Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
"Anthropological Climate Change" is indeed a "left/right thing." After all, it was this very same administration that believes "you never want a serious crisis to go to waste." Democrats use the natural occurring climate changes to increase the size and scope of government by blaming the "crisis" on human activity.

It is not always about money either. Power is an equally strong motivator. If they can use "Anthropological Climate Change" as an excuse to gain more power, or exert more control, that could prove to be as equally motivating as money.

Coal and oil burning power plants are not going to have any effect on the global climate, even if they are extremely dirty (which is not the case today in the US, but it is in China as you pointed out). The reason is because none of their pollution makes it into the stratosphere. All the pollution mankind has put into the atmosphere has been limited to the troposphere, where it eventually gets washed out of the atmosphere in a matter of weeks. We can certainly make life miserable for us locally due to unchecked pollution, but we are not going to effect the global climate.

I would like to see coal burning power plants in the Valley, since we have a lot more coal in the Mat-Su Valley than we have natural gas. It would significantly lower the cost of energy. However, society has been so brainwashed by the "Anthropological Climate Change" doomsayers I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

I am not sure what keeping one's yard mowed has to do with anything. I do not have a lawn, my yard is entirely natural with lots of alder, birch, some spruce, fireweed, and lots of other weeds (but no Devil's Club). I just make sure that 30 feet around the house is clear of vegetation to reduce the risk of fire, otherwise my yard looks like everywhere else in Alaska. The only grass I have in my yard is blown in from my neighbor's yards.

I also burn all my paper, cardboard, and wood trash in my burn-barrel. The rest of my household trash goes to the landfill. Once a year I empty the ash in my burn-barrel by spreading it across my yard. In many respects this is similar to what natural forest fires do, and it indirectly helps improve the content of the soil by adding calcium carbonate, potassium, phosphorus, iron, boron, manganese, and copper. When mixed with other dead organic material it helps transform the clay in my yard to top soil.
Well most coal plants in the US have stack scrubbers that unlike the 1950's put out hardly any particulates and what most people view as "Smoke", is actually steam from the moisture in either the coal or in some cases the cooling towers for cooling the condensate.

But you are correct, the majority of the sheeple believe coal plants are heavy on the pollution output because they don't do homework, they just assume people in power won't lie to them, which is done all the time.

And again you're correct that power will also drive those that promote Global Warming as well as money.

Funny thing is that in the last few years we have had a number of large asteroids pass between the Earth and moon orbit that could erase most of life on this planet and yet that is mostly ignored, because there isn't really a lot we can do about it.

Some people just want to control something and the Climate I guess makes them think they really are a god. When most are just fools with a following.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska