Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:23 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post

So if it's a female it's a refreshing post but if it's a male he is off the wall.

Actually, this is just another troll trying to bait the Alaskans again.
Somebody trying a McCandles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes it does, but how else are we to prevent our igloos from melting?
Good Point !

Old 02-03-2012, 12:43 AM

162 posts, read 362,238 times
If we don't scare him away, he'll come up here and eat all our wascally wabbits.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Wow, -30!

Hasn't been that warm in weeks... Um, months!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:03 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdunnrespect View Post
okay hiya gang my namew is drew and i am new to this forum and i am looking tomove the alaskan wilderness and am wanting to build myself a life out of the beyond. Now please note i am a bushhcrafter and am used to living out doors in all weathers and am fasinated by logabins and have built one on a scout camp i help run and really want to build another one and then live there buy hunting, growing my own food, and chopping logs for heat and what not but i currently live in the uk with rents and am 24 and well i love the idea of having a gun to go hunting with and currently own a air rifle that i would hunt bunny rabbit s with if i had land to do so on.

and i am also brewing my oen beer and make my own wine and am starting to get in to preserving food and canning and what not and well i now want to in get to wilderness living big style which is not really possible in the uk any advice

drew
I can't help but think you've been watching too much Ray Mears or whatever. Spending time camping out in the UK wouldn't prepare you for the reality of life on the ground in the remote parts of the interior of Alaska (I assume you are talking interior, since your previous post here referenced it).

If you're serious about this - and you can actually get through immigration - I strongly suggest spending a year or more in a populated, established interior community, acclimatizing and learning from the people who are familiar with the skillsets you would need to meet your goal. Functioning in an subarctic environment without ready access to significant infrastructure is not something you learn from a book, the internet, or from outings in the pastoral British countryside.

You also need to consider the magnitude of the cost of such an endeavor.

Last edited by Frostnip; 02-03-2012 at 03:29 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 05:02 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
I have had that dream of moving to Alaska since forever and seeing the pictures here on Citydata is making me want to come out there even more, living off the grid with a bunch of sled dogs and not having any dealings with humans for months on end...it sounds like paradise but reality is different and I have no plans on ever trying to live out there. The cold alone would kill me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska