Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 03:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A couple of articles have been written about the lack of religion in Alaska, but what I have seen for the past 30 or more years I have lived here is the opposite. At least in the interior of Alaska, around Fairbanks and vicinity, there are churches of all denominations all over the place. In North Pole alone there are three or four churches across NAPA Auto Parts, and there are a few more (by KJMP, Moose Creek, several by Badger Road, and several I didn't mention. The same all around Fairbanks.
I agree. There are three or four churches just on Knik-Goose Bay Road outside of Wasilla. They just completed building another one near Settler's Bay. These churches are always packed on the weekends. It is not just a few handful of people attending.

As an atheist I do not attend any church, but if Alaska is considered one of the least non-religious States in the US, I would hate to see what they consider the most religious State in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 04:34 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,933,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
I thought Alaska was very conservative and just recently found out that Alaska is actually one of the least religious states in the US. Why?
Maybe Alaskans have taken some personal responsibility for their lives, and not entrusted it to a big scary guy that lives in the sky?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpls View Post
Just because someone is not physically in a church doesn't mean that they aren't "religious." There's plenty of places in Alaska where one can go to see and appreciate God's work.
THat's true. A lot of people are religious and read their Bibles at home, and for various reasons don't go to church.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 PM

63 posts, read 168,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

As an atheist I do not attend any church, but if Alaska is considered one of the least non-religious States in the US, I would hate to see what they consider the most religious State in the US.
It's pretty predictable. The South: bringing you backwardness and bigotry since 1700!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:44 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMatt View Post
Why? Because most people who arrive in Alaska don't just "end up" here: it usually takes most people a lot of sacrifice and struggle (personal and financial) to make this huge move from friends, family, and familiar surroundings in the 'lower 48.'

Many of us are independent, fiercely individualistic, and often big risk-takers.
You mean like the pilgrims?

Quote:
Many of us are critical thinkers who question things in life. (Like I did: "What the eff am I doing wasting my life in the Midwest!?)

Those above attributes tend to disfavor too much religion.

I often find that very religious people enjoy conventional thinking; they may not challenge mores or the teachings of their parents.

The fact that there is very little religion in Alaska, compared to the other states, is one of my favorite things of living here.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:04 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
It's pretty predictable. The South: bringing you backwardness and bigotry since 1700!
Well, it seems that the map shown is all screwed-up, at least the Alaska part

But then immigrants from the South are mostly very religious. I wonder if that's the reason why the Sought is shown that way?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:18 PM

63 posts, read 168,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
You mean like the pilgrims?
Assuming you mean the Pilgrims that arrived from Europe in the 1600s, no, they were really none of the things I described. The Pilgrims came in a huge flock of exactly like-minded people, hundreds of them, all aligned with a single purpose: to be able to practice their religion away from English rule. Not exactly "fiercely independent or individualistic." That's a good example of groupthink mentality, actually.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:43 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Assuming you mean the Pilgrims that arrived from Europe in the 1600s, no, they were really none of the things I described. The Pilgrims came in a huge flock of exactly like-minded people, hundreds of them, all aligned with a single purpose: to be able to practice their religion away from English rule. Not exactly "fiercely independent or individualistic." That's a good example of groupthink mentality, actually.
Actually, the Puritans fled English persecution by moving to the Kingdom of Holland. However, the Netherlands were far too tolerant for the Puritans so they moved to North America. Not because of religious persecution, but rather to start their own colony where they did not have to be tolerant of other religions. The very last thing the Puritans wanted was religious freedom.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:05 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
I took into account that some of these have duplicates, but I still count 65 churches up in the Mat-Su:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

That's a lot of churches!

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2012 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-20-2012, 05:54 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,712 times
Quote:
So the Pilgrims leave their lives in Britain and settle in a highly inhospitable and very dangerous country, and you call them "groupthinkers". Modern Alaskans leave the lower 48 to settle in a less hospitable, but probably not as dangerous place, and you call them fiercely independent, individualistic risk-takers. Sounds like a self-congratulatory double standard to me.

While I don't share the pilgrims' religious views, I have to give them their dues. Did you know that Jamestown, founded a few years before the pilgrims came, nearly failed, and the vast majority of the colonists died within months?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska