Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times

Advertisements

Well...if he's gone, he went doing what he most likely loved. A person can't ask for much more than that. Beats getting mangled in a car wreck or a long drawn out fight with cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 02:01 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,379 times
that's right, anything can happen..you can fall, break your neck or leg...an animal can attack and eat you...even the most hardened outdoorsman can run into unexpected trouble. Nature is very unforgiven. It's not like the movies.
and I agree Rance, dying while doing what you like best can't be all bad

Old 11-24-2012, 10:56 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
I really doubt this guy was set up for sub arctic weather in Winter here, been -30 a lot and if he was a warm weather survivalist, he is toast by now, more appropriately, a Popsicle by now. Sorry about his family having to worry about him though, it's just past his chance of normal survival now.

Would really have to be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat (more like a snare to survive) to walk out now. Be nice if he did pull it off though, wouldn't buy the book though.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:41 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
I really doubt this guy was set up for sub arctic weather in Winter here, been -30 a lot and if he was a warm weather survivalist, he is toast by now, more appropriately, a Popsicle by now. Sorry about his family having to worry about him though, it's just past his chance of normal survival now.

Would really have to be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat (more like a snare to survive) to walk out now. Be nice if he did pull it off though, wouldn't buy the book though.
Coming from Minnesota or Wisconsin I have to think he was more than familiar with cold, frostbite and hypothermia. I am surprised that he did not have SPOT, or a satellite phone, or at least some means to communicate with pilots overhead. Especially considering he was unfamiliar with the trail and traveling alone.

The article does not mention what he took with him when he began his trek. Presumably he knew what the weather would be like this far north at this time of the year, and be equipped appropriately. When I arrived in Alaska I was prepared for -80°F, if necessary.

The cold may have gotten to him, or it may have been something else. Either way, I also think he has become a permanent fixture.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,001 times
If he has met his demise hopefully for his sake it was quick and as painless as possible. Having a SPOT or something similar should be a requirement in Alaska. I know from experience that it works very well.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:35 AM

406 posts, read 755,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzzz01 View Post
If he has met his demise hopefully for his sake it was quick and as painless as possible. Having a SPOT or something similar should be a requirement in Alaska. I know from experience that it works very well.
Just what we need another Damn Law!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:47 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,056,001 times
I wasn't implying that it should be a law and maybe shouldn't have used the word 'requirement'. I just believe it's a common sense item that everyone should have...a very small price to pay for an gadget that could very well save your life.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Well...if he's gone, he went doing what he most likely loved. A person can't ask for much more than that. Beats getting mangled in a car wreck or a long drawn out fight with cancer.
Whether he was eaten or trampled by local fauna, or froze to death, or starved, or any combination thereof... I doubt it was an overwhelmingly pleasant way to go. He may not have loved it so much when it was pitch black out, well below zero, and he had eaten his last Slim Jim three days earlier.

FTR... yes, he is most likely dead.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
There is a lot of things that would work well if you are in distress, a fire is a good place to start, and yes the SPOT system is also good. But you can't legislate "Stupid", those tools are available, if they don't take them with them it is their own fault. Just because they have one doesn't mean it will be in good condition or have good batteries and if the even know how to work one (push a button).

IF they pass a law you have to have a spot, then they will make it mandatory to take a training class to leave established trails, take navigation classes, crap in the woods and so forth, it doesn't end.

Let those that are clueless leave the trails and go forth and spread out, and join the list of Darwin award winners.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 PM

406 posts, read 755,735 times
Quote:
I wasn't implying that it should be a law and maybe shouldn't have used the word 'requirement'. I just believe it's a common sense item that everyone should have...a very small price to pay for an gadget that could very well save your life.

Roger.... I agree.... Just don't need anymore laws that save us from our selves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska