Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:00 PM

25 posts, read 49,066 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I saw this article in USA Today (FDA: Genetically engineered fish would not harm nature) and thought of the thousands of people (as well as millions of critters) in Alaska that depend on Salmon. It's mentioned that:
"AquaBounty has maintained that the fish is safe and that there are several safeguards against environmental problems. The fish would be bred female and sterile, though a very small percentage might still be able to breed. The company said the potential for escape is low. The FDA backed these assertions in documents released in 2010."

Then I read another article from a differing view point here: FDA Pushes to Release Genetically Modified Salmon into Environment which mentions:
"Mutated by scientists to grow twice as fast as a normal salmon through the manipulation of the animal’s genetic code, the genetically modified salmon created by the company AquAdvantage was actually blocked for approval by Congress back in 2011 due to serious health concerns."

If you choose to read both articles, I'd really like to hear your assessment and how this might affect your local economy, health, and any thing else.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
It's estimated that five percent of the eggs produces by these things will be fertile.

It's a flippin' nightmare. Competition for the salmon market is unbelievably intense. Yeah, we all know that these things will be raised inland, right, no danger of them "escaping" into the wild...until one day some lackey boards a plane for a few grand and leaves something in several obscure salmon spawning streams around the state. Four years later and the wild runs no longer exist.

Or not. Chances are that it'll happen sooner or later, though.

The production of traditional farmed salmon was actually beneficial to the wild industry for the most part. Not many people are going to want to buy this stuff on the market; however, labeling laws may ensure that they don't know what they're getting.

British Columbia's fish farms did have a few negative effects on Alaska's wild runs but for the most part it was marginal.

I don't know what'll happen to Alaska's industry, but I can tell you that these things are no competition on the market. People who purchase wild fish do so because they're able and willing to pay for quality; they're hardly bargain shoppers. Low Frankenfish prices won't tempt them but will act as a deterrent instead -- could even drive wild fish prices up even more. And there are always those willing to pay; our market never was the masses anyway. That's what a lot of people don't get -- fiscal success isn't necessarily dependent on being the market's lowest common denominator.

We live in a Wal*Mart culture where a lot of people think that undercutting the competitor is the only way to do business, but niche markets exist that cannot be replaced by mass produced mediocrity. The farmed fish industry is more likely to suffer financially from this than we are; that has to do with labeling regulations.

The threat to the wild industry lies in whether these things end up in the wild. Eventually, they probably will, but it won't be by accidental escape. If anyone is interested in how this could potentially devastate the wild runs, do some research on salmon behavior and pay special attention to what happens to rival eggs in spawning grounds.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-27-2012 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 11:12 PM

By the way, there are only two or three regular posters here (and that's probably a gross overestimate) who could even begin to offer anything but an uneducated knee-jerk style response to the question posed in the OP. We have state workers, oil workers, retired people, welfare bums and health care professionals here, but those actually involved in the seafood industry in any capacity are not well-represented.

It's highly possible, however, that those who aren't even able to tell a chum from a king salmon will chime in with their assorted lame BS and further contribute to the abundance of misinformation that this forum is becoming known for.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:38 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,716,892 times
I don't know salmon the way other here do, but I can tell you I wont buy it, I wont eat it and I can't see how this could be any good at all for the environment.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I don't know salmon the way other here do, but I can tell you I wont buy it, I wont eat it and I can't see how this could be any good at all for the environment.
A lot of people feel this way about it; consumers like you who care about what you feed your family.

Salmon labeling laws vary by state, but for the most part, farmed salmon needs to be labeled as having added dyes and hormones. Unless things have changed recently, it's my understanding that this genetically engineered salmon will not legally be required to be labeled as such. They of course won't be able to label it as wild salmon, but they won't be required to differentiate it from standard farmed salmon. People who believe they are buying farmed salmon could end up with Frankenfish without even knowing it.

For whatever it's worth, this stuff is likely to be marketed primarily in other countries.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,886,698 times
We have welfare bums on here? I don't know of any unless it is a random poster wondering if their subsidized housing voucher will transfer to Anchorage.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:07 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
I'm doing my best to avoid Frankenfoods of all kinds, including hormone infested milk. I think these companies are sickening and there's no telling what the effects will be down the line.

Though I am kind of used to the second head I grew...we talk at night.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 AM

96 posts, read 221,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I'm doing my best to avoid Frankenfoods of all kinds, including hormone infested milk. I think these companies are sickening and there's no telling what the effects will be down the line.

Though I am kind of used to the second head I grew...we talk at night.
If you are not familiar with the Cornucopia Institute you should have a look at their website - lots of good info on trying to mandate GMO labeling, etc.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:25 AM

206 posts, read 570,955 times
You rang?
Rattle on folks.
As in all forums, blabbering, because you have nothing better to do.
Americans will simply plod on through their lives accepting what their government dishes out.
As each administration comes and goes, you can bet the farm, all aspects of the citizens lives will be increasingly controlled by their government.
This same government will happily allow you all to vent on forums.
Talk is cheap!
There are already many GM foods in production in this country.
You, of course, will ignore, belittle, vilify, any comments from people like me.
It's too late people.
While you "discuss", your government "acts".
Mmmmmm. My breakfast of GM salmon, on a GM bagel, and GM cream cheese.
It don't get no better than this

Last edited by gggjfg; 12-28-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
You rang?
Rattle on folks.
As in all forums, blabbering, because you have nothing better to do.
Americans will simply plod on through their lives accepting what their government dishes out.
As each administration comes and goes, you can bet the farm, all aspects of the citizens lives will be increasingly controlled by their government.
This same government will happily allow you all to vent on forums.
Talk is cheap!
There are already many GM foods in production in this country.
You, of course, will ignore, belittle, vilify, any comments from people like me.
It's too late people.
While you "discuss", your government "acts".
Mmmmmm. My breakfast of GM salmon, on a GM bagel, and GM cream cheese.
It don't get no better than this
Wow, thank you. I feel blessed and enlightened now that you've come down from on high to give the gift of your wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska