, do you think Ray says to himself; hmm? I believe I married the wrong woman.

+1 for the laugh

Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Are you kidding me? You certainly cannot tell that by his derogatory posts about Alaska, Wasilla in particular. He was chomping at the bit to get back to his precious Michigan from the day he arrived in Alaska. Good riddance. "Alaskan" my ass.

Take a chill pill sister. You must have confused with him with somebody else.

His photos here are as a man who loves the Big Land deeply...epic phots....

Sorry about the sister thing dude.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
did you ever meet Nephler in person???? well I did and went hiking/photographing with him....just before he had to leave AK and I know for a fact how devastating it was for him to have to leave. Lots of people post derogatory post about things that irritate them...traffic, idjit in general etc...does not mean they hate Alaska. Some do however and they state it clearly...Nephler never did that.

so lighten up, take a walk or something to help get you outta your grumpy state until then...here Glitch...SMACK
SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!! o´¯`❄.¸(░)`O.¸¸.¸.o´¯`❄.¸(░)`O.❄。¨¯`*✲ ´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄*´*。✲O.¸¸.¸.o´¯`o.¸(░) `O.¸¸.✲.¸.o´¯`¸.o´¯`❄¸(░)`O.¸¸.¸.✲´¯ `o.¸(░) `O.¸❄。`O.¸¸.¸.o´¯`❄。¨¯`*✲....¸.o´¯`o.¸ (░) `O.¸¸.¸.o´¯`❄.¸(░)´*。✲´*。.❄¨¯`*✲。❄。*。¨ ¯`*✲ gottcha

Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,064 times
Quote:
"Them there are fighting words pardner"!

Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
the land belonged to the natives!...it was taken from them for oil exploration.....if it was your land taken by emanate domain and you finally got payment for what someone was taking off your land would you want to "share" with people 100's+ of miles away who have nothing what so ever to do with your land????
Not the same thing, the natives were basicly conquored thus they are lucky to have any rights. Also any other land owner in Alaska has no mineral rights so why should natives, seems like a double standard. Also if the "state" is benifiting why shouldent the people after all isent that what the "state" is, or are we all going to admit on here that in reality the "state" is the upper eshelon of gov that are collecting the fat checks and all we see are a few roads while the rest goes to special interest projects. The best way to benifit the "state" is in the form of dividends to its citizens otherwise its largely irrelavent other than roads but everywhere has roads.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:18 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Rppearso, perhaps your posts would be more readable if were you to employ a second grader to assist you in their composition.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,728,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
Not the same thing, the natives were basicly conquored thus they are lucky to have any rights. Also any other land owner in Alaska has no mineral rights so why should natives, seems like a double standard. Also if the "state" is benifiting why shouldent the people after all isent that what the "state" is, or are we all going to admit on here that in reality the "state" is the upper eshelon of gov that are collecting the fat checks and all we see are a few roads while the rest goes to special interest projects. The best way to benifit the "state" is in the form of dividends to its citizens otherwise its largely irrelavent other than roads but everywhere has roads.
"conquored" (misspelled by the way)
conquered: to gain or acquire by force of arms : subjugate <conquer territory>
does not make it right in any way shape or form.....soooo....supposed someone forces their way into your home, conquers you ....then it becomes their home?? same thing no matter how you want to spin it....the land was stolen just like the land from the native american Indians in the lower 48's. this started in 1492 if you remember your history....greedy money hungry people will always be whining and crying "not fair I want more"...this "conquering as you put it, to the Native Alaskan impacted their way of life from their language, culture, way of life etc....they are owed back for the unspeakable theft an raping of their lifestyles and such....greedy people will never see that..take, take, take and want more.....you will never be happy with your view on things and money sadly

Old 11-29-2011, 11:39 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
"conquored" (misspelled by the way)
conquered: to gain or acquire by force of arms : subjugate <conquer territory>
does not make it right in any way shape or form.....soooo....supposed someone forces their way into your home, conquers you ....then it becomes their home?? same thing no matter how you want to spin it....the land was stolen just like the land from the native american Indians in the lower 48's. this started in 1492 if you remember your history....greedy money hungry people will always be whining and crying "not fair I want more"...this "conquering as you put it, to the Native Alaskan impacted their way of life from their language, culture, way of life etc....they are owed back for the unspeakable theft an raping of their lifestyles and such....greedy people will never see that..take, take, take and want more.....you will never be happy with your view on things and money sadly
If the chineese were to invade then yes they could take our homes and force us out, that is pretty much what they are doing now without firing a shot. As far as another individual just doing a home invasion, not the same thing and you know it, you are being disingenuous and about to go on ignore if you cant have an intellegent discussion. They were conqoured plain and simple, they are lucky to even exist just as we would be lucky to exist if we were invaded by another nation. why do you think our defense budget is so high.

The natives are owed nothing, they could not defend themselves as a nation and thats all there is too it. Whether you are religious or not read the old testimate and tell me if its "fair", its just the way it is. No other conquoring nation I know of in history gave the conquored such rights as we give to natives, so they ought to be grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska