Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2015, 08:23 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,206 times

Advertisements

Alright guys, I have researched this and can not find an answer. I know I can mail a rifle/shotgun from myself to myself, but it seems that I can have someone within the state of AK mail a rifle/shotgun to me:
From ATF:

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State.

I ask, b/c I have something I was going to trade with a guy in another village. My trip to Anchorage was canceled so we couldn't meet. It seems we can mail to each other since we are both AK residents. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,239 times
I believe you must ship it to yourself in c/o the third party. See below:

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another State.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm

Registered mail, no identifying markings on the package. I believe Alaska Airlines is usually cheaper and easier, but I don't know if that is an option for you.

Oh, here is a post of stiff's from several years ago; way more information:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ancho...es-alaska.html

Old 12-29-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I believe you must ship it to yourself in c/o the third party. See below:

B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service? A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another State.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A) and 922(e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm

Registered mail, no identifying markings on the package. I believe Alaska Airlines is usually cheaper and easier, but I don't know if that is an option for you.

Oh, here is a post of stiff's from several years ago; way more information:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ancho...es-alaska.html
Interstate you can ship to yourself from yourself or with the c/o a 3rd party, but it seems that you could mail a rifle to me if I buy it from you and we are both residents. At least that is what it seems like to me.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Interstate you can ship to yourself from yourself or with the c/o a 3rd party, but it seems that you could mail a rifle to me if I buy it from you and we are both residents. At least that is what it seems like to me.
I believe that is technically what the rules state. Shipping between FFL's is out of the question in this scenario, right?

Old 12-30-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I believe that is technically what the rules state. Shipping between FFL's is out of the question in this scenario, right?
We have a local ffl...when you can get ahold of him. I've been waiting 4 months for a return call/email. Not very reliable.

Also the ffl fee on both ends kind of sucks. $45 in my end. That's crazy expensive.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
We have a local ffl...when you can get ahold of him. I've been waiting 4 months for a return call/email. Not very reliable.

Also the ffl fee on both ends kind of sucks. $45 in my end. That's crazy expensive.
Oh wow that sucks. When I picked up from Sentry Hardware it was $20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: