Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:16 AM

3 posts, read 10,646 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

This question must have been asked a thousand times already but in my case it's a little different because I'm not an American citizen, I'm French.

I'm currently working as an administrative assistant and preparing a degree in the same time, but I know for sure I'm gonna fail because the exam I'll have to sit is just too hard and I hate it so much I can't even force myself to study. So I'll end up with no degree but my high school diploma which isn't worth squat when you're looking for a job.

I don't have a whole lot of friends and I broke off all ties with my family, therefore leaving forever isn't much of a problem for me.

It seems that you need to have some money saved up before moving to Alaska. I got about $4,000 on my savings account.

So is there even the slightest chance that I could move to Alaska, find an appartment and a job?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for my English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 AM

339 posts, read 588,486 times
Your first problem is you need a company in Alaska to hire you and be your sponsor. That said those openings are going to probably be seasonal jobs and when Sept comes you have to leave, if you stay you can be arrested, deported and have to wait a certain # of years before you can apply to immigrate here. With a seasonal job at a tourist area there is usually housing you can get for a small amount deducted from your paycheck. Then you don't have to use all your savings, but you do have to have an "exit" ticket pre-purchased. I worked at the Westmark in Tok and almost all the kitchen and housekeeping staff was from overseas. My cabinmate was from Bulgaria. My understanding is starting in Jan they do hiring fairs for the summer season. If you came over on a tourist visa, you could probably SURVIVE 3 months max on your savings, but you still have to leave at the end and you CANNOT work with a tourist visa. Better to get the work visa and try out Alaska. If you do like it you can go back, put in an app to immigrate while saving up more money.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Thanks for your reply.

If I understand you correctly, I must first find a seasonal job, then fly all the way back to my place and apply for immigration and then fly back to Alaska?
The problem is it's gonna cost a lot of money to travel twice.

Isn't there any way to apply for immigration without having been to Alaska previously?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:45 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeda View Post
Thanks for your reply.

If I understand you correctly, I must first find a seasonal job, then fly all the way back to my place and apply for immigration and then fly back to Alaska?

Isn't there any way to apply for immigration without having been to Alaska previously?
There is no special provision to immigrate to the U.S. if you live in Alaska. Alaska is like immigrating to any other of the 49 states and territories of the U.S. Have a look here at your options, USCIS Home Page. We treat Alaska the same as New York, California, Hawaii, etc.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I think AlaskaNana was suggesting that you work in Alaska for a summer first just to see if you like it.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Thanks guys, I'll look into it and try to keep you posted.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:09 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
I'm not American, I'm Alaskan! (This is what we told people when we were in Europe)

Old 08-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

I should have been clearer what I meant was it takes a while to get your immigration approved, last person I knew who immigrated said it took over 5 years for theirs and that was before the U.S. implemented new laws "to make its residents safer". So before you went to the expense and the long wait maybe you should make sure Alaska, or even the U.S. for that matter, you should make sure that is what you want. Its not like moving here from California where if you don't like Alaska its not that hard to leave. Sorry I wasn'r clearer.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
I'm not American, I'm Alaskan! (This is what we told people when we were in Europe)

I know. Even in the -48 there are people who think the same way. No problem for me. I'm all for the Alaska being its own country. Be better for Alaskans than the way it is now We'll even make you the first president.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:12 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
To move to anywhere in the USA on a work visa is difficult. You would need to be qualified in a field that is in demand for example, doctors, lawyers etc ... unfortunately Admin assistants do not fall into this category so I very much doubt you will find an employer to sponser you. You can always try the seasonal worker route but you are only allowed to stay for a certain period of time and once you leave you can't return straight away.

I suggest you take a look at the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

Just a hint, you may qualify for the Visa lottery program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska