Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 PM

83,551 posts, read 75,428,957 times

Advertisements

Good article all around but here some bits of it.

"Weather isn't the only thing that can wreak havoc in Alaska

The state plans two food stockpiles in or near Fairbanks and Anchorage, two cities that also have military bases. Construction on the two storage facilities will begin this fall, and the first food deliveries are targeted for December. The goal is to have enough food to feed 40,000 people for up to a week, including three days of ready-to-eat meals and four days of bulk food that can be prepared and cooked for large groups"

" Gov. Sean Parnell worries a major earthquake or volcanic eruption could leave the state's 720,000 residents stranded and cut off from food and supply lines. His answer: Build giant warehouses full of emergency food and supplies, just in case.

For some in the lower 48, it may seem like an extreme step. But Parnell says this is just Alaska.
In many ways, the state is no different than the rest of America. Most people buy their groceries at stores, and rely on a central grid for power and heat.

But, unlike the rest of the lower 48, help isn't a few miles away. When a fall storm cut off Nome from its final fuel supply last winter, a Russian tanker spent weeks breaking through thick ice to reach the remote town."

I remember that. It was scary to hear that the shipping lane was impassable and thankfully a "Russian" tanker helped out.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-08-29/remote-alaska-to-stockpile-food-just-in-case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:58 PM

116 posts, read 546,694 times
More states need to do this.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:22 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
How do you know that more states are not doing this or have not done this?

Also, the Federal Government does this and can get to most of the contiguous states in the United States.

Smart move - a strategic reserve of food - just like we do for oil...

Old 08-31-2012, 04:37 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,639,107 times
I thought all Alaskans lived off the land? From I've seen here, only Alaskan women live off the land while the men go shopping and enjoy being asked: paper or plastic, big guy?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,873,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSlave View Post
More states need to do this.
Why would you want to depend on the State?
It would be great if the State did because that will keep hundreds of starving people from knocking down my doors to get to my stash. It doesn't really take that much money to stockpile one months worth of food and basic necessities. But I feel it is MY responsibility to stock my own supplies for an emergency.
GL2

Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,180,311 times
One road in, 1 airport at each end of the road system, weather on the water-we ride the ragged edge here, and this is actually a good idea. If you want to see how close we are to being in trouble take a drive up the Glenn highway past Sutton and see how close the ravenous raging Matanuska river is to the main road from the lower to Anchorage.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 AM

116 posts, read 546,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Why would you want to depend on the State?
It would be great if the State did because that will keep hundreds of starving people from knocking down my doors to get to my stash. It doesn't really take that much money to stockpile one months worth of food and basic necessities. But I feel it is MY responsibility to stock my own supplies for an emergency.
GL2
When did I say I want to depend on the state? I want states to do this for the same reason you said.
BTW I have a lot more than a month.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:01 AM

339 posts, read 589,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I thought all Alaskans lived off the land? From I've seen here, only Alaskan women live off the land while the men go shopping and enjoy being asked: paper or plastic, big guy?

I think I just heard a collective "ouch". lol

Old 09-01-2012, 01:22 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,159,707 times
Three freezers:

Freezer one...Store bought meats.

Freezer two...Moose, caribou, and dried fish.

Freezer three...Berries and misc frozen things.

Yeah, We're stockpiled with things off the land and the store, Redman.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,528,319 times
And when the natural disaster either destroys or prevents you from getting to your stash, then what?

Not saying to abandon stockpiling food, I do that as well. But after going thru nasty hurricanes down here and coming back to a house with only the foundation left that stockpile was not there... Granted we drove to shelter, power, grocery stores, and restaurants.... Something you might not be able to do in AK...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska