Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,454 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few posts on here regarding similar information. Most see pretty old so I thought I'd get some up to date information. Here's my story:

My Girlfriend and I are possible going to be moving up to Annette Island. She had an interview with the school district at a job fair in Portland. We've looked online at the area, looks very beautiful but also very small. Curious if anyone would give us information about Housing, job market for me, activities and such that are available on the Island.

We don't know a lot about Alaska or the area in general but are pretty excited of the prospect of moving up North.

Thanks you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Well keep an open mind when you get there, you're not in Oregon anymore and enjoy yourselves, there are a lot of good people there and like anywhere else there are a few bad ones.

I would assume the school system may have housing for the teachers, not all do, but there is a few that do in the smaller towns. But if not, there is aways someone there to help you find a place to live.

Not a lot to do like in the bigger cities, but there is a lot to do that is very different from what you're use to.

Maybe plan on getting a small skiff or a couple of Kayaks to explore the Coastal areas, you will see a lot of wildlife along the beaches that way.

As far as jobs, if you are a self starter and have a skill that applies, I've found that finding paying jobs in most Alaska rural towns is pretty good for those with ambition. But that really depends on the individual.

If you make it there, keep us up on what your adventures are there!

You'll find there is a lot of people from that area the will help you with more info with your questions.

Very lovely place to live.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Good luck ( I don't live there despite my user nick; please don't ask).

I don't know of anyone who posts here who is from Metlakatla, sorry. It's a little different from the rest of SE.

Jobs are gonna be tough for you there. There is very little money in the community. The people are nice, but bring lots of books.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
Is there any chance you can fly up and check things out before making the commitment to make the expensive move?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,836 times
You need to visit before you commit. It can be wonderful or it can be horrible - depends on how you fit in with the environment and community. If I's from Oregon I"d never move to any remote Alaska villiage without visiting first, especially Metlakatla. just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska