Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 08:48 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What about going up to Chena Hot Springs for a couple of days?

I think there are one or two small lodges in Denali that stay open for winter guests. I want to say Earthsong, but that was several years ago so who knows.

Talkeetna in the winter is a great experience. They'll be able to see the real town without the layer of summer tourists. Climbing season starts in Feb., so there will be a few visitors, but nothing like during summer.
That would be a great idea. If the Auroras don't show when they are in Fairbanks, I was planning on taking them to a few places. The Hot Springs could be a nice experience. They also wanted to go on a sled dog ride, so the link you post it could be a good place to go.

Thanks Met, for the link. I will email it to them.

In fact, I am going to send them the link to this thread, that way they can read it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 07:47 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,673,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That would be a great idea. If the Auroras don't show when they are in Fairbanks, I was planning on taking them to a few places. The Hot Springs could be a nice experience. They also wanted to go on a sled dog ride, so the link you post it could be a good place to go.

Thanks Met, for the link. I will email it to them.

In fact, I am going to send them the link to this thread, that way they can read it all.
I just spent five days at Chena Hot Springs in October, and it was a fun experience. I went primarily to see the aurora, but the hot springs also gave me plenty to do during the daytime. There are hiking trails, tours of the grounds, and of course, soaking in the hot springs (both indoor and outdoor). The biggest drawback was no wifi. I rented a car in Fairbanks and when I felt the need to get in touch with current events, I just drove back and hung out in the Fred Meyer coffee shop for a couple hours.

Old 02-14-2016, 12:10 PM

Thanks to all of you for your great ideas. These should be very useful to the friends visiting from Florida around the by the end of next week. They decided not to take the first train ride, but instead to leave Anchorage and stay around Fairbanks three days or so.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:02 PM

Update on the friends who came to visit:

They left Anchorage in the morning on the train , and had a blast along the way taking pictures. I was told that they saw plenty of wildlife, and that the scenery was magnificent. They arrived to Fairbanks at 8:30PM last Saturday, and a little later we went for a drive hoping to see the Auroras, but it was just too cloudy. Made it to the Silver Gulch where they tasted some of the beer, which was found to be "excellent"

Sunday they took a 1-hour sled dog ride, and had a great time. The weather was perfect (in the 20s), and sunny. They were quite excited about it, so I was happy for them. After the ride we went to the Silver Gulch to eat and have another beer since it was somewhat close to the sled dog place. I didn't have any beer of course, because I was the driving.

Monday we visited the UAF museum where we spent a few hours looking around, and later ended in Downtown Fairbanks where we visited the Morris Cultural Center. I had never been there before, and was pleasantly surprised as follows: the place is amazing, with great displays that include some sort of murals or vistas of the Alaska landscape during the Fall. When you stand in front of these paintings or whatever they are, you are standing by the edge of the landscape, and it feels like you can just walk right into it for a long hike. Not kidding! This is a great place to visit, because everything relates to Fairbanks, Nenana, with lots and lots of information, brochures, videos about the people, eld dogs, UAF, and the rest. Best of all, it's free

They left early in the morning Tuesday (yesterday).

Old 02-23-2016, 10:03 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
Sounds like you and your friends had fun. I love the silver gulch and pretty much any micro brewery for that matter . Glad everyone had a good time.

I always love free things, and will check out the cultural center sooner than later. I've driven by it numerous times but was never quite sure what it was. I've also heard good things about the UAF museum as well and it's on my list of things to do one of these days.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:57 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,364 times
Did they return by train? How did they like the food on the train? Glad they had a good time, just send them some of your shots of the N lights.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
That sounds awesome. It sounds like they had a great time. What did they think of the sled dog tour?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Sounds like you and your friends had fun. I love the silver gulch and pretty much any micro brewery for that matter . Glad everyone had a good time.

I always love free things, and will check out the cultural center sooner than later. I've driven by it numerous times but was never quite sure what it was. I've also heard good things about the UAF museum as well and it's on my list of things to do one of these days.
Both are good places to visit, but I found the Morris Thompson Cultural Center to be a wealth of information about the people and activities around Fairbanks.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
Did they return by train? How did they like the food on the train? Glad they had a good time, just send them some of your shots of the N lights.
They flew to Anchorage, where they plan to spend a couple of days, instead of taking a train ride. Yes, I plan mail them a CD with some photos I took of them, plus some photos of the Auroras and such.

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
That sounds awesome. It sounds like they had a great time. What did they think of the sled dog tour?
The sled dog ride was perhaps the highlight of the trip. They had a real nice time and were all exited about the dogs and everything-even left a tip for the musher The train ride was also real good, since they had the chance to take photos of the scenery, and saw around 20 moose, eagles, and a bear.

The name of the sled dog business is, "Paws for Adventures" (something like that), located off Chena Hot Springs Road, not too far before turning right on Nordale Road. They also have "mushing tours" that last a few days, I believe. The customers and mushers sled about 20 miles out, and set-up a campsite to stay at camping on the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska