Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 38,423 times

Advertisements

After reading some of the post about living and teaching in Alaska I'm starting to change my opinion of teaching outside of NJ. Im doing my student teaching this winter/spring for Health/Physical Education and Im a 22 year old male. Im looking for a job for next school year, and its competitive as hell here in NJ, so I'm looking for a possibility of a teaching job in somewhere different from NJ, and hopefully with more classy girls than the ones here in jersey, even though not all of them are that bad. Any opinions anyone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njcollegekid View Post
After reading some of the post about living and teaching in Alaska I'm starting to change my opinion of teaching outside of NJ. Im doing my student teaching this winter/spring for Health/Physical Education and Im a 22 year old male. Im looking for a job for next school year, and its competitive as hell here in NJ, so I'm looking for a possibility of a teaching job in somewhere different from NJ, and hopefully with more classy girls than the ones here in jersey, even though not all of them are that bad. Any opinions anyone....
My SIL is from NJ, and is a school-teacher. From what I have heard her say, you are right: it is extremely competitive there. You will find teachers are in HIGH demand here. I have heard that teachers can often "pick and choose" jobs up here...if I were you I'd give some serious thought to moving to Ak.
(don't know about the "more classy girls" part though...)

Bud

Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
districts here in south west Alaska...

Home of LKSD Lower Kuskokwim Schools

http://www.kuskpuk.org/ (broken link) Middle Kuskokwim Schools

Lower Yukon School District - Alaska Lower Yukon Schools

Yupiit School District Yupiit Schools

Welcome to Southwest Region Schools Dillingham Area Schools

Everyone is in need of teachers!

Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 PM

5 posts, read 38,423 times
Default Reply

Yea its extremely difficult to get a job unless u know someone, especially in health and physical education, because its such an awesome job. I have some connections in my area and have a great resume, but im just curious how life is outside of NJ and I am thinking of getting outside of NJ while im still young to see what lifes like somewhere on the west coast or down south, so im looking at both right now. I just heard, as you said, that there is desperate need for teachers in alaska, but im also looking for places where I can get a descent salary for teaching, ya know...Im also looking to get into coaching football so thats also something important Im looking toward to....but yea im definitily not going anywhere though where I'll have no social life and wont have any opportunities to meet some woman near my age, thats no good, haha

Old 10-26-2007, 12:50 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,576 times
Go to www.alaskateacher.org

They list the job fairs in the lower 48 and there is one up here in anchorage in april that I think they host.
Been to it, it's fab! All of the school districts are there and if you have all of your info in order you can get a job offer right there!
Check the website to make see what you will need tests etc. They also list openings.
Good Luck!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:17 PM

48 posts, read 205,735 times
ATP is an great place to find out about teaching in Alaska. I went there back in August and already have a job lined up for next year in the NSBSD. They do really need teachers in AK but the pay isn't as good in the more populated areas. Some areas didn't pay much more than I make now in southern MS. (which is not much, if you were wondering). And the cost of living is much higher in Ak than in most of the lower 48.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:06 PM

276 posts, read 848,857 times
Thank you for sharing that link. I am going to try and go back to college while I have to stay here in Maine and get up to AK and finish and teach there. I want to get a new occupation that will benefit the state when I get there and I think teaching is the way to go for me. Any thoughts on the need for Special Ed teachers, I have wanted to do that for a long time and I van get an Assocaite degree here beforeI head there

Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
I think most schools have a spec ed class these days. Around Soldotna anyway.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:26 AM

989 posts, read 3,527,133 times
There's a reason Alaska is having a hard time finding teachers... the teachers here get treated very poorly and the pay is not very good.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:27 PM

49 posts, read 216,171 times
As an Alaskan teacher, I feel insulted by the previous post.

Let me give a second opinion.

If you're looking for a fun place to teach, I'd recommend Anchorage. We have a population of just under 300,000 and there are plenty of fun activities (night life, outdoorsy, arts & culture) for young people like yourself.
I AM a teacher in the Anchorage School District. So far in my 2-year teaching career, I have been "treated" very well. I love my co-workers and my principal is professional and supportive. ASD is such a large district that you can really choose where you want to teach... if you have what it takes to pass the interview process. (*Personal message me, and I can give you more details on that.) You can see a salary schedule on the district's website, but I think you'd start at around $40,000 in the 08-09 school year.

However, to be realistic, I have heard of teachers not being wanted/liked/respected out in SOME smaller villages in Alaska. Though, I don't think it's fair (or educated) to make a general statement about the teaching in Alaska. As a part of my teaching-education program, my university flew members of my class out to a small village in western Alaska and it was awesome! The community welcomed my classmates and me with open arms and the staff at the school was great too. I know other university classmates who flew into different villages and had different experiences. One close friend told me that the teachers at his "host school" did not support each other. He also saw little parent AND student involvement. Student attendance was low because there were many families didn't make school/education a priority. Quite honestly, you'll find similar scenarios in the big town of Anchorage, and probably everywhere else that hosts a public school!

Life is what you make it.

You're job is what you make it.

Hope that helped a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska