Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,610 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the Anchorage area in a stable job. However, I am looking for a career change. Long story short; I haven't found anything that really makes me happy to stick with as a career. I have some college education, but no degree. I have experience in recreation, mental/behavioral health, and counseling. I have my security license but really am not motivated to pursue a career in security. I am willing to travel for work. My main objective, I really want to get out of an office setting. I am adventurous, and very outdoorsy. Does anyone have any leads for me to follow up with regarding some kind of career that will meet criteria I have mentioned above?

Appreciate everyone's feedback! Thanks!

SBH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:28 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Take a look at what is offered at CoolWorks: Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com

Old 01-29-2015, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,610 times
Thank you AKStafford. I should also mention, when I do leave my job I will need to go into a full time position with a starting salary of 40k or greater. I will look into supervisory positions with the tour companies listed on that site. I was thinking of something on the slope perhaps, but I know there are some jobs not advertised and go by employee recommendations or otherwise. Again, thanks for the help. I am reaching out of the search engine results by posting here as I have spent many hours clicking through indeed, craigslost, workplace ak listings ; )
Thanks!

Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Military.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:09 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
No college degree will mean a starting salary in the military of less than $40k, most likely. Double check that, although BAH and the other benefits could make the $40k or more case.

And that assumes the OP is less than 39 years old. Over 39 you can't join - at least the active duty positions.
---

Look on Alexsys too - every once in a while I see entry level outdoor jobs posted. They also seem to be highly sought after too. So if you think you like one put in for it quickly.

My advice is to pick an outdoor career you like and get the education needed for it. No one is going to hire a field biologist without a biology background/degree. At least I wouldn't.

Sadly, I have no idea on how to break into the O&G field. Although that is an area that could see contraction if oil prices remain as low as they are now.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,312,980 times
An entry level position,... as a career,...earning 40k plus. Are you confused, or am I? Me thinks you need to reevaluate your criteria and determine what is realistic, and where you can make compromise.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:24 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
^Agree. If you can't find something to your liking that's necessarily outdoors, you could try to work less and spend time outside on your own terms.... Good luck.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
An entry level position,... as a career,...earning 40k plus. Are you confused, or am I? Me thinks you need to reevaluate your criteria and determine what is realistic, and where you can make compromise.
I was thinking the same thing. I would imagine that many people come to Alaska with this same idea and that a person would have to start as a seasonal employee like most everyone else, which does not guarantee rehire the following season by any means. Also, you would either need to secure a good enough job to be able to sustain yourself through the winter or be able to save enough summer money to get by through winters... Not to mention there are many people who earn degrees and become experts in these fields in order to get these jobs.

Maybe I'm wrong and there are some elusive all-season outdoorsy jobs around here that I'm not thinking of.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:25 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
^ Demanding 40k or more for an entry-level outdoorsy job with no degree or specific skills is wishful thinking at best. Let us know if you find something, I want one....

Old 01-29-2015, 10:50 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBH88 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am currently in the Anchorage area in a stable job. However, I am looking for a career change. Long story short; I haven't found anything that really makes me happy to stick with as a career. I have some college education, but no degree. I have experience in recreation, mental/behavioral health, and counseling. I have my security license but really am not motivated to pursue a career in security. I am willing to travel for work. My main objective, I really want to get out of an office setting. I am adventurous, and very outdoorsy. Does anyone have any leads for me to follow up with regarding some kind of career that will meet criteria I have mentioned above?

Appreciate everyone's feedback! Thanks!

SBH
Okay, I had to go back and re-read the original post after I responded above. Sorry if I sound like a *****, but it kind of sounds like you just want to bum around outside and not work. I am also adventurous, want to get out of the office, and am very outdoorsy. But I have to eat, put a roof over my head, and heat my home. So I go to work. In an office. In a facility that I'm pretty sure was built on an indian burial ground based on how crazy some people I work with act. And it's an hour's drive from my home, one way....

So yeah, I would also like to pursue a career, uh.... camping all summer and riding snowmachines all winter.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: