Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 12:47 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
The smaller villages do seem to be shrinking because of shifting dynamics. I was mainly referring to the growth villages have faced over the last century as people moved in and brought innovation. I'm convinced the same thing can happen today, which is why I listed some of the specialties villagers would like to see added to their communities. When a visionary invests money in a community and provides answers for a community's needs, people are more willing to stay. If the endeavor can provide jobs, people will flock to the community. That's how villages have grown. It simply takes people with a vision, a workable plan, and the requisite skills, capital, and leadership to see the vision to fruition.
Say what? Are you aware that the average unemployment rate in most villages of the interior of Alaska is from 15% to 20%? It means that is some of these villages the unemployment rate is a lot higher. The only way the majority of some village residents can make it out there is with government assistance. A lot of people out there live way under the poverty line, with no jobs, plumbing, no sewage, no water piped to the house, and barely any electricity to no electricity at all in some places.

And please understand that I have nothing against those who need government assistance receiving it. And now that the Alaska economy is in a downturn because the price of oil, it's even harder for a lot of families that live far from the major cities, or from areas where there is oil production, or fishing and tourism. When you look at the map below, you will notice that the smaller villages in the interior of Alaska are not even shown (there are no jobs there).
http://labor.alaska.gov/research/uimap/map.pdf

A final note: in reality a great majority of the labor force in Alaska is comprised of non Natives. Poverty is quite tough for lots of Native communities out there.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-30-2015 at 01:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 01:05 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Modern era villages have historically grown (especially economically) when outsiders moved in, bringing innovation and entrepreneurship. Unfortunately, such people are often resented. The villages in which I lived always seemed to be able to absorb outsiders.

My view regarding unemployment figures and government assistance are definitely not politically correct, so I'll leave those issues for others to draw their own conclusions.
That's an interesting statement. I wonder which villages you're talking about.

Although not technically a "village," take a look at what's happened in Skagway. Outsiders have moved there in drove and opened all sorts of businesses. But...the population continues to decrease. The same thing has happened all over SE Alaska.

Quote:
Some of the larger hubs are growing I believe. It's your smaller more remote locations with no economic future that are shrinking.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:06 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,387,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Say what? Are you aware that the average unemployment rate in most villages of the interior of Alaska is from 15% to 20%? It means that is some of these villages the unemployment rate is a lot higher. The only way the majority of some village residents can make it out there is with government assistance. A lot of people out there live way under the poverty line, with no jobs, plumbing, no sewage, no water piped to the house, and barely any electricity to no electricity at all in some places.

And please understand that I have nothing against those who need government assistance receiving it. And now that the Alaska economy is in a downturn because the price of oil, it's even harder for a lot of families that live far from the major cities, or from areas where there is oil production, or fishing and tourism. When you look at the map below, you will notice that the smaller villages in the interior of Alaska are not even shown (there are no jobs there).
http://labor.alaska.gov/research/uimap/map.pdf

A final note: in reality a great majority of the labor force in Alaska is comprised of non Natives. Poverty is quite tough for lots of Native communities out there.
Did you miss the part where I said I was referring to historical trends and my belief that villages have the opportunity to grow if the right people move in? Of course things are tougher now; the entire country is struggling.

I lived in Alaska for 21 years, 16 of which were spend in the off-road Bush. One community I lived in was Bethel, a major hub for smaller communities. The other was a much smaller village, which I won't name in order to keep some degree of anonymity. I'm extremely aware of the problems facing Bush communities. Bethel grew during my years there, while my last community shrank, seemed to be on the road to recovery, but is likely to shrink significantly due to a blow to the local economy. While I'm not familiar with every village in the state, I'm not convinced living conditions are quite as dire as you've presented. My husband traveled extensively throughout the state with his job, and he didn't encounter what you've described. I won't dispute that some communities face infrastructure problems, but there are safety nets out there.

There are definitely more opportunities for growth in the larger hubs. However, some of the villages started out small, grew as outsiders brought innovation, healthcare, and education, and proceeded to shrink as the innovators and entrepreneurs retired or moved away. There seems to be an ebb and flow in the smaller communities, largely associated with whoever lives there at the time and the amount of effort they put toward innovation, entrepreneurship, and government lobbying. I base this on books I've read detailing the history of various areas, talks with Natives who were life-long residents, historians and educators with whom I've interacted, and--of course--personal experience.

There are primarily two reasons for Native unemployment--lifestyle and lack of education. Employers in my communities would often lament the poor work ethic of Natives, who felt they could work whatever hours they pleased, and would show up for work late or not at all, with no notice, because they were practicing a traditional lifestyle. They were stuck between two worlds and two cultures. However, I believe some workers (not all) used that as an excuse to get away with poor behavior. Education was also a big factor for employers, especially concerning the older Natives who had grown up in an era when educational opportunities were scarce. However, even the younger Natives, who have had equal educational opportunities for decades, generally don't proceed far academically or perform well when in school. A huge part of this is family influence. Without good skills, the Native population has limited employment opportunities. However, in my small village, they were employed if they chose to work. Villages are pretty good at taking care of those within their communities, and employers and others within the community try to make sure there is opportunity. In addition, there is an excellent culture of sharing. The people of my village were very generous.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:33 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
I doubt you understand the cost of doing business in remote environments.

Sure, some villages could use the services you've mentioned in a previous post, but the money isn't there. Some places just aren't meant to sustain much human population.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-30-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 05-30-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Did you miss the part where I said I was referring to historical trends and my belief that villages have the opportunity to grow if the right people move in? Of course things are tougher now; the entire country is struggling.

I lived in Alaska for 21 years, 16 of which were spend in the off-road Bush. One community I lived in was Bethel, a major hub for smaller communities. The other was a much smaller village, which I won't name in order to keep some degree of anonymity. I'm extremely aware of the problems facing Bush communities. Bethel grew during my years there, while my last community shrank, seemed to be on the road to recovery, but is likely to shrink significantly due to a blow to the local economy. While I'm not familiar with every village in the state, I'm not convinced living conditions are quite as dire as you've presented. My husband traveled extensively throughout the state with his job, and he didn't encounter what you've described. I won't dispute that some communities face infrastructure problems, but there are safety nets out there.

There are definitely more opportunities for growth in the larger hubs. However, some of the villages started out small, grew as outsiders brought innovation, healthcare, and education, and proceeded to shrink as the innovators and entrepreneurs retired or moved away. There seems to be an ebb and flow in the smaller communities, largely associated with whoever lives there at the time and the amount of effort they put toward innovation, entrepreneurship, and government lobbying. I base this on books I've read detailing the history of various areas, talks with Natives who were life-long residents, historians and educators with whom I've interacted, and--of course--personal experience.

There are primarily two reasons for Native unemployment--lifestyle and lack of education. Employers in my communities would often lament the poor work ethic of Natives, who felt they could work whatever hours they pleased, and would show up for work late or not at all, with no notice, because they were practicing a traditional lifestyle. They were stuck between two worlds and two cultures. However, I believe some workers (not all) used that as an excuse to get away with poor behavior. Education was also a big factor for employers, especially concerning the older Natives who had grown up in an era when educational opportunities were scarce. However, even the younger Natives, who have had equal educational opportunities for decades, generally don't proceed far academically or perform well when in school. A huge part of this is family influence. Without good skills, the Native population has limited employment opportunities. However, in my small village, they were employed if they chose to work. Villages are pretty good at taking care of those within their communities, and employers and others within the community try to make sure there is opportunity. In addition, there is an excellent culture of sharing. The people of my village were very generous.
I understand and agree with some of the things you are saying, but in reality things aren't that way nowadays in most of the villages in the interior of Alaska.

Maybe in some small village out there you experienced some of the work ethics you have mentioned above, but in Fairbanks, I haven't. Through the years I have had several Native students from UAF working with me, and they have been outstanding. Most graduate and don't leave Fairbanks, probably because there is to work waiting for them at their villages. Some of my coworkers are Native and friends.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-30-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I doubt you understand the cost of doing business in remote environments.

Sure, some villages could use the services you've mentioned in a previous post, but the money isn't there. Some places just aren't meant to sustain much human population.
It's interesting that you and Ray think I'm a total idiot when I lived in the Bush for 16 years. I only left two and a half years ago.

Of course I understand the cost of doing business in remote communities. I even understand the cost of living in remote communities! You seem to not comprehend the idea of outsiders bringing their money to the community and investing in the community. If the right businessperson did this, the economy could grow. Bethel grew because people did exactly that. Businessmen saw a need and invested their own money to make life better. Even smaller villages have people who start service business and employ members of the community. Yes, people have to pay for the service, but there is one or two new jobs created, so another person or two have extra money to help support the next business that comes to town.

I'll believe there is no money in the villages when those "without money" are no longer making more trips into Anchorage or Fairbanks than I did. If that happens, the airlines servicing the communities will reduce flights. So far, I haven't seen that happen in my former community.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I understand and agree with some of the things you are saying, but in reality things aren't that way nowadays in most of the villages in the interior of Alaska.

Maybe in some small village out there you experienced some of the work ethics you have mentioned above, but in Fairbanks, I haven't. Through the years I have had several Native students from UAF working with me, and they have been outstanding. Most graduate and don't leave Fairbanks, probably because there is to work waiting for them at their villages. Some of my coworkers are Native and friends.
The difference in work ethics is likely due to the personality differences of those who leave the community and those who stay in the village. In the big city, they would never get away with such sloppy work ethics. However, in the remote communities, most have family and friends who will help support them if they get fired. In smaller communities, they may stay employed because they are at least a body who can take the burden off the owner from time to time. Like I said, villages tend to take care of their own.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
It's interesting that you and Ray think I'm a total idiot when I lived in the Bush for 16 years. I only left two and a half years ago.

Of course I understand the cost of doing business in remote communities. I even understand the cost of living in remote communities! You seem to not comprehend the idea of outsiders bringing their money to the community and investing in the community. If the right businessperson did this, the economy could grow. Bethel grew because people did exactly that. Businessmen saw a need and invested their own money to make life better. Even smaller villages have people who start service business and employ members of the community. Yes, people have to pay for the service, but there is one or two new jobs created, so another person or two have extra money to help support the next business that comes to town.

I'll believe there is no money in the villages when those "without money" are no longer making more trips into Anchorage or Fairbanks than I did. If that happens, the airlines servicing the communities will reduce flights. So far, I haven't seen that happen in my former community.
Well, I don't know what to tell you, because there is no way an outsider could come into a small village and "invest" in the community unless there is a profit to be made. That's why the State and Federal Governments provide public assistance, and this money comes from tax-paying Americans.

As I mentioned before, the smaller villages don't even have an infrastructure, nothing.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-30-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't know what to tell you, because there is no way an outsider could come into a small village and "invest" in the community unless there is a profit to be made. That's why the State and Federal Governments provide public assistance, and this money comes from tax-paying Americans.

As I mentioned before, the smaller villages don't even have an infrastructure, nothing.

What are you considering a small village? If you could give an example, by name, then perhaps we won't be talking in circles.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
What are you considering a small village? If you could give an example, by name, then perhaps we won't be talking in circles.
Tanana, for example, is surrounded by villages. How about Rampart, or maybe Minto, Huslia? A village is not just a town where there are roads, electricity, domestic water pipes, police station, a clinic, and so on. Some do have a small clinic, but a lot of these villages are just a few houses in close proximity to each other along the Yukon and other Rivers.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-30-2015 at 02:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska