Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:04 PM

80 posts, read 146,456 times

Advertisements

Hey teridb, congrats on your job! Layering is incredibly important, and I personally like wool and down over some of the synthetics out there. You will keep some of your summer clothes, but you won't find anything in FL to help you gear up for the winter. You are correct, it will be cold in October!

Let's start from the bottom up:
Socks: I highly recommend wool over synthetic and I will layer with silk or wool liner first, then thicker (ensure it is not tight) sock depending on the temperature. Nothing should be tight because the heat you produce will get trapped in the space, and help you stay warm. Only your base layers should be fitted.
Footwear: I would purchase something rated -60 and colder, although that's an active temperature rating with you wearing the sock set-up listed above, so aka BS. Baffin, Sorel and Bunny Boots are a few I recommend and you can also add NEOS, which is an over boot for added warmth.
Pants: long under wear as a base, if you are outside for long periods especially inactive, you will also want a midlayer insulated pant ( ie Mountain Hardware Compressor) and then a shell (which is not insulated waterproof pant) and/or snow/ski pant over that.
Torso: long underwear as a base, mid layer jacket such as a Patagonia Nano Puff and a top layer jacket that is waterproof to sheild rain/snow and restrict wind like an REI Kimtah jacket. Women tend to get colder than men, so sometimes I wear four layers unless my top later is one of my warmest jackets. For example, I own a Mountain Hardware Sub Zero jacket when I'm winter camping and hanging out/not moving. Canada Goose makes some awesome extreme cold jackets too.
Hands: layer again with a thin liner, my favorite are Outdoor Research 400 liner gloves and a thicker mitt that is water resistant or water proof.
Head: Balaclava, goggles, warm hat. I love my Mad Bomber hat.

Some folks will say you'll get too hot with the waterproof stuff, but I find that most gals don't get hot and sweat that much, making the whole dressing process counter productive. You may end up needing to gear test what kind of layering system will work best for you, and the above brands are just examples and if you can find "like" products, you should be good.

Online stores that will have gear are Sierra Trading Post, Eastern Mountain Sports, LL Bean, REI, Cabela's (we have the latter two here) and other local Anchorage stores also include Sportman's Warehouse, AMH, B & Js. You may want to wait until you can have some here outfit you, or start shopping online because it's going to be expensive. One trick to saving money is buying kids base layers, buying last years' models and going online to shops that sell at a discount like Sierra Trading Post or Back Country.com

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:08 PM

33 posts, read 48,369 times
Thank you for all of the great information! I will be arriving in Kotzebue on Halloween and it looks like there should already be snow on the ground. I have everything suggested except boots and I will be buying those in Denver on my way! Started listening to theological radio station to get a feel for the village. It is quite different from where I come from, I can't wait for the adventure to begin.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:09 PM

That should read "the local" radio station. My kindle has a mind of its own

Old 10-17-2014, 07:52 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teridb View Post
Thank you for all of the great information! I will be arriving in Kotzebue on Halloween and it looks like there should already be snow on the ground. I have everything suggested except boots and I will be buying those in Denver on my way! Started listening to theological radio station to get a feel for the village. It is quite different from where I come from, I can't wait for the adventure to begin.
I know people in Kotz. Make sure to look of Lance Kramer and his family. Good people.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:34 AM

4 posts, read 6,336 times
I would still say you should go for wool. Better to choose something which is hypoallergic also. So, take care while selecting winter wears.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:12 PM

251 posts, read 706,514 times
Good on you for making a leap of faith.
Please remember to layer your clothing, keep dry and have a good frame of mind.
I came from a warm and humid environment and am happy living in the Arctic; you can be too.
Just be reasonable and remember that recreation is more than an outdoor activity that you may be used to.
(Learn to snowshoe!)

Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 AM

77 posts, read 104,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Don't get me started on the price of fuel though, lol.

Coming from houston and planning a move to anchorage within the next two years. I have a theory that I belie will be accurate about the inflated fuel costs equaling out to about the same as houston once I get there. Houston is a whopping approx. 750 sq miles. I currently drive about a hundred miles per day for work. So even though I am paying $3.69/gal for supreme, and I'm sure it's a substantial about higher up there, with the amount of driving I will be needing to do up there being much less, I believe the money I will spend on gas will be about the same, if not less there just due to the large difference in miles driven from houston compared to in anchorage.

But please, correct me if my theory is wrong. I would hate to believe it's true, only to get up there and be shocked.

Ps, as for the move, I am taking at least one vacation out there before the move. Which will be a thre to four week trip. And most likely a few more before the actual move.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:01 PM

I am finally here! It is just amazing. Lots looks really ramshackle from the outside but everywhere I have been has been great. The people are nice and as forewarned a bit distant but that's ok. I live my job at the hospital. I've met two people from my same area of Florida who came as travellers and chose to stay so that is positive. I am sure there would be severe culture shock for most people but I truly came with a completely open mind. I spent a few days in Denver to see friends and purchase winter outer clothes. Got a lit of great deals at the Army/Navy store. Went with merino wool thermal socks, ranger boots rated at -50 and termites gloves. I was gifted with a down parka rated to -20 which so far has been great (actually a bit hot). I have been walking everywhere and with the exception of the day the typhoons passed by it has been no problem. I haven't used my balaclava yet but of course it's not yet winter. Grocery shock has been the only real issue - I sent myself staples but they aren't here until Thursday. I will probably have family send quarterly boxes unless the Amazon option is cheaper. Selection is a bigger problem than cost. If I had a freezer it would help. Thank you to everyone for your advise! I signed a five year contract so........ I am glad my first impression is positive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska