Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
[url=http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/27/16192955-bioethicist-frankenfish-far-less-scary-than-fast-food?lite]

When I go to McD's I know exactly what I'll be eating: Chit food that's labeled. In the case of GM fish, I'll have no idea if I'm buying a salmon caught in one of the oceans or a GM fish raised in a lab run by Boris Karloff.

Not exactly. Labeling laws vary by state, but I think it's pretty standard now that some indication has to be given on the label whether the fish has been farmed. Not sure where you live, but you'll be able to avoid purchasing this stuff with a little effort if it ever gets to your local market. The simplest way will be to not buy Atlantic salmon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A couple of months ago the news was about GM corn and how Russia and other countries did not want to import GM corn from the US. So, it seems that the US is not only producing GM corn, but now is allowing for GM salmon.

(Search, "problems with US GM corn")

Be careful with the corn chips and fish, RedJacket
My diet consists primarily of beer and pickled pigs feet.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not exactly. Labeling laws vary by state, but I think it's pretty standard now that some indication has to be given on the label whether the fish has been farmed. Not sure where you live, but you'll be able to avoid purchasing this stuff with a little effort if it ever gets to your local market. The simplest way will be to not buy Atlantic salmon.
I live in WI and I can't eat fish which would make my opposition to GM salmon seem somewhat hypocritical. However, my concern is that if these Frankenfish do make their way to the market then what comes next? A Dairy Cow that grows to 1500 lbs in six months and produces 500 gallons of red, white, and blue milk every single day?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 PM

287 posts, read 599,032 times
Quote:
I live in WI and I can't eat fish which would make my opposition to GM salmon seem somewhat hypocritical. However, my concern is that if these Frankenfish do make their way to the market then what comes next? A Dairy Cow that grows to 1500 lbs in six months and produces 500 gallons of red, white, and blue milk every single day?
Oh they already have that - chicken and turkeys are modified to grow very rapidly so they can get a fast turnover.

I'm sure cows have been bread the same way.

How good do you really think this crap is for us as consumers?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
My diet consists primarily of beer and pickled pigs feet.
Yum, yum

Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Not only that, but as some of us old men mature and lose pectoral muscle, the GM stuff can probably turn the things into male breasts. That would be real scary to our grandkids, so better keep them hidden

AND, chest x-rays in front of the female assistant would be out of the question, of course.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I would not be so certain about that. It is a huge scam in the lower-48 to label farmed salmon as wild Alaskan salmon. The grocery stores and restaurants performing this scam can charge more, give the ignorant consumer an inferior product, and make a fortune. Meanwhile Alaska gets a bad reputation for the deliberately mislabeled horrendous tasting and far more unhealthy farmed fish.

NY Times Calls Wild Salmon a Gamble for Consumers
Salmon Fraud: Say It Isn

Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Not only that, but as some of us old men mature and lose pectoral muscle, the GM stuff can probably turn the things into male breasts. That would be real scary to our grandkids, so better keep them hidden

AND, chest x-rays in front of the female assistant would be out of the question, of course.
Simple solution: Eat more red meat and do more push-ups and bench-press exercises.

Use'em or lose'em.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I would not be so certain about that. It is a huge scam in the lower-48 to label farmed salmon as wild Alaskan salmon. The grocery stores and restaurants performing this scam can charge more, give the ignorant consumer an inferior product, and make a fortune. Meanwhile Alaska gets a bad reputation for the deliberately mislabeled horrendous tasting and far more unhealthy farmed fish.

NY Times Calls Wild Salmon a Gamble for Consumers
Salmon Fraud: Say It Isn

Yeah, there was also a scandal a couple of years ago about how some processor was selling dog salmon as coho or something -- can't recall the details. I think some of the Seattle street food carts were selling items prepared with farmed salmon and claiming it was wild. Some restaurants do it....

there was one in LA a few years ago that was accused of doing it because they had fresh Alaskan king salmon on their menu at some point during the winter. Some food columnist from the LA times claimed it was farmed because fresh king isn't available during the winter. Except that it is, down in southern SE where some of the old timers still fish for winter kings.

Consumers who want to minimize their chances of getting duped can protect themselves in a couple of different ways. Because the skin of farmed salmon is grey when it is harvested, they feed it internal dyes before putting it on the market. It looks dyed, orange-ish, unreal. You know how you can tell when a woman or man has a head of dyed hair? Same sort of thing. It's the sort of orange color that you don't see in the wild. They also feed farmed salmon something that makes their flesh turn orange, and it's a synthetic version of what gives salmon color in the wild. It's also an off-orange.

There will also be a gloss to wild salmon -- if it's fresh.

Like this:

Or maybe this:

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-29-2012 at 10:56 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 PM

If it's red salmon, the color is going to remind you of jewels. Like this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska