Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 02:49 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times

Advertisements

My wife has a close friend she grew up with in Coos Bay Oregon from early childhood, who moved to Alaska about 35 years ago.

We are considering a bike trip this summer to Ninilchik (sp). The bike is not an issue because at 110 cubic inches and a 100 HP V-Twin, we will be able to take enough gear to enjoy the ride.

What I am wonering about is the roads and the best route. I know others who have biked it all the way with Street Bikes, and my Sister lived up there for awhile with a street bike. My wife has been there a few times but she took the ferry.

Any sugestions?

We also have an F-350 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 4X4 with a fullsize Alaskin Rated Cabover Camper. If you don't think the bike is the way to go, how are diesel prices along the way? I have never been north of Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,036,558 times
Take the bike...but take it easy.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,618,673 times
You'll definitely want to pick up a copy of The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner . I know there's a lot of people that ride their bikes up. There was an Hoka Hey ride from Florida to Alaska a few years back. Hoka Hey Motorcycle Challenge
The basic route would be I-5 to Bellingham, and then cut over to Sumas, WA to cross the border. Then Highway 1 to Cache Creek. Then Highway 97 to Prince George, then Fort St. John, then Watson Lake, Whitehorse then Haines Junction then Beaver Creek. You'll then cross the border and at Tok turn south to Glennallen, then Anchorage and then south to Ninilchik.
Here's the google map link: Portland, OR to Ninilchik, AK - Google Maps

Roads will be paved the whole way, except in construction areas.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:29 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,718,279 times
Man, I saw this on top of the Alaska forums from the front page. Came from CA to say have fun and be safe. Sounds awesome.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
AK Stafford. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
A trip like that is definitely on my bucket list.

For much much more on the topic, search for 'advrider.' There are dozens of Alaska motorcycle trip reports there, and tons of free advice. One guy rode all the way to Prudhoe Bay on a Victory!

It's sometimes easy for us on the West Coast to assume that Alaska is right next door, but actually the trip you're planning is like going to the East Coast and back. If/when I do it, I'll want to take 3 weeks minimum. And lots of money.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
This is a good read.

Motorcycle Journey- Mount Saint Helens via Crater Lake, Oregon | Pashnit.com

Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
If you are a motorcycle rider you will not be happy just taking the truck.

From my last summer trip, seemed like diesel was running very close to regular in Canada. Sometimes it was even a few cents a liter less than regular. However, prices fluctuate like crazy so who knows what they will be like when you do your trip. In USA prices I saw anywhere from low $4 a gal to almost $8. $8 being in the more remote areas of northern Canada. Fuel was $3.89 in Tok, Ak for comparison. Alberta province had the least expensive fuel....

Old 03-07-2013, 06:15 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
My wife has a close friend she grew up with in Coos Bay Oregon from early childhood, who moved to Alaska about 35 years ago.

We are considering a bike trip this summer to Ninilchik (sp). The bike is not an issue because at 110 cubic inches and a 100 HP V-Twin, we will be able to take enough gear to enjoy the ride.

What I am wonering about is the roads and the best route. I know others who have biked it all the way with Street Bikes, and my Sister lived up there for awhile with a street bike. My wife has been there a few times but she took the ferry.

Any sugestions?

We also have an F-350 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab 4X4 with a fullsize Alaskin Rated Cabover Camper. If you don't think the bike is the way to go, how are diesel prices along the way? I have never been north of Seattle.
That sounds like a wonderful trip. I would suggest you time your trip to coincide with Memorial Day weekend for two reasons:
  1. Most of the RV traffic comes up the ALCAN Highway in June; and
  2. That is also opening weekend for King salmon season on the Ninilchik River.
It all depends on your comfort level with long distance driving on your bike. If you have not already, you might consider a couple 500 mile treks on your bike to get an idea what it is like. Driving 8 to 10 hours straight in an enclosed vehicle is one thing, attempting to cover the same distance on a motorcycle is something entirely different.

It may not feel like much, but you are constantly using muscles to combat the force of the winds. It will take a toll after several hours. You are going to feel like you are still on the road hours after you stop because those muscles are still working. Personally, I needed to stop every two hours or so in order to get feeling back into my butt.

On the plus side, I enjoyed the trip so much I did not want it to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
If you are a motorcycle rider you will not be happy just taking the truck.

From my last summer trip, seemed like diesel was running very close to regular in Canada. Sometimes it was even a few cents a liter less than regular. However, prices fluctuate like crazy so who knows what they will be like when you do your trip. In USA prices I saw anywhere from low $4 a gal to almost $8. $8 being in the more remote areas of northern Canada. Fuel was $3.89 in Tok, Ak for comparison. Alberta province had the least expensive fuel....
As a biker he should be concerned about the road conditions. I know I was.

There are a lot of other regular posters, like Warptman, who can describe the road conditions of the ALCAN far better than I. I have not left Alaska since the day I arrived.

However, as every Alaskan driver knows, our highways (depending on location) can be hazardous for four-wheeled vehicles, much less the two-wheeled variety. Not just the left-over gravel in the road from the previous winter, but all the sudden unmarked frost-heaves that freshly appeared during the last winter, and the cavernous pot-holes.

Let us face reality, unless it is very well traveled section of the highway, the majority of Alaska's highways (all seven of them) SUCK!

This is not a reflection of the Alaska Department of Transportation. They do a very commendable and difficult job. This has to do with the nature of Alaska. Avalanches, rock slides, typhoons, and constant earthquakes are going to take a toll on any road system.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 PM

182 posts, read 478,594 times
Enjoy the bike but be aware of some rough sections. Rancheria region had a major wash out last summer and it is about 5 miles of rough stretch. Just this last spring 2012 they resurfaced the road a majority of the area from Haines Junction to Beaver Creek/ Canadian Customs.

Many motorcycles along the route. They had no problems. Just be sure to have a spare fuel or know your tank distance to volume. I know some bikes get excellent MPG but have hardly any fuel for the trip and when you could ride the bike north you would have fuel at most places easily. But a little 1 to 2.5 gallon jug if you are towing a small trailer behind would be nifty planning. Most bikes I saw had one tied on to the back. Keep it empty till you get to Fort Saint John. But definitely have it for after Fort Nelson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska