Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times

Advertisements

Good luck with that. Actually, a couple of people have already tried to tell you that your experience with neighborhoods isn't really applicable to Juneau, but you were apparently too busy trying to snarl at me to pay them any attention.

The sex offenders in Juneau don't exactly congregate in specific neighborhoods. There is an easy way to find out where they live, though, but I'll let someone who lives up to your definition of normal give you that information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 AM

19 posts, read 36,779 times
Default Awesome :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
The only area I'd avoid is Lemon Creek. That's because the area is mostly trailer parks and elementary school age would be bused. At least in the valley, downtown and Douglas, your kids can be close enough to walk to elementary school, although busing or parent drop-off is still a possibility.

There are no areas you need to avoid because of high crime/bad neighborhoods. Yes, there are rentals you'll want to avoid because of the conditions they're in, but the only way you'd know is to see it in-person. Likewise, there may be neighbors to avoid, but you won't know that until after you rented a place. What it comes down to is the lifestyle you like to live. Some like downtown and Douglas, but the houses are closer together. Others like the valley because your yards and houses are potentially bigger. Some like North Douglas, Thane or out the road for the isolation (not as many rentals).

Your James Blvd bite likely an apartment. I've been through the area, but I have no idea what it's like to live there. Be aware the rental market in Juneau is tight. You may end not having a choice, especially since the legislature will be in session next month. This also means rentals will be expensive, but likely not as much as the east coast.
Thanks, akck... again, exactly what I was looking for. I did read a little about Lemon Creek, and I was wondering about that. Schools nearby is definitely a perk. Although he is young now, that time will fly I guess what I was asking, is if a whole apartment complex was attracted any bad. We get the 'fun' neighbors where I am at right now, and that is a-ok. I'm not sure why people flock to areas here, but they just do. Yes, the James Blvd bite was an apartment. My fiance was asked to apply to a maintenance position there, so that is why that one specifically came up. Yeah, MD knows how to rob ya in living expenses. Between that, and taxes, it's definitely crazy times. Thanks for the information- again, a huge help!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Good luck with that. Actually, a couple of people have already tried to tell you that your experience with neighborhoods isn't really applicable to Juneau, but you were apparently too busy trying to snarl at me to pay them any attention.

The sex offenders in Juneau don't exactly congregate in specific neighborhoods. There is an easy way to find out where they live, though, but I'll let someone who lives up to your definition of normal give you that information.
Again, thank you for your time.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the rep, whoever gave it to me. I agree; it's sad to see silly snoots moving to Alaska.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM

Wow. Such a hissy fit. If you're this defensive over someone disagreeing with you on an obscure forum, I'd hate to see how you handle real life. No wonder you're frightened that you may end up living next to "riff raff."

By the way, I would say it in person. I think that those who use terms such as 'riff raff" are lacking in character. Sorry that's so hard for you to handle, but there it is.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:16 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,317 times
Well, I have to butt in here in defense of Met - who is one of the hardest working long-time Alaskans with much to offer, albiet at times you need to read between the lines. We ALL are sick to death of the deluge of yuppie city folk bringing their 'down south' attitudes and regulations up here in an attempt to make Alaska just like the garbage dump they left behind. Since Juneau is full of polititians I'm sure you'll find your social nitch. The rest of southeast Alaska's population consists mostly of "riff raff" who live in extra-tuffs, helly hansens, smell of fish guts and say bad words. I doubt you'll like us.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lis6 View Post
Thanks, akck... again, exactly what I was looking for. I did read a little about Lemon Creek, and I was wondering about that. Schools nearby is definitely a perk. Although he is young now, that time will fly I guess what I was asking, is if a whole apartment complex was attracted any bad. We get the 'fun' neighbors where I am at right now, and that is a-ok. I'm not sure why people flock to areas here, but they just do. Yes, the James Blvd bite was an apartment. My fiance was asked to apply to a maintenance position there, so that is why that one specifically came up. Yeah, MD knows how to rob ya in living expenses. Between that, and taxes, it's definitely crazy times. Thanks for the information- again, a huge help!
Your best bet is to get here and see the apartment. You'll get an idea on how good or bad it is from how well the area is kept. Depending on your moving package, I'd look into an extended stay hotel. That way you can look around first. Chances are your first apartment/house here won't be your last. Oh, and if you have a pet, that really limits your choices.

James Blvd is close to a "good" elementary school, so that's a plus. As to which are the good schools, that changes over time. Our kids went to a "good" elementary school. I've heard it's not as good as it used to be and one that was considered bad is now good. You have a few years before you need to worry about it.

Work location could play a factor where you might want to live. I assume you work for the feds. Your job site is likely downtown, so if you want to be close to work you'd want to limit yourself to that area. It doesn't sound like commuting is a problem now and in any case, the valley is about 20 minutes away. Today, it was 25-30 minutes because of snow. Juneau is notorious for bad winter drivers.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Oh, and by the way, I'm not going to stop posting simply because someone's whining, even if she does trip over her own feet to delete her snarlings.

What's the problem -- can't stand up for what you type?

Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Well, I have to butt in here in defense of Met - who is one of the hardest working long-time Alaskans with much to offer, albiet at times you need to read between the lines. We ALL are sick to death of the deluge of yuppie city folk bringing their 'down south' attitudes and regulations up here in an attempt to make Alaska just like the garbage dump they left behind. Since Juneau is full of polititians I'm sure you'll find your social nitch. The rest of southeast Alaska's population consists mostly of "riff raff" who live in extra-tuffs, helly hansens, smell of fish guts and say bad words. I doubt you'll like us.
Oh I know. That type has pretty much ruined Juneau, although they do add an amusement factor, I suppose. Funny how she ran to delete her posts soon after you made yours. Guess she can't take responsibility for her snarlings.

Thanks. Those who want to bring their garbage dumps with them are the true riff raff, but you already know that.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM

Smile Thx, akck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Your best bet is to get here and see the apartment. You'll get an idea on how good or bad it is from how well the area is kept. Depending on your moving package, I'd look into an extended stay hotel. That way you can look around first. Chances are your first apartment/house here won't be your last. Oh, and if you have a pet, that really limits your choices.

James Blvd is close to a "good" elementary school, so that's a plus. As to which are the good schools, that changes over time. Our kids went to a "good" elementary school. I've heard it's not as good as it used to be and one that was considered bad is now good. You have a few years before you need to worry about it.

Work location could play a factor where you might want to live. I assume you work for the feds. Your job site is likely downtown, so if you want to be close to work you'd want to limit yourself to that area. It doesn't sound like commuting is a problem now and in any case, the valley is about 20 minutes away. Today, it was 25-30 minutes because of snow. Juneau is notorious for bad winter drivers.
Thanks a bunch, and yes, I will be working downtown. We did see a place or two downtown online, but since his job offer was in the other apartments mentioned, we were interested in that area. However, that could totally change as we wait to hear. Our original plan was for him to stay home with the baby until we were acclimated. From what I could see (Google street view), they look really nice from the outside. Right off of the road, but we are used to that.

You got it... I am used to driving 110 miles round trip every day, so even that commute is okay with me. Yep, he is coming up on 1 year old in February, so we definitely have quite a bit before school adventures. Also, noted on the drivers. The drivers here seem to go bananas over a drop of rain.

Thanks for understanding and being a wealth of information. It's all I've had, thus far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska